United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 30-09-2014, 01:14 PM
waynes ear's

Can i just say im annoyed no one has called Garth Crooks a £#%&!ing #@&%!

Unread 30-09-2014, 01:16 PM
Fat Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynes ear's
Oh, I'm sure plenty of people have.

Just not often enough or publicly enough.

Unread 30-09-2014, 01:16 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynes ear's
Goes without saying surely?

Unread 30-09-2014, 01:21 PM
hopkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by no fun
theres always the "hopkins" solution

Unread 30-09-2014, 01:31 PM
Ethers

Love the quaint idea that managers get big jobs based purely on ability tbh

Unread 30-09-2014, 01:40 PM
Fat Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethers
Love the quaint idea that managers get big jobs based purely on ability tbh
Oh, come on.

What club in their right mind would appoint a manager that was blatantly wrong for the job? Had no proven track record, no experience at the highest level, no history of winning things?

Come on, who would do tha...........

Oh.

Unread 30-09-2014, 01:57 PM
waynes ear's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Al
Oh, I'm sure plenty of people have.

Just not often enough or publicly enough.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
Goes without saying surely?
Both valid points. The £#%&!ing dick

Unread 30-09-2014, 02:05 PM
dunk

Patrick Kluivert will be interesting. Highly regarded, touting himself about, knows England and the PL. Wonder if anyone will give him a go?

Unread 30-09-2014, 02:35 PM
Grimson

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa7
How many black managers apply for any given job?
Quote:
Are there any candidates?

How many are throwing their hats in the ring and not getting a chance?
Plenty. But there are also more who have stopped bothering because they don't get reply, or get a form letter 'no thanks.'

'Ricky Hill has lost count of the letters he has sent applying for coaching or managerial positions in England, covering every level from the Ryman Premier to the Premier League, across the past 20 years. The former Luton Town player has no problem, however, remembering the number of replies he has received: one.

"Sir Alex Ferguson had the decency to phone me to let me know that he was going in another direction after I applied for the reserve team post at Manchester United in 2003. But I've never had a response from anyone else, even by letter," says Hill, who was a stylish midfielder in the 70s and 80s and became only the fourth black player to represent England. "Richard Scudamore might turn around and say: 'You're not good enough.' But hold on a minute – I've got three coach of the year awards."

He nails it here:

"I say this – and it might have a racist overtone but I don't mean it like that because I've never had an inferiority complex on race – but chairmen do employ people that come from similar backgrounds to them, that have a similar look and a similar culture, because that's what historically they've always done. And until you find something that will broaden their outlook, we will still continue to have a lack of capable black candidates."

http://www.theguardian.com/world/201...ll-coach-black

Unread 30-09-2014, 02:40 PM
doudou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimson
but chairmen do employ people that come from similar backgrounds to them, that have a similar look and a similar culture[/url]
Surely the only explanation of why Alan Pardew was hired by Ashley at Newcastle (that wouldn't constitute libel)

Unread 30-09-2014, 02:44 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenorthwillriseagain
I'm all for more black managers in the game, as long as none of them are Paul Ince
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenorthwillriseagain
How do you know? Isn't the point that they haven't been given a fair chance to show their ability?
No surprise to see Millie Tant straight on this.

Unread 30-09-2014, 02:48 PM
naes_sean

Quote:
Patrick Kluivert will be interesting. Highly regarded, touting himself about, knows England and the PL. Wonder if anyone will give him a go?
no, I doubt it. He's black

Unread 30-09-2014, 02:50 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Ed
If there were any shit hot managers they'd be in work no matter what colour of their skin. NQAT.
Quote:
Originally Posted by barca99
If a manager is good enough he will get a job, regardless of whether he is black or not
Two months ago the sporting director of a then Premier League club was found to have distributed racist emails and commented that there were "not many white faces" on a list of prospective transfer targets. Not sure I'd rush to reject the notion that there's an issue.

Unread 30-09-2014, 03:20 PM
Grimson

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
Two months ago the sporting director of a then Premier League club was found to have distributed racist emails and commented that there were "not many white faces" on a list of prospective transfer targets. Not sure I'd rush to reject the notion that there's an issue.
Yep. People are living an absolute fantasy if they think minorities aren't actively discriminated against behind closed business doors. Especially regarding managers - the only way to find out if they're good enough is to give them a chance. You've got Ricky Hill with 3 England caps not getting replies from Ryman League clubs.:shakehead:

Unread 30-09-2014, 03:26 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimson
Yep. People are living an absolute fantasy if they think minorities aren't actively discriminated against behind closed business doors. Especially regarding managers - the only way to find out if they're good enough is to give them a chance. You've got Ricky Hill with 3 England caps not getting replies from Ryman League clubs.:shakehead:
Indeed. And you know there are well known black/mixed ex Premier League players in non league management atm. Marcus Gayle, Phil Babb etc. Do white guys of their pedigree have to drop to the 6th/7th tier for their first gig? Not so sure...

Unread 30-09-2014, 03:29 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
Indeed. And you know there are well known black/mixed ex Premier League players in non league management atm. Marcus Gayle, Phil Babb etc. Do white guys of their pedigree have to drop to the 6th/7th tier for their first gig? Not so sure...
That used to be the case a lot more, tbf (BFR a good example)

Unread 30-09-2014, 06:15 PM
taff

yeah it's terrible but bringing rooney into it again he did score an important goal at the weekend you know

Unread 30-09-2014, 06:25 PM
HotChip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
No surprise to see Millie Tant straight on this.
We all had fire in our bellies about the injustices when we were young

Where does it go?

Unread 30-09-2014, 07:51 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotChip
We all had fire in our bellies about the injustices when we were young

Where does it go?
This lot currently in power have rekindled a lot of that for me, tbh.

A shame that "official" politics is so slow to catch up with what many are now feeling

Unread 30-09-2014, 08:26 PM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by red in cumbria
A shame that "official" politics is so slow to catch up with what many are now feeling
I wonder when the next j-law icloud release is out?
Closed Thread