United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 28-11-2018, 10:06 AM
utd99

If nothing else, he’d sort that changing room out double quick. It’s about time we got a few serious players back at this club.

Unread 28-11-2018, 12:14 PM
Coracao

Quote:
Originally Posted by armchair
Morrison was a big fish in the junior levels who believed his own hype and showed glimpses of his talent.

Memphis has delivered on the hype.
He was hyped as one of the next big things in European football. A way off delivering on that hype just yet and will likely need to leave Lyon to do it.

Unread 28-11-2018, 04:50 PM
£#%&! KFC

Thumbs down

Anyone actually see that £#%&!ing miss from a yard out last night even Rashford would have scored that ..... probably

Unread 03-12-2018, 08:41 AM
S/Side.Red

Oh Memph

Unread 03-12-2018, 09:18 AM
Curtis

By his own admission he said he wasn't mature enough to cope with a move to a club as big as United when it happened. Remains a United fan, never hidden his desire to come back. In France he got around as many goals and assists as Neymar last season and has started this season in similar fashion. Its almost as if a young player has matured a little and become much more effective on the pitch.

He was shit when he was here but writing the lad's entire career off on the basis of some bad decisions and poor form as a kid, is really rather silly.

Unread 03-12-2018, 09:27 AM
Bunker Buster

The maturity one or s an odd one.....

He's been playing for the Netherlands since he was 15 and ran in 32 for PSV winning the league and golden boot.....

Something didn't click at United, run of games, form, trying too much......

A real top tier player now.......

Unread 03-12-2018, 09:28 AM
Lazlo Panaflex

heard klopp is sniffing.

Could excel there with a manager that trusts youth and plays decent football.

Unread 04-12-2018, 09:00 AM
Denis Irwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker Buster
Terrorised city every time they meet ...

Hottest attacker currently in world football...
Quote:
A few goals

Watch where he goes next, hearing some Interesting rumours.....

Hottest player currently out there...
Hard to keep yer hands off yer #@&%! innit?

Unread 04-12-2018, 09:04 AM
windy waffles

Quote:
The maturity one or s an odd one.....

He's been playing for the Netherlands since he was 15 and ran in 32 for PSV winning the league and golden boot.....

Something didn't click at United, run of games, form, trying too much......

A real top tier player now.......
What does his sphincter taste like, though?

Unread 04-12-2018, 09:06 AM
Lazlo Panaflex

Quote:
Originally Posted by windy waffles
Ouch

Unread 04-12-2018, 10:13 AM
Bunker Buster

Quote:
Pancakes

Unread 04-12-2018, 12:19 PM
sa7

Quote:
Nobody knows due to the fact he lost his arse the minute he turned up at a big club

Unread 04-12-2018, 04:54 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa7
Nobody knows due to the fact he lost his arse the minute he turned up at a big club
This is the thing innit, however good he looks now who can be sure the same wouldn't happen if he returns?

Unread 05-12-2018, 10:06 AM
Stone Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazlo Panaflex
heard klopp is sniffing.

Could excel there with a manager that trusts youth and plays decent football.

Unread 05-12-2018, 10:14 AM
Curtis

You’ve also got to keep in mind, he was introduced to United football by one of the least attacking coaches we’ve ever had. A man who famously told Angel DiMaria to “stop dribbling with the ball”. A coach who opposed any and all risk taking, actively discouraged any creative freedom and stifled every attacking player we had. He then got lumbered with Mourinho and his special brand of careful youth nurturing.

Add to that the natural mistakes of a young kid suddenly getting millions and global fame. I’m really not that surprised he didn’t adapt well.

I’m not suggesting he would work if he came back, or that he won’t end up being a complete #@&%! of a person. Just suggesting a little balance perspective on that phase of his development.

Unread 05-12-2018, 04:43 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtis
A man who famously told Angel DiMaria to “stop dribbling ”
I know that AdM was a big baby, but still

Unread 15-12-2018, 11:57 PM
Buck

Quote:
United inserted a time-limited buyback clause within his sale to Lyons in January 2017 and he is once more looking the footballer Van Gaal billed as among the world’s best for his age. “When I left,” smiles Memphis, “I said to Mourinho ‘you will see me at the top.’ He said ‘OK, I hope that and I hope we will buy you back one day.’ I never had a bad relationship with him.” Van Gaal? More complex. “We didn’t fall out, it was just a misconnection with each other. As a team we didn’t play great football and some things I don’t understand — if you have talented young players, Anthony Martial, Luke Shaw and the others, they need freedom.”

