United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 30-09-2009, 03:54 PM
Jack Duckworth

Default Re: Team v Wolfsburg - The Official Thread

have they sold their allocation? they usually make plenty of noise german fans.

Unread 30-09-2009, 03:56 PM
Sloppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Duckworth
Fuzzys gone.

Unread 30-09-2009, 03:58 PM
Withers

Foster

O'Shea
Vidic
Evans
Evra

Valencia
Fletcher
Anderson
Giggs

Berbatov
Rooney

Unread 30-09-2009, 04:06 PM
Coracao

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiganste
I noticed 'that' thread never got bttt'd on Saturday. Of course, if he's conceded one or two.....
He had £#%&! all to do.

Unread 30-09-2009, 04:41 PM
Sloane

MO7 Is out of tonights match
wolfsburg returned 600 tickets

Unread 30-09-2009, 04:44 PM
wiganste

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coracao
He had £#%&! all to do.
I know. I was waiting for a bite

Unread 30-09-2009, 05:18 PM
Part 36 Offer

Thumbs down Re: Team v Wolfsburg - The Official Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Baroo
i'd have wes in for the pieman

Unread 30-09-2009, 05:19 PM
Part 36 Offer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coracao
He had £#%&! all to do.
but you prefer that useless polish £#%&!er tbh. He is absolute garbage.

Unread 30-09-2009, 05:42 PM
Baron

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
They play with two strikers: Edin Dzeko and Grafite, with Obafemi Martins as the understudy. Zvjezdan Misimović is the main supply line and is the other member of the attacking trio which did so well last season as they won the title; he's the playmaker at the head of what is usually a diamond formation in midfield, with the Brazilian international Josue usually at the base infront of the back four. Dzeko is tall, strong and holds the ball up well, but also has decent technical ability. Grafite is the quicker, more direct striker who runs the channels and plays on the shoulder; he scored 28 league goals in 25 matches last year. As you mention, last season the Dzeko-Grafite partnership became the highest scoring in Bundesliga history, breaking the record set in the 70's by Gerd Muller and Uli Hoeness at Bayern Munich.

Like most German sides these days, they're somewhat fragile at the back and place a lot of emphasis on attack. On paper, it has everything needed to be a very open and entertaining game.
More on the Guardian website about the two Bosnians...

Quote:
Edin Dzeko is tall and physically imposing, a target man who from an early age has been described as "an English-style striker". Zvjezdan Misimovic is slow and perhaps a little rounder than most footballers, but blessed with the vision and technical excellence that places him squarely in the great tradition of Balkan playmakers. Dzeko is a Bosnian Muslim who lived in Sarajevo through the siege in 1992-96; Misimovic is a Bosnian Serb who was born and raised in Munich and played at youth level for Yugoslavia.
They are, in short, a couple odder than Jack Lemmon and Walter Matthau, and yet they have combined to lead Bosnia to the brink of World Cup qualification and, with Grafite adding Brazilian dazzle, they were instrumental in Wolfsburg's Bundesliga triumph last season. What they have in common is a determination to prove wrong those who underrated them early in their careers: tonight's game against Manchester United is a further opportunity to make a point.
"United have world-class players," said Misimovic, "so it will be hard. But I don't think they're at such a high level as they used to be. They're very strong when they're attacking, and watching [Wayne] Rooney and [Dimitar] Berbatov is great, and it's the same with [Nemanja] Vidic and [Rio] Ferdinand, but when you compare the defence and attack with the midfield, I can see a chance. We will attack them, because they have too much class for us to defend our goal for 90 minutes."
The defining moment of Misimovic's career arrived with his debut for Yugoslavia's Under-21 side against France in November 2002. "I came on in the 85th minute, when we were already losing 3-0," he said. "After the game, [the coach Vladimir] Petrovic told me that I was fat, slow and arrogant. That was the end of my playing for Yugoslavia. It was really disappointing, but now I don't care." And why would he when he is part of a double-act that embodies the spirit of unity that now propels the Bosnia national side?
"We played two years in the national team together, and also at Wolfsburg, so I know him and he knows me," Dzeko said. "He's a very good technical player and he's very clever, and for every striker it's important to have somebody like him behind you. He's a good passer and if you make a run he always sees it."
Dzeko also had to struggle to be taken seriously. When he joined Zeljeznicar Sarajevo as a 13-year-old, he was dismissed as "Kloc", a nickname deriving from the slang term for a lamp-post – he is now 6ft 3½in. A scout for the Czech side Teplice, though, saw potential in his rawness, and when they offered €50,000 (£45,000) for him, as one Zeljezniar director put it, "we thought we'd won the lottery".
Dzeko thrived. Perhaps the Czechs simply knew better how to use a target man, or perhaps it was just that Dzeko's development as a footballer was delayed by the circumstances in which he grew up. "I was six when the war started," he said. "It was terrible. My house was destroyed so we went to live with my grandparents. The whole family was there, maybe 15 people all staying in an apartment of about 35 square metres. It was very hard. We were stressed every day in case somebody we knew died. A lot of footballers start to play kicking a ball around in the street. For me that was impossible, but when the war finished I was much stronger, mentally."
After two seasons at Teplice, aged 21, he was sold to Wolfsburg for €4.7m. Two years later, when Milan and Arsenal made enquiries in the summer, they were told he was worth five times that. Having been referred to so often as an "English" player, Dzeko is keen to test himself against an English side. "It's a chance for me to play against some of the best defensive players in Europe, and I want to show that I can play on the big stage," he said. "I am a fan of Milan, but my big dream is to play in England."
If United are unsettled by the fat man and the lamp-post, that dream could come a step closer to reality tonight.

