United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 16-09-2009, 09:51 AM
Tiberian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorg
You what?
Came diving in from behind at pace with one foot studs up on Defoe. Very dangerous tackle, have seen plenty of reds for tackles like that.

Unread 16-09-2009, 09:54 AM
Zorg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberian
Came diving in from behind at pace with one foot studs up on Defoe. Very dangerous tackle, have seen plenty of reds for tackles like that.
Oh I see. See what you mean, I've just watched it again, but that kind of tackle is a yellow all the way for me, no matter who it is.

Unread 16-09-2009, 10:01 AM
Smurf

I've obviously missed something. What degenerate bastard called Paul Scholes a @#%&!?

A WUM?

Unread 16-09-2009, 10:03 AM
Tiberian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorg
Oh I see. See what you mean, I've just watched it again, but that kind of tackle is a yellow all the way for me, no matter who it is.
Probably, but against the wrong opposition and with a twitchy Ref you can definitely see an overreaction. If he had committed that tackle last night for example, Besiktas player decided to roll around, players run to the ref, volatile atmosphere, I would not be surprised in the least to see a red produced.

Typical Scholes though, he goes charging in on Defoe, and once he has started he very rarely pulls out, and against players as nimble and quick Defoe it is dangerous, not just for cards, but taking yourself out of the game, much prefer players staying on their feet and trying to intercept the pass.

Unread 16-09-2009, 10:08 AM
Harri Jaffa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberian
Yes, but now I am shocked if he actually times one, 5/6 years ago you did not have to close your eyes every time he went into a tackle. When he comes charging in from behind you just know it is going to be ugly. It why I find it hard to have a lot of sympathy for him for the the Spurs ending off, he has got away with some shockers over the years.

Most of his red cards have been in the last 5 years as well. It has got to the point where is he is booked early in a match I expect him to get sent off, just seems unable to stop himself from diving in, and for such a classy and intelligent player it is a strange, almost endearing, contradiction.
You may well be right.

Personally I can't remember a time when I didn't wince when he was going in for tackles.

Unread 16-09-2009, 10:29 AM
Terry Silver

I think Scholes has started this season extremely well.

He has given the ball away about 8 times in 4 or 5 matches, and at Spurs his one touch passing was on another level altogether.

However, against Spurs Palacios was too busy trying to kick Berbatov, and Huddlestone is just about the slowest player in the league, which afforded Scholes loads of space - space he won't be getting on too many more occassions away from home in the Premier League.

I think even Fergie has been surprised by his good form, and as recently as the Arsenal game at home didn't even bring Scholes off the bench when we were crying out for someone who could pass the £#%&!ing thing.

I think Fergie will continue to carefully select the games Scholes plays - as he does with Giggs and Neville these days. So long as he continues to get it right then we should be treated to a few more masterclasses in midfield play.

Should fergie get it wrong, however, there will be occassions on which Scholes will look his age.

The Spurs game is staying on my Sky+, as will any other game in which Scholes rolls back the years in such a way. An absolute joy to watch when he's on that form.

Unread 16-09-2009, 10:48 AM
celtbion

Quote:
Originally Posted by borsuk
a couple of years ago i remember a lot of criticism being levelled at ryan giggs and there was a general feeling that he was on a fairly quick decline, that he couldn't cope with the pace of premier league football, that his career was winding down. easy to forget but he was being written off by many at the time. thankfully our manager is fergie and the rest is history...

for the last couple of years a lot of criticism has been levelled at "@#%&!" :shakehead: paul scholes and there has been a general feeling that he has been on a fairly quick decline, that he can't play in a midfield two, that his career is winding down. but are we witnessing a renaissance of paul scholes to mirror that of ryan giggs? it's still early days this season but on the evidence so far i think we are. many have written him off but thankfully our manager is fergie

unrivalled in so many ways

and just for contrast, anyone remember this?

i bet there were quite a few on here of the 'yeah, get rid' opinion
When players enter their 30s, I think what can happen is that they can be "back from injury" but take months to really regain form. Scholes may be benefiting from a decent spell injury free and is playing well now. His sending off on Saturday was both unjust and idiotic though.