Memphis developed as a free-moving attacker at PSV Eindhoven, his youth football coming at striker or No 10, but Van Gaal shackled him to the left wing with strict rules. “It’s not like you weren’t allowed to dribble or anything,” he recalls, “it was just the tasks you had. When you give some players too much information they think too much.

“Young players shouldn’t think, if they give the ball away, ‘next ball I have to play safe’. That’s not football. That’s not me. I put risk in my game, try to be reckless but in a good way. One time I wanted to work on my left foot and crosses, so I was doing extra training with Giggsy. (Van Gaal) called me in his office and said ‘why are you training?’ I said I want to improve my cross with my left foot. He said your crosses are already good, it’s in your head. He wasn’t happy I was training extra and things like that make you think as a young guy. At the time I wasn’t playing and had wanted to show how much I want this, that I’d do more than normal to get my chance again.”

He played for Van Gaal again at Dirk Kuyt’s testimonial in May. “I hadn’t met him since the last game of the (2015-16) season when he put me out of the squad for the FA Cup final. I don’t know if that was personal. It doesn’t matter any more. But I saw him at Kuyt’s game...and even in that game I was coming from the bench!” says Memphis, bursting out laughing. “I played only the last 15 minutes!”

He holds no bitterness towards Mourinho either. “I thought I was going to fight for a second chance under him and found I didn’t really have that chance. I saw everybody playing left wing except me, even Wayne Rooney. Rooney is of course a legendary player but not a winger. I don’t blame the manager. Maybe he doesn’t like my style of play. I love playing beautiful football, tricks and doing cheeky things. I don’t know if that’s his type of game.”

It was heartening that every time Mourinho’s matchday squad went on the board and he wasn’t in it, other players expressed surprise. They knew he was training well. It was actually away from Carrington that life was most difficult. “I wasn’t really myself,” Memphis reflects. “I didn’t change the way I was dressing or driving but it didn’t make me feel good. People think I think so much of myself but it was really the other way around. I was driving a nice car but not enjoying it. Feeling people don’t like me, because they imagine I’m thinking I’m better than them. I was struggling with that. I remember some of the quotes about me, like ‘party boy’. That’s just pure lies. I went out only once in one and a half years in Manchester and it wasn’t even fun. I am not a party boy.

Unread 16-12-2018, 12:20 AM
Cream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck
United inserted a time-limited buyback clause within his sale to Lyons in January 2017 and he is once more looking the footballer Van Gaal billed as among the world’s best for his age. “When I left,” smiles Memphis, “I said to Mourinho ‘you will see me at the top.’ He said ‘OK, I hope that and I hope we will buy you back one day.’ I never had a bad relationship with him.” Van Gaal? More complex. “We didn’t fall out, it was just a misconnection with each other. As a team we didn’t play great football and some things I don’t understand — if you have talented young players, Anthony Martial, Luke Shaw and the others, they need freedom.”

“Young players shouldn’t think, if they give the ball away, ‘next ball I have to play safe’. That’s not football. That’s not me. I put risk in my game, try to be reckless but in a good way. One time I wanted to work on my left foot and crosses, so I was doing extra training with Giggsy. (Van Gaal) called me in his office and said ‘why are you training?’ I said I want to improve my cross with my left foot. He said your crosses are already good, it’s in your head. He wasn’t happy I was training extra and things like that make you think as a young guy. At the time I wasn’t playing and had wanted to show how much I want this, that I’d do more than normal to get my chance again.”
Interesting.

Unread 16-12-2018, 12:29 AM
Buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cream
Interesting.
Shaw was injured eight games into that season tbf.

Unread 16-12-2018, 12:50 AM
Cream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck
Shaw was injured eight games into that season tbf.
Shaw and Memphis now would be incredible.

Dalot and some other @#%&! on the right.

Closed Thread