United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 13-03-2016, 08:22 PM
eusker

Default Video Refs

Regularly hear ex-players and pundits say that an official in the stand with access to video replays will only take a few seconds and will guarantee correct decisions.

I think Howard Webb's performance today blew that argument out of the water. Also, imagine giving telly companies influence over the outcome of matches.

Unread 13-03-2016, 08:35 PM
wiganste

Quote:
Originally Posted by eusker
Regularly hear ex-players and pundits say that an official in the stand with access to video replays will only take a few seconds and will guarantee correct decisions.

I think Howard Webb's performance today blew that argument out of the water. Also, imagine giving telly companies influence over the outcome of matches.
Please tell me Webb didn't think Payets dive was a penalty?

Unread 13-03-2016, 08:38 PM
armchair

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiganste
He totally did. And he thought our goal should've been ruled out for a foul on the goal keeper.

Good thread imo

Unread 13-03-2016, 08:38 PM
eusker

Quote:
He certainly did.

Unread 13-03-2016, 08:43 PM
Tronics

I never rated Webb highly but was still surprised he said it was a pen. They played the slomo just as he was starting o talk, and I thought he'd change his mind, yet somehow it only confirmed his stances

If we do get video replays it possibly should be an external group of remote officials or the match referee.

Dont they do a similar thing in rugby? Replay on the big screen and ref makes the call?

Not sure how close it is to being implemented though, think the big wigs at FIFA like the theatre of poor ref calls

Unread 13-03-2016, 08:45 PM
BarryX

It works pretty well in rugby, even if the game is slowed down a bit. If it's used for key decisions only (offsides that linesmen aren't certain about, violent conduct, handballs in the area...) then surely it would be a good thing? Just don't give Howard Webb the remote control

Unread 13-03-2016, 08:47 PM
forzagarza

project a hologram of the incident onto the pitch. Have a buzzer under every seat enabling everyone to vote on the decision.

Bonus is it will increase ticket sales especially in the away end

Unread 13-03-2016, 08:58 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
I'm all in favour of video refs tbh, because for every idiot like Webb who thinks that was a pen, we'll have another who gives us two a game for the sheer amount of handballs

Unread 13-03-2016, 09:02 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by armchair
He totally did. And he thought our goal should've been ruled out for a foul on the goal keeper.

Good thread imo
Agreed. Hadn't occurred to me during the game when Webb was chatting shit, but it's true and a very good point.

I'd quite like the ref to have a look at a video before issuing a straight red card in games due to the effect they have. All else, I dunno.

Unread 13-03-2016, 09:03 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
Agreed. Hadn't occurred to me during the game when Webb was chatting shit, but it's true and a very good point.

I'd quite like the ref to have a look at a video before issuing a straight red card in games due to the effect they have. All else, I dunno.
3 appeals system, like tennis. Team captain has the chance to have 3 appeals against decisions (only when the game is stopped btw)

Unread 13-03-2016, 09:06 PM
Fat Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tronics
I never rated Webb highly but was still surprised he said it was a pen. They played the slomo just as he was starting o talk, and I thought he'd change his mind, yet somehow it only confirmed his stances

If we do get video replays it possibly should be an external group of remote officials or the match referee.

Dont they do a similar thing in rugby? Replay on the big screen and ref makes the call?

Not sure how close it is to being implemented though, think the big wigs at FIFA like the theatre of poor ref calls
Season after next.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/35736241

http://www.utdforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=235341

Unread 13-03-2016, 09:06 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
3 appeals system, like tennis. Team captain has the chance to have 3 appeals against decisions (only when the game is stopped btw)
My fear would be a plenty of pointless and farcical late appeals to stop momentum.

Also, teams will misuse their appeals, get £#%&!ed by a decision and still complain. You'll still get refs being blamed, but then you'll also get into a weird situation whereby managers are judged partly on their use of appeals. Weird world to stray into

Unread 13-03-2016, 09:11 PM
Tumescent Throb

if 1 angle in 6 of an incident make it look like something do you just ignore the other 5 angles that make it look like something else?

Unread 13-03-2016, 09:13 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb
if 1 angle in 6 of an incident make it look like something do you just ignore the other 5 angles that make it look like something else?
Depends on which angle the pitch was watered.

Unread 13-03-2016, 09:15 PM
Zorg

The worst thing was that Webb was prattling on about how great it would be to have video refs. Blissfully unaware that his own opinions were proving beyond doubt that it would be a disaster

I can't believe such an experienced referee hasn't twigged that some incidents can be viewed hundreds of times from countless angles without a definitive answer.

Look at Eden Hazard that time - all those angles made it look like he booted the ball boy, than another one came out from a different angle that proved conclusively he did absolutely £#%&! all

Unread 13-03-2016, 09:18 PM
Fat Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorg
The worst thing was that Webb was prattling on about how great it would be to have video refs. Blissfully unaware that his own opinions were proving beyond doubt that it would be a disaster

I can't believe such an experienced referee hasn't twigged that some incidents can be viewed hundreds of times from countless angles without a definitive answer.

Look at Eden Hazard that time - all those angles made it look like he booted the ball boy, than another one came out from a different angle that proved conclusively he did absolutely £#%&! all
The NFL have video replays & a challenge system.

However, there are frequently incidents where despite viewing it multiple times from multiple angles, they still get it wrong.

Unread 13-03-2016, 09:19 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorg

scotland going ape-shit about rivaldo getting a penalty and knocking them out of france 98...

all angles ITV showed made it look a dive, the broadcast media went crazy calling him a cheat, the press followed up for 2 days...

then out of the blue ITV found footage from behind the goal from swedish TV that clearly showed it was a trip. will never forget john barnes* being shown this and saying he still thinks scotland were robbed

* will never forget it apart from it might have been someone else

Unread 13-03-2016, 09:21 PM
armchair

payet was going over before any contact. there was contact but only after the dive. no pen.

I don't think our claims were pens either.

Unread 13-03-2016, 09:23 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by armchair
payet was going over before any contact. there was contact but only after the dive. no pen.

I don't think our claims were pens either.
worst thing about it was all those £#%&!ing handball chants. jesus christ, when is that gonna go out of fashion

Unread 13-03-2016, 09:44 PM
jem

nothing wrong with video review in theory. webb is just a £#%&!ing idiot. don't even understand how he got everything wrong today. they were obvious. he needs dropping.
Closed Thread