United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 30-03-2016, 11:19 AM
TheFatGoth

Question Who are favourite and least favourite commentators?

All time fave would have to be Brian Moore. Gutted he retired before 99 to be honest - just wasn't the same without him. We got that hack, Tyldesley instead.

Used to like Tyler before he disappeared up his own arse sometime around the turn of the century. Him and Gray were a decent combo though to be fair.

Found Motty decent in his prime, but thought Barry D was a miserable @#%&! - closet ABU?

Ian Darke is ok in small doses and that Fletcher bloke on BT is inoffensive enough. Tony Gubba was a bit too nasely for my tastes.

Hate John Champion - annoying as £#%&!....and Alan Green is a massive #@&%!.

In terms of co-commentators - soft spot for Big Ron, and always thought Brooking complemented Motty pretty well. Despise Michael Owen. Craig Burley is an ABU @#%&! and how annoying is Trevor Francis' voice?

Most of the other modern ones are a much of muchness tbh...and there's that annoying shouty Geordie who always appears on the foreign TV clips. Drama queen.

Thanks for reading.

Unread 30-03-2016, 11:29 AM
doudou

Didn't used to mind Peter Brackley.

The rest I actively hate (refuse to watch BT Sport with the sound on).

Can't wait till Martin Tyler dies.

Unread 30-03-2016, 11:39 AM
hopkins

gothers clearly struggling in international break

next up, what's your favourite gantry

Unread 30-03-2016, 11:40 AM
Sapien

Thumbs up

Jacqui Oatley

Unread 30-03-2016, 11:42 AM
TheFatGoth

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopkins
gothers clearly struggling in international break

next up, what's your favourite gantry
It's been tough for all of us.

Unread 30-03-2016, 11:45 AM
Switching Off

Peter Drury is the worst commentator going. Some of the bullshit he comes out with is embarrassing. Despise him.

Before City played Kiev the other week:

"One small step for this blue moon club of 21st century leaps"

Ray Hudson obviously the best

Unread 30-03-2016, 11:47 AM
Denis Irwell

Most of em obvious, john campion really is an annoying @#%&! but don't mind Jim Beglin, oddly enough

Frequently switch sound off anyway

Unread 30-03-2016, 11:51 AM
S/Side.Red

BT have really upped the standard for shocking coverage haven't they? Listening to dullards like Tyler and Alan Smith on SKY is sweet release these days compared to that £#%&!ing horror show they produce on BT with Mcmanaman, Hoddle, Owen, Francis etc. Ian Darke leading and that smug lanky @#%&! hosting the show. Jesus Christ.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis Irwell
Most of em obvious, john campion really is an annoying @#%&! but don't mind Jim Beglin, oddly enough

Frequently switch sound off anyway
Beglin is actually decent on foreign football. Does his research. Probably why he never fit in at ITV.

Unread 30-03-2016, 11:58 AM
Pop

Brian Moore was the best by far. Champions League on ITV in the early 90's was bliss.

Peter Drury is a complete and utter %@#$&!ated baboon. Some of the utter drivel he comes out with is beyond belief. I used to like Clive Tyldsley but he caught whatever Drury has. It was never so obvious as when Liverpool were in the CL under Benitez. The fawning was vomit inducing.....

"It's almost as if the Kop is the 12th man and they SUCK the ball into the oppositions net Andy"

"Yes Clive"

I hate pretty much all of them tbh. Tyler especially. I hope he swallows his tongue live on air and we hear him choking and spluttering to death.

Unread 30-03-2016, 12:14 PM
ZiggyStardust

David Coleman

"1 nil"

Enough said

Unread 30-03-2016, 12:18 PM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pop

I hate pretty much all of them tbh.
this. if there's a good one, I can't remember him (and that's as it should be).

no girls, no mottie, no jonathan.

Unread 30-03-2016, 12:26 PM
no fun

Unread 30-03-2016, 12:38 PM
Tumescent Throb

brian moore though he was the ultimate pessimist...

hugh johns

problem these days is theyre pretentious walkers thinking more about how it'lll sound on a thousand replays - couldn't agree more about tyldesley and drury, they are unbearably gash. the inflection in tyldesley s comms are actually vomit inducing!

Unread 30-03-2016, 12:45 PM
Zorg

Hate all of them, though I actually want to kill Peter Drury.

Unread 30-03-2016, 12:47 PM
TheFatGoth

Unread 30-03-2016, 02:13 PM
Albert Tatlock

Love(d) Harry Carpenter, Richie Benaud, Bill McLaren, Eddie Butler, Dan Maskel and Murray Walker

Unread 30-03-2016, 02:30 PM
Ashley's Grime

Barry Davies, Kenneth Wolstoneholme, David Coleman, Peter Brackley. Irish reds will remember Tyler being great on Italian football highlights in the late 80's. I now hate the @#%&! with his snide ABU comments.

Unread 30-03-2016, 03:13 PM
Tumescent Throb

open it out to co-comms and robbie savage is one of the worst i've ever heard - file alongside clark thingy off of question time...

Unread 30-03-2016, 03:22 PM
ashtonred

David Coleman was a first class all-rounder. Athletics was his real strength imo - the Lillian Board Olympics commentary was outstanding has she hit the final bend.Like Coleman, Peter O'Sullivan added much to the excitement of horse racing.
Coleman was a great link man too - up there with Lynam and Bough.
Best footy commentator for me right now is Steve Bower (ex MUTV). Does a load of freelance work but can't seem to nail a fixed 'live' tv spot with one of the majors. Surprising when you match him against Tyler who imo is the worst of all the worst. 70 pc of his commentaries are devoted to stats and other irritating irrelevance.

Unread 30-03-2016, 03:47 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb
hugh johns
Star Soccer just in time for your Sunday lunch in the 70s

Thought he was fairly naff as a commentator, mind
Closed Thread