His form means that Michael Carrick is now my new whipping boy.

Unread 16-09-2009, 10:49 AM
Smurf

Quote:
Originally Posted by celtbion
When players enter their 30s, I think what can happen is that they can be "back from injury" but take months to really regain form. Scholes may be benefiting from a decent spell injury free and is playing well now. His sending off on Saturday was both unjust and idiotic though.

His form means that Michael Carrick is now my new whipping boy.
Was it you who called him a @#%&!?

It was wasn't it.

Jesus.

Unread 16-09-2009, 10:53 AM
Brenner

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiganste
Anyone calling Scholes & Giggs a @#%&! are not Manchester United fans.
Amen brother.

Both utter class, on and off the pitch.

A credit to our club.

Unread 16-09-2009, 11:01 AM
borsuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smurf

It was wasn't it.

Jesus.
it was berba. he was put out of his misery soon after. a mercy banning.

Unread 16-09-2009, 11:02 AM
Baron

Seems to be doing all the things that made him so revered, barely takes anything more than 2 touches, one to control it & the other to either pass it on or ping it. It affords him more space, he's in good form so his precision is there, it's vintage & an absolute joy to watch. I pray he can keep it going because the way Carrick is £#%&!ing chipping passes to team mates at knee height, or turning into trouble left, right & centre is scary. I prophesied we'd only get maybe 6 - 10 good games out of Scholesy this season, I hope I'm seriously wrong. Thing is, as mentioned, if he gets a knock, it really hits him these days, last 18 months you see him take extra touches, less certainty about his passing & the frustration maniests itself in the tackling, which is never a good thing for a man who likes to leather people at the best of times.

The longer we manage to keep him fit, the better he'll play (controversial I know...) & adding Anderson / Fletcher around him to do the running is blatant. If Carrick was bang on form, you'd barely see the midfield give it away, lets hope he (Carrick) can get back to his best as he & Scholes were superb a couple of seasons ago as a central pairing.

Unread 16-09-2009, 12:01 PM
celtbion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smurf

It was wasn't it.

Jesus.
It was not.

Unread 16-09-2009, 12:22 PM
thatsfuctit

thinking about it, I may have called Heinze a @#%&!.

Unread 16-09-2009, 12:25 PM
HolyMackrelDoodleBonkon

A couple of months ago my central heating £#%&!ed up and who should come and fit it but a Scouser. [I know, a scouser with a job]
Anyway the fella goes upstairs to fix it and notices my United stuff on the wall. So naturally the piss taking started,me spitting in his brew, which I put in a Eric mug, " do I need to stay with you so you dont rob anything" that type of thing.
Anyhow it turned out that he grew up as best mates with Gerrard in Huyton and Gerrard apparantly rates Scholesy as the Best Player he has ever played with or against.
Says it all really.
Legend.

Unread 16-09-2009, 12:26 PM
red @rmy

I said this last week, Scholes has been one of our best players this season.

His passing is £#%&!ing immense, hardly ever gives the ball away, wish Nani would watch him more often.

Regards

Unread 16-09-2009, 12:46 PM
shadowplay

Birmingham
Passes attempted - 100
Passes successful - 97

Wigan Athletic

Passes attempted - 41
Passes successful - 40

Spurs

Passes attempted - 49
Passes successful - 47

Unread 16-09-2009, 12:47 PM
shadowplay

Excellent vid

Unread 16-09-2009, 01:07 PM
Smurf

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsfuctit
thinking about it, I may have called Heinze a @#%&!.
works for me.

Unread 16-09-2009, 01:17 PM
Smurf

Thumbs up

Tell you what, that JOhan bloke off YOuTube has some cracking United videos.

Unread 16-09-2009, 01:20 PM
Fuzzy Dunlop

Really like Scholes, poss my fave Utd plr evr but I can't seem him doing a Giggs. He'll go off form before Christmas.
Closed Thread