United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 05-02-2014, 12:05 PM
Mr Castro

He can go back to his job on La Liga on sky now, and spot the next Michu.

Unread 05-02-2014, 12:16 PM
S/Side.Red

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Hver
to be fair he won stuff in Denmark and 2 of his jobs were in spain where you get no were if you aren't manageing Barcelona or Real Madrid.

Unread 05-02-2014, 12:31 PM
Doctor Hver

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
To befair Solskjaer won the league twice in Noreway. So if I had to pick between Solskjaer or Laudrup. I did take Solskjear.

Unread 05-02-2014, 02:27 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Except at Old Trafford :shakehead:

But they have the highest average possession in the league at 60% and highest team pass completion at 86%. It surely makes up the difference given that individually they're low on quality from what I've seen. Without that philosophy I doubt they'd be in the top flight.
only 3 sides have scored less away goals

only 1 team has conceded more home goals

possession is irrelevant if 1/ it's safety first 2/ you're getting picked of

Unread 05-02-2014, 02:45 PM
Zorg

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb
Fewer

Unread 05-02-2014, 03:34 PM
Mr Castro

Quote:

only 1 team has conceded more home goals

possession is irrelevant if 1/ it's safety first 2/ you're getting picked of
Absolutely. In the game the other night City had 65% possession but it was mainly in the middle third where chelsea knew they couldn't be hurt, and Mourinho knew it.

Heck, we beat Swansea in the league twice this season with a lot less possession.

Unread 05-02-2014, 03:47 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorg
Fewer
only 3 sides have scored less than the 7 away goals swansea have managed

Unread 05-02-2014, 03:49 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Castro
Absolutely. In the game the other night City had 65% possession but it was mainly in the middle third where chelsea knew they couldn't be hurt, and Mourinho knew it.

Heck, we beat Swansea in the league twice this season with a lot less possession.

Indeed, counter-attacking can be effective.

But greater possession clearly increases the chance of winning, on average. Swansea aside, the top half of the possession league is the top half of the Premier League. So there's clearly a correlation between having the ball and winning games

Unread 05-02-2014, 03:58 PM
Zorg

Quote:
only 3 sides have scored less than the 7 away goals swansea have managed

Unread 05-02-2014, 04:00 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorg
less smilies would be nice

Unread 05-02-2014, 04:05 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:

But greater possession clearly increases the chance of winning, on average. Swansea aside, the top half of the possession league is the top half of the Premier League. So there's clearly a correlation between having the ball and winning games
possession isn't the correlation though, budget is the correlation

southampton are the exception i suppose and fair play to them. then again, i don't know their possession stats.

i didn't miss your flourish btw ;-}

Unread 05-02-2014, 04:15 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
possession isn't the correlation though, budget is the correlation

southampton are the exception i suppose and fair play to them. then again, i don't know their possession stats.

i didn't miss your flourish btw ;-}
Second after Swansea

I really think it's that style, so uncommon in the bottom half of the Premier League, that keeps their heads above water. Given that they have a squad full of unknowns and Spanish rejects being managed by a bloke they hate, it's hard to think what else it may be

Unread 05-02-2014, 04:40 PM
Mr Castro

Quote:

I just think that's being too simplistic. Clearly Barcelona are the greatest example of a team having lots of the ball, but in some games that they struggle to win, they just have possession for possessions sake. Yes, if you have 65-75% of possession your chance of winning is greater than if you have say only 53%. I think knowing what to do with the ball wins you more games than knowing how to have lots of it. Chelsea staying unbeaten at Old Trafford, The Emirates and the Etiad with less possession in all of those games should tell you something.

We've even learned how to win with less possession this season and last. Arsenal and Swansea being the best examples.

Unread 05-02-2014, 05:02 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
I just think that's being too simplistic. Clearly Barcelona are the greatest example of a team having lots of the ball, but in some games that they struggle to win, they just have possession for possessions sake. Yes, if you have 65-75% of possession your chance of winning is greater than if you have say only 53%. I think knowing what to do with the ball wins you more games than knowing how to have lots of it. Chelsea staying unbeaten at Old Trafford, The Emirates and the Etiad with less possession in all of those games should tell you something.

We've even learned how to win with less possession this season and last. Arsenal and Swansea being the best examples.
That's all I'm saying. And which is why I think Swansea's approach is probably their best asset.

Totally agree with the rest of your post. There is more than one way to win a football match.

Unread 05-02-2014, 06:17 PM
Tumescent Throb

according to this, United's ball possession stats are better than Liverpool, Southampton and Everton, very similar to Swansea and not far off Chelsea, City and Arsenal

southampton had 77% possession at home to Villa and lost 3-2 ffs

http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/en/pr...ewerb_GB1.html

Unread 05-02-2014, 06:19 PM
andyroo

But the argument isn't that more possession makes you unbeatable, just that it makes winning easier. You'll still lose sometimes, everybody does.

Unread 05-02-2014, 06:26 PM
dodger

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyroo
. You'll still lose sometimes, everybody does.

Unread 05-02-2014, 07:48 PM
Grimson

Quote:

Now see, this is what I find a little simplistic, as it implies:

1) Barca play a possession game
2) Sometimes they struggle
3) #2 must be because of #1

Are we sure that's correct? And even if so, don't we have to consider:

4) They win a LOT.

...and wouldn't that by logical extension also be because of #1?

fwiw when I've seen Barca struggle, it's either been poor finishing or poor defending to blame.

Unread 05-02-2014, 08:05 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimson

4) They win a LOT.

fwiw when I've seen Barca struggle, it's either been poor finishing or poor defending to blame.
without getting into their record in recent seasons, surely barcelona aren't the best control in a conversation about swansea and southampton ?

barcelona do have a certain style, but the secret of their success of late has been bringing through a large group of players from their own set-up and mixing them with big money signings, no?

Unread 05-02-2014, 08:08 PM
Mr Castro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimson

4) They win a LOT.

I probably worded it wrong. What I mean is they sometimes pass the ball around rather than going for the killer touch because they don't want to risk losing possession. But this season i'll say because they're more direct they have less of this possession for possessions sake.

They do win a lot because teams tire chasing the ball. They never stop posting the ball. If you watch barca they play from the back, therefore they waste little possession which they'd lose by kicking the ball long.

They lost last Saturday because of both the reasons you mentioned. When they lose they stil have a lot of the ball. I don't know this to be a fact but I would hazard a guess that their possession stats are really high in the last 15/20 minutes of matches they're losing in, with the opposing team turning their penalty area into a holiday camp. I remember when United used to do this.

Edit : I brought Barcelona in because they seem to be the go to team when discussing possession football.

You're right, they do a good mix of imported/youth players. They're taught the 'Barcelona way' from a very early age at La Masia
Closed Thread