Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 14-11-2009, 10:23 AM
Pop

Default Mourinho

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/spo...cle6916444.ece

So, Utd, Liverpool or City?

Quote:
José Mourinho wants to spend the next phase of his career back in England. And he intends it to be a prolonged sojourn, more like Arsène Wenger’s 13 years with Arsenal than his own stint at Chelsea, from whom he parted in September 2007 having won the Barclays Premier League twice, the FA Cup and the Carling Cup twice.

Mourinho, who had three full seasons at Stamford Bridge after making Porto champions of Europe as well as his native Portugal, is in his second season with Inter Milan and on top of Serie A, having already celebrated one national title in Italy, his fifth over seven seasons in three countries.
But he yearns to settle down and “create something deeper”. He believes that England is the place to do that. “England is the country,” he said. “And my football is English football.”

England would be glad to have him back any time. From the day he arrived in West London — he initially settled his family in a house in Chelsea and remembers walking to his first league match at the Bridge, against Manchester United — and reminded the media that we had encountered no ordinary coach out of a bottle but a “special one”, to his final wrangles with Roman Abramovich, we were usually on his side.

Yes, Mourinho “shushed” Liverpool fans at the Millennium Stadium on the day his Chelsea took their first trophy, the Carling Cup, and later, when Rafael Benítez’s team knocked them out of the Champions League at Anfield, he sneered that his men had lost to an inferior side.

Yes, he behaved badly in spreading the accusation that Frank Rijkaard, the Barcelona coach at the time, had obtained admittance to the room of Anders Frisk, the referee, at half-time. After Frisk had quit the game in disillusion, a leading Uefa official dubbed Mourinho an “enemy of football”.
But Mourinho, by and large, was among friends in English football — and the feeling was reciprocated. Not least by the media, who would hang on his every word, enjoying the disdain for clichéd thinking or phrases.

His inclination to return was outlined this week at Inter’s Appiano Gentile training ground, on a relatively quiet day when he conducted light sessions with players not claimed by the international break and devoted attention to young hopefuls; a task Mourinho enjoys more than is generally understood.

“I want to build something,” he said, and the revelation will interest every ambitious English club except Chelsea, whose politics and philosophy caused Mourinho to become increasingly restless once the glow caused by his immediate success had faded.

This eventually led to his disaffection and replacement by Avram Grant, who was ditched despite Chelsea’s appearance in last year’s Champions League final. Then came Luiz Felipe Scolari’s eight-month reign and the temporary stewardship of Guus Hiddink — and now Carlo Ancelotti.
Mourinho argued that the top clubs in the Premier League other than Chelsea shared “the English culture of stability” and it will not have escaped his notice that the newly super-rich Manchester City aspire to be a top club. Despite an insistence that the owner, Sheikh Mansour, is happy with Mark Hughes, they are bound to take note of Mourinho’s intentions.

The depiction of the Premier League as a haven of constructive peace may nevertheless cause some wry amusement in certain quarters, not least to Benítez at Liverpool, where the American owners’ truce has a patched-up feel and speculation about the manager’s future is near-continuous. But Mourinho’s vision of the upper levels of our game is not wholly fanciful.
Benítez has, after all, been at Anfield since around the same time as Mourinho joined Chelsea. Each came to England in the summer of 2004 having newly landed one of the European trophies. The Spaniard had made his name with Valencia, who won two national titles and, in succession to Mourinho’s Porto, the Uefa Cup.

Wenger has managed Arsenal since the autumn of 1996, while Sir Alex Ferguson, the daddy of them all, arrived at Manchester United some ten years before that and gradually rebuilt the first-team squad, taking 6½ seasons to win his first league title while revamping and extending the club’s youth development structure.

Now Mourinho yearns to build in his own way.

“Clearly it is unrealistic to expect to stay at a club as long as Sir Alex, but I am ready for the next phase of my career,” he said. “I want to work with a different perspective.

“At Porto, my objective was to win to earn the right to go abroad. At Chelsea, my ambition was to create a bit of history [the club had not won the title for half a century]. But I always knew Chelsea lacked the normal English culture of stability.

“I was never under any illusions. I understood the personality of Roman and the culture of the people around him [Mourinho carefully exempted Peter Kenyon, the outgoing chief executive, from this] and knew it was not a job for ten years.

“My role was to give this man what he wanted — victory — knowing that, sooner or later, my time would finish, because there were too many things going on around me.

“In Italy, I was coming to the motherland of tactics, the country of catenaccio and defensive football. The objective was to win not only in a third different league but a place where they say foreign coaches have had little success. But the time will come for stability.

“I love Inter and would love to build for the future here. In fact, I am doing it now, because I am not a selfish coach and I’m thinking about the future in terms of youth development and the age structure of my first team — but Italy is not the country for this. England is the country. And my football is English football.”

Mourinho keeps in close touch with the English game — he greeted me by asking how likely it was that the idea of Celtic and Rangers joining an expanded Premier League would find favour — and would settle easily if he returned at the end of this season, once the Serie A and Champions League campaigns are over (the latter may end more quickly than Mourinho would like if Inter lose away to Barcelona, where once he studied under Sir Bobby Robson and Louis van Gaal, on Tuesday week).

