Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 26-04-2018, 10:16 AM
Denis Irwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by saffers
Low: none
High: every moment supporting united

Blessed to support the greatest club in the world.

Absolootly this. If you can’t take the defeats and get up again to support the lads, you should try supporting another club. Doesn’t get better than United.

Obvs been numerous downs but ffs...

Supporters/customers. Plain to see.

Unread 26-04-2018, 10:20 AM
guerreiro

Lowest ‘92
Highest ‘93.

Really felt I could die happy after ‘93, whole childhood growing up with Liverpool dominating and that cloud hanging over us.

‘92 i was in student halls and some Bolton scouse fan starting banging on my door laughing (he was a mate); absolutely battered him and still feel bad about it, was like the chicken scene from Family Guy.

Unread 26-04-2018, 10:22 AM
Lazlo Panaflex

Quote:
Low: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis Irwell
Absolootly this.

but.... eh..

of course there are downs. but you're right the highs mean more when there are lows.

for me the lows are anfield 1992, wham away & everton fa cup 1995, milan semi 2007

They were harder to stomach than even moyes years or the 1-6

high hopes dashed.

the highs are obvious

Unread 26-04-2018, 10:30 AM
Ethers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis Irwell
Absolootly this. If you can’t take the defeats and get up again to support the lads, you should try supporting another club. Doesn’t get better than United.

Supporters/customers. Plain to see.
Nobody is saying they decided to £#%&! it off after their personal low you try hard cretin.

Anyway,

High : Beating Barca in 1991
Low : May 2005.

Unread 26-04-2018, 10:32 AM
dragflick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethers
Nobody is saying they decided to £#%&! it off after their personal low you try hard cretin.

Anyway,

High : Beating Barca in 1991
Low : May 2005
Really?

Unread 26-04-2018, 10:34 AM
TheFatGoth

Highest: 1999
Lowest: 2003 League Cup final

Unread 26-04-2018, 10:36 AM
believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarkNowHear
Bobby Stokes (offside) ruined our return

New Year’s Day - 26th May 1999
New Year’s Day was the 1st Jan pal

Unread 26-04-2018, 10:45 AM
Ethers

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragflick
Really?
Yep. Cup Winners Cup was the first trophy I ever saw us win (wasn’t allowed to stay up until the end of the FA Cup Final replay ) will always be my favourite.

2005 was worse than losing any single football game. A lot of hard work came to nothing, and a lot of good reds were lost. Whether you agree with their decision or not, it was very sad imo

Unread 26-04-2018, 10:49 AM
dragflick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethers
Yep. Cup Winners Cup was the first trophy I ever saw us win (wasn’t allowed to stay up until the end of the FA Cup Final replay ) will always be my favourite.

2005 was worse than losing any single football game. A lot of hard work came to nothing, and a lot of good reds were lost. Whether you agree with their decision or not, it was very sad imo
Ah... May 2005 i thought you meant the scouse winning the european cup. That makes more sense then

Unread 26-04-2018, 10:52 AM
Ethers

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragflick
Ah... May 2005 i thought you meant the scouse winning the european cup. That makes more sense then
That was just an extra little kick in the %@#$&!s at the end of the month

Unread 26-04-2018, 02:05 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorg
Rotterdam highest for me. For various reasons like uni and living abroad I managed to miss actually attending many big moments in the 1990s (oot jcl).

Beating Barcelona to win a European trophy was just utterly surreal and unthinkable to me. I didn’t really remember European football and clubs like them, Milan etc seemed like gods from some divine footballing paradise a million light years away, especially since European matches weren’t on TV and Milan had made us look like a pub team in that friendly a few years earlier. Going over on the ferry, the Dutch cops, Hughes, Blackmore, the Barca end emptying in seconds. Koeman, Laudrup and Cruyff ffs

All my schoolmates refused to believe I was going until I was off school, then came back waving the ticket at them. Especially the berties

Cool story bro.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
the epitome of having no standards.

football is all about the ups and downs. being 2-0 down to arsenal in a cup final, getting back into it and then having the rug pulled from under you while bailey flaps.

uncritical viewing is a bit pointless, imnvho.

that said, I can't think of any real lows. 76 cup final, I realised that football just isn't fair. 79 was the last time I cried over football (wouldn't have, if we'd just lost 2-0). now, it's disappointment with every team sheet, but still.... I think the biggest lows were seeing the glazer takeover was going ahead and the day we appointed moyes. in between...

highs? 85 cup final. atmosphere made by moran's sending off. wall of boos til whiteside scored. what. a. goal. lovely weather, too. or just watching giggs run with the ball. 99 semi goal. or his display v juve a couple of years before. palace away 92/93? selhurst never seemed like an away game. maybe going 3-0 up at anfield in 94 (if the game had finished after 24 minutes). jamie redknapp mouthing "f*** off" as he shook his head after giggs's goal was nice. giggs missing from 6 yards was down there with cantona falling on his arse against... um.. was it dortmund? schmeichel's save v zamorano.

could probably narrow it down to 100 if I had to. 85 cup final.

Great posts.

