United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 30-09-2014, 09:13 AM
shyteds

Default Black football club managers and The Rooney Rule

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/29410247

Greg Clarke 'disingenuous' on black managers - Tony Kleanthous

Football League chairman Greg Clarke has been accused of "hiding behind excuses" over a lack of black managers.
Clarke was criticised for not raising the issue at the League's 2013 AGM but said that was because the club director proposing it left the league board.
However, that director, Barnet chairman Tony Kleanthous, told BBC Sport that Clarke was being "disingenuous".
Ex-England captain Paul Ince wants the 'Rooney Rule' used to stop the issue being "swept under the carpet".

Greg Clarke: "There's not a chance the shrill voices of the vested interests will stop me continuing to campaign for a better lot for our managers"
The Rooney Rule is used in the NFL to ensure black and ethnic minority candidates are adequately represented in the interview process for head coaching positions.
Former footballer Garth Crooks, 56, claimed Clarke had "bottled it" by not bringing up the Rooney Rule at the 2013 Football League annual general meeting - and called on him to "consider his position".
Professional Footballers' Association chief executive Gordon Taylor had earlier told BBC Sport that Clarke had "promised" to take the issue to the League's AGM.
Ince, 46, who managed Blackburn in the Premier League in 2008, told BBC's Football Focus Forum that the Rooney Rule was "something we should implement" to increase the number of black managers. At present there is only Chris Powell at Huddersfield and Carlisle's Keith Curle in the English game.

Ince: "I don't think it's always been about the best candidate"
"We had a two-week spell last year where everyone was talking about it, then all of a sudden it's been and gone," said Ince.
"It's hard to say that the people are racist and won't give you a job because you're black, but it does make you wonder why there aren't so many black managers and coaches."
Clarke has insisted he will not resign, saying he has "fought behind the scenes" for the interests of black managers.
He said the idea of trialling the Rooney Rule would have been tabled by a board member - Kleanthous - until he lost his seat after Barnet were relegated from the Football League in 2013.
What is the 'Rooney Rule'?
The 'Rooney Rule' was established in 2003 and named after Dan Rooney, owner of the Pittsburgh Steelers and the chairman of the NFL's diversity committee. It requires NFL teams to interview at least one black or ethnic minority candidate for head coaching and senior football operation opportunities that become available, as part of a transparent and open recruitment process.
But Kleanthous, a former Football Association director, said he was "extremely disappointed" at Clarke's comments.
"I had not intended to specifically bring the Rooney Rule to the 2013 AGM of the Football League or propose a trial, although I had considered the matter in the context of the wider agenda," said the 48-year-old.
"If he was serious about the subject then my departure would have been the catalyst for him to get fully involved in supporting this worthy cause rather than just another excuse to hide behind."
Kleanthous also questioned why Clarke had still not raised the issue with the Football League board: "It should also be noted that my team were relegated nearly two seasons ago so he has had ample opportunity to show proper leadership.

"It is therefore evident that I do not support his comments nor his efforts to use me as a shield to deflect the justified criticism away from him."
BBC Sport contacted Clarke for a response, but he declined to comment further.
Kleanthous became the youngest chairman of a Football League club when he bought Barnet in 1994 and has sat on a number of football governance committees.
He is currently a director of the Football Conference and an FA Council member.

Chris Powell is one of only two black managers at the 92 Premier League and Football League clubs
"I spoke on many occasions about the issue of racism and inequality in both Football League and Football Association board meetings," said Kleanthous, who was born in London to Greek-Cypriot parents.
"Some of my experiences, particularly in the professional game were quite unacceptable but as the only 'ethnic' in the room it can be difficult for others to understand how it feels to be in such a closed environment.
"Former FA chairman David Bernstein, who was very sympathetic, did make some strides at the FA by appointing Heather Rabbatts to the board.
"I'm pleased to have been a member of the nominations committee that selected her as she is a very good advocate for minorities and brings a fresh perspective to the issue."
Facts and figures
The PFA says about 18% of players on their coaching courses are black or from other ethnic minorities
There are 192 Uefa Pro Licence owners in England, and 14 of those are black coaches
About 25% of players in the professional game are non-white
There were five black managers in English professional football last season but, of Chris Hughton, Chris Powell, Paul Ince, Chris Kiwomya and Edgar Davids, only Powell now has a job.

Unread 30-09-2014, 10:12 AM
thenorthwillriseagain

I'm all for more black managers in the game, as long as none of them are Paul Ince

Unread 30-09-2014, 10:18 AM
sa7

I'm all for black managers as long as they are neither shit nor @#%&!s.

Unfortunately there have been few managers of any ethnicity who fit those criteria

Unread 30-09-2014, 10:19 AM
thenorthwillriseagain

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa7
I'm all for black managers as long as they are neither shit nor @#%&!s.