Although he greatly enjoyed living in London, Mourinho would happily head north, countering suggestions that Liverpool or Manchester may not quite be able to rival Milan for architectural and cultural merit with a smile and a dismissive: “I hardly know Milan — I live near the Swiss border.”

So both Manchester clubs will take interest: City in case patience with Hughes runs out and United for when Ferguson retires, as intimated, at the end of this season or next. A building job will be required — team and stadium — at Liverpool if Benítez goes. Tottenham Hotspur, meanwhile, have ambitious plans for a new home.

Even Newcastle United may hold some appeal if only a convincing owner with lots of money could be found. All in all, it is a fascinating prospect.
He may not be to everyone’s taste, but life was never dull when José Mourinho ruled West London . . .

• His first press conference as Chelsea manager, in June 2004, showcased the lack of humility and eye for a catchy phrase (see also “park the bus”, “ghost goal”) that we came to love: “Please don’t call me arrogant, but I’m European champion and I think I’m a special one.” We agree you’re special, José ... but we might call you arrogant.

• In the Champions League quarter-finals against Bayern Munich in 2005, he allegedly beat a touchline ban by hiding in the Stamford Bridge dressing room, then getting in a laundry skip to evade Uefa officials.

Bet Sir Alex Ferguson and Arsène Wenger have never done that.
• Nor was his dog afraid to take on authority. The build-up to the 2007 FA Cup Final was overshadowed when Mourinho’s Yorkshire Terrier, Leya, apparently escaped when council authorities tried to quarantine her. Stubborn and defiant like her master, Leya returned to Portugal.

• Despite his wealth and fame, Mourinho has a populist touch. He threw his medal and blazer into the crowd after Chelsea claimed the Premier League title in 2006. He was awarded another medal — which he also threw into the crowd.

• He was deemed cool enough to appear in an American Express advertising campaign, like Robert De Niro and Tiger Woods. “My life is about keeping one step ahead,” Mourinho informed viewers, putting up an umbrella just before it started to rain. Wouldn’t want to get that famous coat wet . . .

Words by Tom Dart

Unread 14-11-2009, 10:35 AM
Terry Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pop
The best we could hope for under Mourinho would be boring efficiency.

He thinks he's a "Special One" due to his Marseille-esque European triumph with a side which apparently bribed referrees. Despite the fact that this wasn't investigated fully, the Scholes offside was proof enough for me.

No thanks.

Unread 14-11-2009, 11:15 AM
wonky no

no thanks.

ole next, please and i don't care if he relegates us.

Unread 14-11-2009, 11:19 AM
rafabio

i hope we get him with ole as assistant.

Unread 14-11-2009, 11:26 AM
Stickman

I would have thought hed be top of the Glazers list and reckon hed have it in his sights.

If he went to Liverpool it would proably only be a matter of time

Unread 14-11-2009, 11:31 AM
rafabio

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonky no
no thanks.

ole next, please and i don't care if he relegates us.
what a mad arse!!

you don't care if the club get relegated and don't win a trophy for years if ole gets the job?

one man bigger than the club eh?

Unread 14-11-2009, 11:34 AM
armchair

I think he has a big enough character to cope with Fergie being on his case all the time. Very few others that I can think of would be able to cope that.

Unread 14-11-2009, 11:38 AM
rebelcountyred

i don't like him, i don't like the type of football he has his teams playing, problem is though is that it's a successful method and i wouldn't like to see him at liverpool.

Unread 14-11-2009, 11:42 AM
Coracao

I think he masturbates furiously over the prospect of taking over Fergie.

I can't see him taking another job in England before Fergie quits.

Unread 14-11-2009, 01:05 PM
Sparky***

There are only 3 managers in the world who I think could cope with taking over united.

One is Jose Mourinho, one is Fabio Capello the other is Frank Rijkaard.

Unread 14-11-2009, 01:11 PM
Coracao

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
There are only 3 managers in the world who I think could cope with taking over united.

One is Jose Mourinho, one is Fabio Capello the other is Frank Rijkaard.
Jury is out on Rijkaard. I wouldn't imagine he'd even be considered tbh.

Unread 14-11-2009, 01:21 PM
wonky no

Quote:
Originally Posted by rafabio
what a mad arse!!

you don't care if the club get relegated and don't win a trophy for years if ole gets the job?

one man bigger than the club eh?
exactly that

i would rather someone who knows the ethos of the club and someone who you would get 100% devotion from. i would go seasons without trophies if it ensured we continued to play in the United way. We went a fair while under ferguson without winning things.

we could get moureen in though and be bored shitless every week until he realises its hard as £#%&! to sign the worlds elite when you are in debt and are based in the north west and £#%&!s off with his ego intact.

we could then go through a series of managers who last a season at the most because the owners can't afford to give them the time to build.

i honestly don't think people understand just how much of a knife edge this club will be on when fergie hangs up his tea cups.

£#%&!ing frightening.