Unread 26-04-2018, 03:11 PM
shenwen

Quote:
Originally Posted by guerreiro
Lowest ‘92
Highest ‘93.
Good call. That game against Forest. Standing there totally numb when the final whistle went.

93 great, but for me nothing ever gets close to 99.

Unread 26-04-2018, 03:53 PM
rubbernecker

1976 - Really looked forward to finally going to the mythical Wembley after all that work collecting tokens had paid off and I had a ticket. £3 on the special from Picadilly and we were finally going to win something.As per £#%&!ing usual it was a let down but this all seemed extra cruel because we had been so near.On the train back home everyone was resigned that we were never going to win anything and the league was absolutely beyond us.

1993 We did finally did it

1999 was great but not as good as 93 because it was pretty much expected .Well if not entirely expected it certainly wasn't a surprise to be winning by then.

In 93 after decades of bitter disappointment we had done it Even so I still couldn't believe it even after picking up the trophy as the acceptance of being also rans was ingrained so deep and that's why I rate 93 over 99.

Unread 26-04-2018, 05:02 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazlo Panaflex
but.... eh..

of course there are downs. but you're right the highs mean more when there are lows.

for me the lows are anfield 1992, wham away & everton fa cup 1995, milan semi 2007

They were harder to stomach than even moyes years or the 1-6

high hopes dashed.

the highs are obvious
Leverkusen was a LOT worse than that tbh

Unread 26-04-2018, 07:14 PM
sa7

Quote:
Originally Posted by red in cumbria
Leverkusen was a LOT worse than that tbh
Milan was half-expected. They’d rested players because they had given up on the league, meanwhile our lads were dead on their feet having gone toe to toe with an excellent Chelsea side all season. Ronaldo was better than Kaka that season, should’ve won the Golden Door if it weren’t for the bizarre obsession with having had to have won the European Cup.

Unread 26-04-2018, 07:24 PM
Zorg

Still never won the Golden Door iirc?

Unread 26-04-2018, 07:29 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa7
Milan was half-expected. They’d rested players because they had given up on the league, meanwhile our lads were dead on their feet having gone toe to toe with an excellent Chelsea side all season. Ronaldo was better than Kaka that season, should’ve won the Golden Door if it weren’t for the bizarre obsession with having had to have won the European Cup.
Kaka basically won it for that one game against us tbph.

Unread 26-04-2018, 07:44 PM
Chris Quayd

Some of those European exits were soul destroying, Dortmund, Porto, Madrid x 2, Leverkusen and Rome ruined entire summers. They all hurt so much because we were sure we would win, I was absolutely gay with hope each and every time that we would be reaching the holy grail only for some inexplicable performance to bring the illusion (delusion) crashing down.

May 2005 was multiple gut-punches crammed in to the space of about 2 weeks though the sense of foreboding had been building for months. The summer was traumatic and even into the following season there was a sense of loss as no-one knew what would happen to the club under the Glazers, definitely the lowest point and Istanbul played a huge part in that.

As for the highs, there are too many to remember let alone put them on here. From my first goon for Hughes v Oldham in '94 to every match in the 90's having something magical about watching the famous Manchester United. There are fans of other clubs who don't get to experience in a lifetime the almost weekly highs of '99. The '07 season is up there in a different way, the season started without the expectations of previous years and even away tickets were reasonably attainable. Going to almost every away match I felt like an extension of the team and having seen Ronnie make his debut while being the same age as both Rooney and him somehow added to it.

Unread 26-04-2018, 07:55 PM
Bunker Buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Quayd
Some of those European exits were soul destroying, Dortmund, Porto, Madrid x 2, Leverkusen and Rome ruined entire summers. They all hurt so much because we were sure we would win, I was absolutely gay with hope each and every time that we would be reaching the holy grail only for some inexplicable performance to bring the illusion (delusion) crashing down.

May 2005 was multiple gut-punches crammed in to the space of about 2 weeks though the sense of foreboding had been building for months. The summer was traumatic and even into the following season there was a sense of loss as no-one knew what would happen to the club under the Glazers, definitely the lowest point and Istanbul played a huge part in that.

As for the highs, there are too many to remember let alone put them on here. From my first goon for Hughes v Oldham in '94 to every match in the 90's having something magical about watching the famous Manchester United. There are fans of other clubs who don't get to experience in a lifetime the almost weekly highs of '99. The '07 season is up there in a different way, the season started without the expectations of previous years and even away tickets were reasonably attainable. Going to almost every away match I felt like an extension of the team and having seen Ronnie make his debut while being the same age as both Rooney and him somehow added to it.
Blackburn away when the perch was smashed. Mitte cigars

Unread 26-04-2018, 08:10 PM
Chris Quayd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker Buster
Blackburn away when the perch was smashed. Mitte cigars
Can't believe I missed that out tbh, felt like a life's work complete there and then. Growing up with 18 + 4 ending every childhood argument, getting to 19 ahead of them was chased down in hope as much as expectation. Still remember some older reds unpacking a hamper at full time with champagne bottles and flutes at the ready
Closed Thread