United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 26-05-2010, 10:15 AM
Dueling Banjos

Default Re: So, what was you doing 11 years ago today?

Waking up with a hangover in our hotel on the Diagonal. Trying to get in touch with a mate who was coming in from Lloret (I think). He was on a Millwest trip but he had his own ticket (which he kept very quiet about). Me and another mate were just leaving the hotel as a taxi pulled up and out he popped with some guy he'd met from the Chester branch. They both ended up with sunstroke after traipsing round Barca all day whilst me and my mate kept cool in shady bars topping up on beer. Got back late afternoon and found them kipping on the floor outside our room. Quick ablutions and a look at the ground from our balcony and off we went. Gave Norman Davies a big shout-out down a side street and he seemed pretty chuffed he was recognised. All in all not a bad day.

Unread 26-05-2010, 10:20 AM
My Name is Keith

The place was literally swimming with United.

Hard to guess how many there were but it must have been 150k+ in Barca and 60k+ in the ground.

It was quite simply £#%&!ing brilliant.

After something like Barca, it's tempting to get drawn into the usual football supporter tripe where you have to say something like: "all those barren years watching so and so were vindicated that night".

But there's no need to say any of that with United because watching United is £#%&!ing ace and always has been.

Unread 26-05-2010, 11:10 AM
dodger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
At college. Revising for my a-levels.

Then went home and watched the final with my grandad. It was the last trophy he ever saw united win. Thankgod I got to share the moment with him.
Don't bother, he could have let him live.

Unread 26-05-2010, 11:23 AM
Stakker

Woke up in the caravan we had rented at Camping Tres Estrellas in Casteldefelds.

We were the only English there, and it was RAMMED with Germans in their big campervans with crates of their own beer.

We hung out in the bar until lunchtime then headed into town on a bus to join the throng on the Ramblas. What a £#%&!ing day.

Didn't get home til about 9am, having slept on the grass next to the street in the next town along (i got a nightbus and fell asleep)

Unread 26-05-2010, 11:29 AM
Stakker

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrills_pills_bellyaches
Brought a tear to my eye! Superb.

Unread 26-05-2010, 01:19 PM
TravellingRed

Getting pissed in Barca with my dad and all the other lads who used to go on our minibus to watch United. Was only 18 and they ran out of beer where we were drinking and the only thing left was sherry so was drinking that out of the bottle was £#%&!ing hammered. £#%&!ing amazing trip that, just a pity one of our fellow fredsters who I used to go to games with couldn't go as he had an A-level the next day

Unread 26-05-2010, 01:23 PM
forzagarza

I bought a leather bound diary and filled in in with joyous memories so I could recollect them in years to come.

Unread 26-05-2010, 01:23 PM
Zorg

Thumbs up Re: So, what was you doing 11 years ago today?

Right about now I was in a Russian history lecture in Moscow, glancing at my watch every four seconds.

In the evening I was at the British Embassy bar, great night.

Unread 26-05-2010, 01:35 PM
Dueling Banjos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorg
Right about now I was in a Russian history lecture in Moscow, glancing at my watch every four seconds.

In the evening I was at the British Embassy bar, great night.
And by a strange twist of fate you were strolling down the Ramblas 2 years ago last Friday?

Unread 26-05-2010, 01:53 PM
thenorthwillriseagain

in school aged 9

Unread 26-05-2010, 02:32 PM
Baron

I was 18, had to work - it coincided with a time of my life when I've never been so skint as that... utterly gutting but I had to cover a night shift. One of the other lads was United as well & we went to the pub 2 hours before kick off & then proceded to get as slaughtered as possible knowing full well that win or lose, my boss wouldn't give a £#%&! that night. A whole pub in Staines, the £#%&!ing armpit of the world, went utterly £#%&!ing mental that night - I jumped so high I punched a hole in the ceiling when Ole won it, got back to work & slept it off in a bin that you put all the paper shavings in.

Unreal.

Unread 26-05-2010, 04:59 PM
Whip Hubley

GCSE days, unfortunately.

For me moscow was the greatest night of my life for being there, but I fully understand why '99 supercedes it. Treble FFS.

Watched it in the local with my sister and her mates, all buying me drinks (vodka and apple? wtf?)

the place got £#%&!ing ruined when the first went in, half the pub didn't realise we'd scored again. landlord didn't give a £#%&! but I bet the bill for smashed glasses, tables and windows hurt the next day

Unread 26-05-2010, 05:13 PM
THEOS

Stayed in Salou for the week.

Hire car on the day of the game, drove into Barcelona and had to keep stopping for one of the other lads to puke after the previous night. He was puking so hard his nose was bleeding

Slept on a park bench somewhere near the port as we were to £#%&!ed to find the car after the game! Best night of our lives

Unread 26-05-2010, 05:39 PM
stax

I spent most of the 25th on the piss in Las Ramblas. 26th tried to stay off it a bit so I could savour/remember the match. About now 11 years ago I'd getting the tube to the ground.

After the match back to Las Ramblas via a few bars - anybody else at the bottom of Las Ramblas next to the statue about 2am singing Happy Birthday Matt Busby?

Pure magic

Unread 26-05-2010, 06:46 PM
THEOS

Quote:
Originally Posted by stax
I spent most of the 25th on the piss in Las Ramblas. 26th tried to stay off it a bit so I could savour/remember the match. About now 11 years ago I'd getting the tube to the ground.

After the match back to Las Ramblas via a few bars - anybody else at the bottom of Las Ramblas next to the statue about 2am singing Happy Birthday Matt Busby?

Pure magic
Yeah we were there - lads climbing the statue draping flags over it. Words cant describe the feeling - the memory will stay with me until Alzheimers sets in!!

Unread 26-05-2010, 07:29 PM
stax

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEOS
Yeah we were there - lads climbing the statue draping flags over it. Words cant describe the feeling - the memory will stay with me until Alzheimers sets in!!
likewise mate

Unread 26-05-2010, 07:43 PM
Mark Corrigan

11 years ffs

Unread 26-05-2010, 07:57 PM
wee man

just about now screaming at Clive Tyldlsey "it wasn't £#%&!ing deflected"

Unread 26-05-2010, 08:09 PM
Argentina

In school learning how to decline the verb 'to be'

Unread 26-05-2010, 08:39 PM
MJ Ramone

Football Re: So, what was you doing 11 years ago today?

Watched it with my Dad.
Just an unforgettable night...an unforgettable week....an unforgettable month....an unforgettable Season ffs.
It can never be that good again because it was perfect. The standard of the opponents (no 'gimmes' ANYWHERE in ANY comp) ..the drama & excitement of the games.
The Treble.
Absolutely amazing.

* Just found this pic of Ole's goal against the scousers in 99! Never seen this pic before. Love the reaction of all the lads ...this game sometimes get's forgotten when you think back to 99.
We were £#%&!ing spoilt rotten that Season!!!!....£#%&!ing emotionally ruined by it!

Closed Thread