United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 31-05-2017, 09:12 PM
sa7

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Boy Ronaldo!
They're record in Europe really is pathetic. Hence why no one is bothered they won't be in the CL next season and they'll probably get dumped out of the Europa come the last 16's.

Thing is when he does go, they won't do any better.
When was the last time they knocked out a really useful side?

I'm thinking Milan in 2008 before getting beaten by the Scousers

Unread 31-05-2017, 10:18 PM
Whip Hubley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Redface
It really isn't. They've finished above us each of the last three seasons.
Doesn't fit the narrative pal

Unread 31-05-2017, 11:11 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whip Hubley
Doesn't fit the narrative pal
Last four seasons, actually?

Unread 31-05-2017, 11:18 PM
Whip Hubley

Quote:
Originally Posted by red in cumbria
Last four seasons, actually?
Correct

Unread 31-05-2017, 11:42 PM
S/Side.Red

And in each they finished higher than they did this season. This being their worst season for 25 odd years etc.

Didn't think I'd have to point that out ffs

Unread 01-06-2017, 03:09 AM
Stickman

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
And in each they finished higher than they did this season. This being their worst season for 25 odd years etc.

We're in the CL, relax bru.

Unread 01-06-2017, 07:17 AM
Billy Redface

Quote:

You don't. None of it really does need pointing out because it's hardly noteworthy. They've been above us for four years, barring a few weeks ago for a couple of games. They were above us for most of this year too.

We're hitting points hauls of between 65 and 70 these days. Id expect most arsenal teams to better that. One of the least shocking aspects of this season tbh.

And I'm not really arsed which teams finish above us. I'd just rather it wasn't £#%&!ing five of them

Unread 01-06-2017, 07:35 AM
Crumps

Quote:
You don't. None of it really does need pointing out because it's hardly noteworthy. They've been above us for four years, barring a few weeks ago for a couple of games. They were above us for most of this year too.

We're hitting points hauls of between 65 and 70 these days. Id expect most arsenal teams to better that. One of the least shocking aspects of this season tbh.

And I'm not really arsed which teams finish above us. I'd just rather it wasn't £#%&!ing five of them
Madness how we've fell behind as our squad got absolutley decimated of it's quality and mismanaged in the three years post Fergie. Will be pretty much rectified after this window I reckon though. State of the players and experience that was let go and not replaced, the shit that was brought in didn't help either.

Unread 01-06-2017, 07:47 AM
Billy Redface

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crumps
Madness how we've fell behind as our squad got absolutley decimated of it's quality and mismanaged in the three years post Fergie. Will be pretty much rectified after this window I reckon though. State of the players and experience that was let go and not replaced, the shit that was brought in didn't help either.
It's improving. A 5 in, 5 out turnover during the next two couple of windows and we'll be laughing.

We're not as far as away as people like to suggest. Leicester and Chelsea have proven you can quickly click and comfortably win this league.

Unread 01-06-2017, 07:57 AM
Crumps

Quote:
It's improving. A 5 in, 5 out turnover during the next two couple of windows and we'll be laughing.

We're not as far as away as people like to suggest. Leicester and Chelsea have proven you can quickly click and comfortably win this league.
Think people will be surprised how much we improve on paper next season. In all but a couple of the ridiculous run of draws we completely dominated the games but were shite in front of goal despite making chances. We will see more goals from Rashford, Pogba, Martial (if he stays) and Micki as well as adding Grizzy at least. A successful United has goals shared about and the prospective squad should have that. A good pre season with the group together from day one of training is a must. We need to hit the ground running.

Unread 01-06-2017, 08:16 AM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Problem with this is that almost everybody called for an axe to be taken to the squad at the time. Now they're great players?

I loathe to in any way criticise Fergie, but given that almost all our best players were old when he left, the drop-off in squad quality is not that surprising. Personally I think we've got a very strong squad, but still lack leadership. And to get the best out of some of them.

Unread 01-06-2017, 08:21 AM
Crumps

Quote:
Problem with this is that almost everybody called for an axe to be taken to the squad at the time. Now they're great players?

I loathe to in any way criticise Fergie, but given that almost all our best players were old when he left, the drop-off in squad quality is not that surprising. Personally I think we've got a very strong squad, but still lack leadership. And to get the best out of some of them.
The answer was in the hilighted bit. Players were let go and the players brought in weren't as good as who they replaced. Moyes £#%&!ed it and then LVG doubly £#%&!ed it. It was a title winning squad and very few of them were universally disliked.

Satan with a snowball.

Unread 01-06-2017, 08:30 AM
Part 36 Offer

Quote:
The answer was in the hilighted bit. Players were let go and the players brought in weren't as good as who they replaced. Moyes £#%&!ed it and then LVG doubly £#%&!ed it. It was a title winning squad and very few of them were universally disliked.

