United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 21-11-2006, 01:57 PM
Gypsum Fantastic

Default Strachan talks sense?

'They (The Premiership) give themselves too many pats on the back for being the best league in the world. It's all right at times, but I've seen some dire games there as well."

Also says there isn't that big a difference between Scottish and English Premier Leagues.

http://www.sportinglife.com/story_ge...al_095220.html

Personally feel he's spot on about it not being the best league in the world.

Not sure about there not being that big a difference though - I reckon Sheff United would be up challenging for honours in Scotland.

Unread 21-11-2006, 02:00 PM
Macca1990

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsum Fantastic
'They (The Premiership) give themselves too many pats on the back for being the best league in the world. It's all right at times, but I've seen some dire games there as well."

Also says there isn't that big a difference between Scottish and English Premier Leagues.

http://www.sportinglife.com/story_ge...al_095220.html

Personally feel he's spot on about it not being the best league in the world.

Not sure about there not being that big a difference though - I reckon Sheff United would be up challenging for honours in Scotland.
He's talking out of his arse imo

Unread 21-11-2006, 02:01 PM
Fuzzy Dunlop

I would have agreed with this up until recently. I thought the lower teams in SerieA and La Liga would have better quality than the lower half of the Premiership but I really don't know as I don't watch much of either.

How and ever the premiership teams have been doing quite well in European competition in recent years.
The vermin won the EC, Arse got to the final, Chelsea have been very strong and Boro got to the Uefa Cup final last year (albeit to be badly beaten by Seville).

Unread 21-11-2006, 02:02 PM
armchair

Deffo a big difference in standard. The PL has improved a lot thanks to United/Arsenal/Chelsea. Fastest league yes - Best it's hard to say.

I'd give it to Spain judged over 5 years. Italy over ten.

Maybe

Unread 21-11-2006, 02:04 PM
antonin jablonsky

If there's so little difference betwwen the English and Scottish Pl's why are the Old Firm so desperate to join the English one?

Unread 21-11-2006, 02:06 PM
Gypsum Fantastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonin jablonsky
If there's so little difference betwwen the English and Scottish Pl's why are the Old Firm so desperate to join the English one?
That's for the cash bedders baby, not the quality

Unread 21-11-2006, 02:06 PM
armchair

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonin jablonsky
Are they that desperate though? I doubt it. More like they're using the threat to leave to blackmail the SPL.

What if they got relegated? Not beyond the bounds of reality in a new league.

Unread 21-11-2006, 02:08 PM
Fuzzy Dunlop

For a team to complete 10 successive passes in an SPL game is a major achievement.

Unread 21-11-2006, 02:09 PM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
That's for the cash bedders baby, not the quality
Maybe but the Old Firm aside every Jock PL team would struggle in the English Championship imo. Oh and the Old firm would be mid-table in the PL.

Unread 21-11-2006, 02:11 PM
tatty

I would expect Rangers and Celtic to be solid mid-table PL sides. I lived in Scotland for a few years and there was a constant rumble of rumour about them leaving the Scottish league.

To be honest i think it would work for all concerned with them being interesting additions for us and making their league far more open.

Unread 21-11-2006, 02:12 PM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by armchair
What if they got relegated? Not beyond the bounds of reality in a new league.
they'd get relegated to the spl.

Unread 21-11-2006, 02:20 PM
wonky no

Gordon is looking at the wrong division.

If you put each premier league side in a head to head with the big two in Scotland you would have to fancy the English side every time. He's looking at the void in our league between the top 4 and the rest without taking into to consideration that the top 4 are far superior to Scotlands elite.

That void between Scotlands top teams and Englands top teams masks the fact that the their is also a void between the rest of our league and the Glasgow pair.

They will find a competetive league in the championship and even then I doubt they would be promoted.

Unread 21-11-2006, 02:32 PM
Gypsum Fantastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughes......oh i say!

If you put each premier league side in a head to head with the big two in Scotland you would have to fancy the English side every time.
I'd take Celtic home and away to beat

Charlton
Sheff United
Watford
Fulham
Newcastle
Boro
City
Reading
Portsmouth

Unread 21-11-2006, 02:38 PM
Tiberian

Everything is overrated.

However Strachan is a lucky man to be managing Celtic. His career as a manager in England was pure mediocrity, makes a few people laugh on TV and gets the Celtic job. He will win a few titles up there and end up with a decent reputation, which he will barely deserve.

Who knows, give him a few years and he may be touted as a Fergie replacement?

Unread 21-11-2006, 02:43 PM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:

Charlton
Sheff United
Watford
Fulham
Newcastle
Boro
City
Reading
Portsmouth
I wouldn't. I really, really wouldn't, considering we drew with Reading, Newcastle got a point at Arse and Boro beat Chelsea I really wouldn't.

Unread 21-11-2006, 02:44 PM
Macca1990

Quote:

Charlton
Sheff United
Watford
Fulham
Newcastle
Boro
City
Reading
Portsmouth

okay but take anyone appart from hearts celtic and rangers and place them aginst those teams who would your money be on then

Unread 21-11-2006, 02:49 PM
wonky no

Quote:

Charlton
Sheff United
Watford
Fulham
Newcastle
Boro
City
Reading
Portsmouth
I'd bet you a George Best fiver that if I backed every English team listed and you backed the Jocks at the end of the season I would be considerabley better off , finacially, than you.

Unread 21-11-2006, 03:06 PM
borsuk

Default there's a big difference

between one-off, high-intensity cup games and a forty game season. celtic and rangers, with current squads, would be relegation fodder. players which stand out in the spl are nothing special in the pl - look at petrov, boumsong , sutton and the like.

however, with the money from pl tv deals and the size of the gates they get, plus the fact that decent players would be more interested in signing for them, they'd get up towards the top fairly quickly.

they'd definitely struggle for the first few years, though.

Unread 21-11-2006, 03:18 PM
armchair

Quote:
Originally Posted by borsuk
between one-off, high-intensity cup games and a forty game season. celtic and rangers, with current squads, would be relegation fodder. players which stand out in the spl are nothing special in the pl - look at petrov, boumsong , sutton and the like.

however, with the money from pl tv deals and the size of the gates they get, plus the fact that decent players would be more interested in signing for them, they'd get up towards the top fairly quickly.

they'd definitely struggle for the first few years, though.
Think you're wrong about petrov.

Right about the rest though

Unread 21-11-2006, 03:35 PM
denis lawless

instead of the League cup or charity shield bollox....why not have either an Anglo Scotish Cup or a mini pre season tournament with the top 3 or 4 teams in the PL and SPL playing off ?

soon sort out the "whos better" question
Closed Thread