Unread 14-11-2009, 01:44 PM
Barracuda

Quote:
We went a fair while under ferguson without winning things.
That is true, but through them years we didn't have a great big £#%&! off debt hanging around the Club's neck.

The scenario now is that we simply cannot afford not to be in the Champions League each year in order to pay the debt, and as such the Club will need someone who almost guarantees we stay roughly where we are at present.

His teams might play like shit and he might be a complete helmet, but Mourinho is one of the few managers who could handle taking over from SAF and maintain the success.

He'll definitely be pretty high on the list of candidates.

I can't see the Glazers gambling on some 'romantic' Newcastle style appointment, - Ole, Cantona, former players etc. They will get someone they know can do the job, not who they hope can do it.

Unread 14-11-2009, 01:56 PM
wonky no

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barracuda
That is true, but through them years we didn't have a great big £#%&! off debt hanging around the Club's neck.

The scenario now is that we simply cannot afford not to be in the Champions League each year in order to pay the debt, and as such the Club will need someone who almost guarantees we stay roughly where we are at present.

His teams might play like shit and he might be a complete helmet, but Mourinho is one of the few managers who could handle taking over from SAF and maintain the success.

He'll definitely be pretty high on the list of candidates.

I can't see the Glazers gambling on some 'romantic' Newcastle style appointment, - Ole, Cantona, former players etc. They will get someone they know can do the job, not who they hope can do it.
i agree totally but the glazers have a quandary. can you honestly see old trafford being full every week watching shit that mourinho serves up? it was hard enough to stomach when fergal £#%&!ed about playing 1 up front. season ticket prices are already forcing fans to jack it in put a £#%&! style of play into the mix and i reckon we'd lose a lot more support.

ole is hardly the same as stinks of piss, he has at least some experience as a coach/ manager and a great record thus far. ok it's a million miles away from the premier league but its a big string in his bow.

it will never happen though, i know this.

Unread 14-11-2009, 02:06 PM
rafabio

Quote:
i agree totally but the glazers have a quandary. can you honestly see old trafford being full every week watching shit that mourinho serves up? it was hard enough to stomach when fergal £#%&!ed about playing 1 up front. season ticket prices are already forcing fans to jack it in put a £#%&! style of play into the mix and i reckon we'd lose a lot more support.

ole is hardly the same as stinks of piss, he has at least some experience as a coach/ manager and a great record thus far. ok it's a million miles away from the premier league but its a big string in his bow.

it will never happen though, i know this.
yes. OT will still be full.

football is not entertainment. winning is the primary aim. if you get good football along with trophies then its a bonus which is what we have with fergie.

although saying that in the last 3 years we haven't been the ultimate attacking team ourselves. But I don't see too many empty seats at OT.

I guess it would be the same. Do you think fans will stay away from OT when mourinho will be bringing trophies dwarfing 18-5 of liverpool or keeping city at bay?

Unread 14-11-2009, 02:11 PM
rafabio

and get this one straight. all the great managers now including fergie and wenger look to be tight at the back and counter attack.

capello, lippi, benitez, mourinho, hiddink and ancelotti are all primarily great tacticians and work with a defensive system as base of their plans.

the only ones who differ from this are barcelona managers. But seeing that they can invest everything they earn every year, its not a problem for them if one manager is not working. they can always change and back him in transfer market.

anyone one who says we can take the risk of lumbering in mid table for a few years so that we have long term stability is a fool. we now have 5 teams who can realistically aim for top 4 places. competition is fierce and it may be about to increase with DIC still looking for a club to buy.

Unread 14-11-2009, 02:14 PM
wonky no

Quote:
Originally Posted by rafabio
and get this one straight. all the great managers now including fergie and wenger look to be tight at the back and counter attack.

capello, lippi, benitez, mourinho, hiddink and ancelotti are all primarily great tacticians and work with a defensive system as base of their plans.

the only ones who differ from this are barcelona managers. But seeing that they can invest everything they earn every year, its not a problem for them if one manager is not working. they can always change and back him in transfer market.

anyone one who says we can take the risk of lumbering in mid table for a few years so that we have long term stability is a fool. we now have 5 teams who can realistically aim for top 4 places. competition is fierce and it may be about to increase with DIC still looking for a club to buy.
that statement of 'its a results business' is %@#$&!s.

Unread 14-11-2009, 02:17 PM
wonky no

don't count on ot being full either. or at least don't count on season ticket sales.

Unread 14-11-2009, 02:22 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
don't count on ot being full either. or at least don't count on season ticket sales.
our last 2 seasons have been laden with trophies, but we still struggle on occasion to shift the tickets.

has nothing to do with the team on the pitch, it's the prices. Working class people with families just cannot afford it anymore.

Unread 14-11-2009, 02:30 PM
wonky no

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
our last 2 seasons have been laden with trophies, but we still struggle on occasion to shift the tickets.

has nothing to do with the team on the pitch, it's the prices. Working class people with families just cannot afford it anymore.
exactly, that was what i said but if you put shit football on the menu its only going to get worse.

i think carlos Q will get a chance tbh truthful
Closed Thread