Satan with a snowball.

Unread 01-06-2017, 08:33 AM
Crumps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Part 36 Offer
I was as big of an LVG fan as anyone and bought in to his philosophy but it was pretty much a disaster all round apart from his use of some players who were already at the club.

Unread 01-06-2017, 09:09 AM
S/Side.Red

Quote:

Satan with a snowball.
Mate...

But United aren't paying for selling Evans, Kagawa and Welbz. They're paying for not getting enough quality in. We've been playing catch-up in the market ever since 2013. We signed six players in 2014 and pretty much everyone felt we were still several short.

Unread 01-06-2017, 09:27 AM
My Name is Keith

Quote:
Mate...

But United aren't paying for selling Evans, Kagawa and Welbz. They're paying for not getting enough quality in. We've been playing catch-up in the market ever since 2013. We signed six players in 2014 and pretty much everyone felt we were still several short.
Fergie left a stinker of a squad but with gill leaving, it became a huge festering turd. Careful squad management and astute purchases and it could have been dealt with but the club decided that men like Woodward and Moyes could deal with the biggest change in any modern club's history.

Van gaal was a massive kick in the balls for me - the club realises it has to arrest the decline quickly so gets in a experienced proven pro and the stupid dick embarks on some truly cataclysmic squad management and horrifically unsuccessful purchases.

We are where we are because the club somehow conspired to £#%&! up Ferguson's successsion despite the whole club saying that we wouldn't £#%&! up the succession of a great manager ever again.

We have - and the jury's still out as to whether we have started to finally address it.

Unread 01-06-2017, 09:42 AM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Name is Keith
Fergie left a stinker of a squad but with gill leaving, it became a huge festering turd. Careful squad management and astute purchases and it could have been dealt with but the club decided that men like Woodward and Moyes could deal with the biggest change in any modern club's history.

Van gaal was a massive kick in the balls for me - the club realises it has to arrest the decline quickly so gets in a experienced proven pro and the stupid dick embarks on some truly cataclysmic squad management and horrifically unsuccessful purchases.

We are where we are because the club somehow conspired to £#%&! up Ferguson's successsion despite the whole club saying that we wouldn't £#%&! up the succession of a great manager ever again.

We have - and the jury's still out as to whether we have started to finally address it.
Everything doesn't fall apart just because you make three or four poor signings across a couple of years. Many clubs do that.

Like I say, we've been playing catch-up in the market for years. Remember in 2014, we signed Rojo, Blind, Shaw, Herrera, Di Maria and Falcao. On paper an excellent summer and an unusually high amount of signings. Yet most still felt we needed three or four more, regardless of how those settled. Says a lot about how much work needed doing. Left so little room for error in the market.

Four LvG signings started the final btw. And Rojo would have if he'd been fit. Needed a big signing to pay off. Martial did initially

Unread 01-06-2017, 09:55 AM
Crumps

Quote:
Mate...

Yes, hence the mismanagement. Should have been replaced but weren't so that's exactly what £#%&!ed it and it left the squad unbalanced and lacking quality and depth. This is despite loads of money being spent. Can our probably add Nani and Pea to that and if we would have still had them 5 and used them properly instead of forcing square pegs in round holes we'd be better off i reckon. Loathe to say it as he was legend in my eyes but his style of football is a thing of the past and he was a disaster.

Unread 01-06-2017, 10:06 AM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Yes, hence the mismanagement. Should have been replaced but weren't so that's exactly what £#%&!ed it and it left the squad unbalanced and lacking quality and depth. This is despite loads of money being spent. Can our probably add Nani and Pea to that and if we would have still had them 5 and used them properly instead of forcing square pegs in round holes we'd be better off i reckon. Loathe to say it as he was legend in my eyes but his style of football is a thing of the past and he was a disaster.
The players we brought in and still have (ie - Herrera, Rojo, Blind, Shaw, Martial) are better than Evans, Kagawa, Nani, Cleverley, Buttner, Welbeck and Chicharito imo.

Needed more top class ones, though. So much initial optimism over Hummels, Vidal, Mueller etc

Unread 01-06-2017, 10:23 AM
Crumps

Quote:
The players we brought in and still have (ie - Herrera, Rojo, Blind, Shaw, Martial) are better than Evans, Kagawa, Nani, Cleverley, Buttner, Welbeck and Chicharito imo.

Needed more top class ones, though. So much initial optimism over Hummels, Vidal, Mueller etc
We lost so much experience to replace them with young and unproven players was a £#%&! up. Apart from Herrera the jury is still out on every post Fergie signing although it looks like Blind may be kept as a utility player. Di Maria, Falcao and Fellaini bleurgh. Would we really have been worse off if some were kept and some never bought? I'm not convinced.

Forgot about cleverly, £#%&! that guy.
Closed Thread