Unread 30-09-2009, 06:08 PM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanRobson'sLiver
WHat does anyone know about Wolfsburg? I know that they have the best strike partnership in in German league history but thats about it. One of the lads they have up front is called graffti isn't he. *writing is on the wall joke*
But do they have a £76 million hugely hootered winger who can't even get in their CL squad? Eh, eh? Bet they £#%&!ing don't, bunch of jokers!

Unread 30-09-2009, 06:09 PM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiganste
Agree.

The city game was as poor a goalkeeping performance as you're likely to see in a United jersey. But he bounced back well from that and looked assured at Stoke.

It's not all about pulling saves off. It's about commanding your box and working in tandem with the defence. That part of his game was first class.
Depends how old you are.

Unread 30-09-2009, 06:12 PM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Duckworth
I remember the first time I met Munich fans in the Tollgate, I thought the Skynard must've been playing nearby. Then some giant bearded lunatic asked me to arm-wrestle him at the bar, I politely declined. Shithouse that I am eh Acki.

Unread 30-09-2009, 06:40 PM
Sandman

From Partytown on RI.

pole
oshea
rio
vidic
evra
giggs
carrick
valencia
anderson
rooney
owen

Unread 30-09-2009, 06:41 PM
Switching Off

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonin jablonsky
I remember the first time I met Munich fans in the Tollgate, I thought the Skynard must've been playing nearby. Then some giant bearded lunatic asked me to arm-wrestle him at the bar, I politely declined. Shithouse that I am eh Acki.
apparently there's an arm wrestling trick that guarantees victory. The Scott Norton technique.

Unread 30-09-2009, 06:42 PM
Switching Off

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman
From Partytown on RI.

pole
oshea
rio
vidic
evra
giggs
carrick
valencia
anderson
rooney
owen
I'll take that. Happy Valencia is playing.

Unread 30-09-2009, 06:46 PM
Sparky***

Default *OFFICIAL* Man Utd v Wolfsburg match thread (Links, teams and doom)

Quote:

Old Trafford

Wednesday 30th September
KO 19:45

pole
oshea
rio
vidic
evra
giggs
carrick
valencia
anderson
rooney
owen

Unread 30-09-2009, 06:47 PM
Sandman

Default Re: *OFFICIAL* Man Utd v Wolfsburg match thread (Links, teams and doom)

From Partytown on RI.

pole
oshea
rio
vidic
evra
giggs
carrick
valencia
anderson
rooney
owen

Unread 30-09-2009, 06:49 PM
naes_sean

no fletcher?

Unread 30-09-2009, 06:50 PM
Gorilla Monsoon

Ohhhh! Is that Ando in an attacking role? Surely Carrick will play deep allowing him to make the runs forward? Im so looking forward to tonights game. I love home european games. Booya!

Unread 30-09-2009, 06:51 PM
Aloe Blacc

Sparky, YOU GOT MERKED mate.
Closed Thread