Unfortunately there have been few managers of any ethnicity who fit those criteria
How do you know? Isn't the point that they haven't been given a fair chance to show their ability?

Unread 30-09-2014, 10:21 AM
sa7

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenorthwillriseagain
How do you know? Isn't the point that they haven't been given a fair chance to show their ability?
How many black managers apply for any given job?

Unread 30-09-2014, 10:24 AM
Mr_Ed

Default Black football club managers and The Rooney Rule

If there were any shit hot managers they'd be in work no matter what colour of their skin. NQAT.

Unfortunately John Barnes, Chris Powell and Paul Ince were all average at best.

Unread 30-09-2014, 10:27 AM
sa7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Ed
If there were any shit hot managers they'd be in work no matter what colour of their skin. NQAT.

Unfortunately John Barnes, Chris Powell and Paul Ince were all average at best.
Exactly.

Ince whinged that he would never get a chance in the top flight. Was given a chance, was shit, got sacked. End of.

If the black Mourinho is out there amongst the current crop of black players coming to the end of their careers, and he has the desire to move into management, then he will get work.

Unread 30-09-2014, 10:30 AM
dunk

Are there any candidates?

How many are throwing their hats in the ring and not getting a chance?

Unread 30-09-2014, 10:32 AM
barca99

Lack of black managers

If a manager is good enough he will get a job, regardless of whether he is black or not

Unread 30-09-2014, 10:56 AM
wee man

Debated regularly on The Sunday Supplement - they almost demand its introduction. I have never seen a black journalist on The Sunday Supplement.

Unread 30-09-2014, 11:34 AM
92ToBury

That Frank Rijkaard chap is somewhat ethnic. He seems reasonably good and got top jobs. Fancy that.

Unread 30-09-2014, 11:34 AM
Cream

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
Are there any candidates?

How many are throwing their hats in the ring and not getting a chance?
Quote:
The PFA says about 18% of players on their coaching courses are black or from other ethnic minorities
There are 192 Uefa Pro Licence owners in England, and 14 of those are black coaches
About 25% of players in the professional game are non-white
There were five black managers in English professional football last season but, of Chris Hughton, Chris Powell, Paul Ince, Chris Kiwomya and Edgar Davids, only Powell now has a job.
Quote:
The 'Rooney Rule' was established in 2003 and named after Dan Rooney, owner of the Pittsburgh Steelers and the chairman of the NFL's diversity committee. It requires NFL teams to interview at least one black or ethnic minority candidate for head coaching and senior football operation opportunities that become available, as part of a transparent and open recruitment process.
That's from the original post.

It's not just about prospective employers favouring white candidates (knowingly or otherwise), it's about actively encouraging more black candidates.

Sounds reasonable, surprised people are immediately looking to pick holes in it.

Unread 30-09-2014, 11:35 AM
TripDownMiseryLane

Funny to see those lining up to the 'what problem? there is no problem' line

Don't you realise that your attitude totally proves the point and makes you look a bit daft (or worse) at the same time

Unread 30-09-2014, 11:59 AM
Switching Off

Quote:
Originally Posted by wee man
Debated regularly on The Sunday Supplement - they almost demand its introduction. I have never seen a black journalist on The Sunday Supplement.
Wasn't that Mirror guy on once, Darren or something?

Unread 30-09-2014, 12:05 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cream
That's from the original post.

It's not just about prospective employers favouring white candidates (knowingly or otherwise), it's about actively encouraging more black candidates.

Sounds reasonable, surprised people are immediately looking to pick holes in it.
I meant, are there a lot of ex-players that are black that fancy going into management that aren't trying?

Unread 30-09-2014, 12:14 PM
no fun

theres always the "hopkins" solution

Unread 30-09-2014, 12:17 PM
Cream

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
I meant, are there a lot of ex-players *that are black that fancy going into management that aren't trying?
Who for people. They are people, Duncan!

Either that or they're all shit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by no fun
theres always the "hopkins" solution

Unread 30-09-2014, 12:29 PM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by wee man
back of the net. pot. kettle. um.... oh, shit.

they've even had a woman on, haven't they? are they really happy suggesting blacks know less about football than women? (or fat £#%&!ing messes, come to that.)

Unread 30-09-2014, 12:36 PM
Ashley's Grime

What excuse will Ince make when he gets sacked from his next job?

Will it be:

a) Because he's black.
b) Because he's black .
c) Because he's black.

Unread 30-09-2014, 12:47 PM
TripDownMiseryLane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley's Grime
What excuse will Ince make when he gets sacked from his next job?

Will it be:

a) Because he's black.
b) Because he's black .
c) Because he's black.
He'll probably just pack up his stuff, trouser his compensation, take a long holiday and wait for the next job to come a long, like most of his white counterparts do.

Far far to many jockastanis in management for my liking, with no particular merit either.
Closed Thread