United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 15-02-2016, 12:07 PM
Zorg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knockers
Did anyone go to the Apollo meeting in 2005? A bloke stood up and mentioned Bobby Charlton having told anyone protesting about the takeover to shut up. He made the point that he'd been paying his own money to follow United home and away and all over the world for 30 years and that he was 100 times more of a red than Bobby Charlton. He got a rousing round of applause - then a Malaysian lad stood up and sang we'll keep the red flag flying high and it all rather got lost in the general hubbub.
I distinctly remember some of the lads at the front table giving it facepalms at that

Unread 15-02-2016, 12:15 PM
forzagarza

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigMikeA
poor taste.
Maybe the pipes need cleaning?

I always used to say I hope the south stand burns down on a match day. I'm going to have to amend this now but I doubt there are any grants available to ease the changeover

Unread 15-02-2016, 12:25 PM
Baron

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe
You have to pay three times face value on the gate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethers
Great news.

Legend.
Spot on.

Unread 15-02-2016, 12:27 PM
Pop

Hope they don't do a Sinn Fein on it.

The Booby Charlton stand.

Unread 15-02-2016, 12:28 PM
Child of Darkness

Why does he always wear that hat ?

Edit
That's why

Unread 15-02-2016, 12:33 PM
Pop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Child of Darkness

Unread 15-02-2016, 12:35 PM
Sparky***

Unread 15-02-2016, 12:37 PM
Part 36 Offer

Unread 15-02-2016, 02:43 PM
ScarFace

He's a Moyes loving @#%&!.

Unread 15-02-2016, 02:53 PM
dunk

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlestown Rouge
Well said - Munich survivor, one club man, dignified human being, captain of European Cup and World Cup winners, Ballon D'Or winner and revered as one of the greatest players on the planet. Produced a weather girl and always turns out home and away. The greatest honour being alongside Peter Kenyon at Moscow, 2008

We can forgive a little touting.

Unread 15-02-2016, 03:17 PM
Alex Jones was Right

Naming stands after some people is such an insult to so many people who have also done great things for United.

United went a century without such nonsense. Our greatest manager had to die after being retired 25 years before he got a statue. Fergie got a statue and a stand named after him whilst still manager. They seem to be handed out as political favours these days. No one should get anything like that until dead and gone.

I await the Giggs statue.

Unread 15-02-2016, 03:21 PM
believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammy Dodger
Naming stands after some people is such an insult to so many people who have also done great things for United.

Busby had to be retired 25 years and die before he got a statue. Fergie got a statue and a stand named after him whilst still manager. They seem to be handed out as political favours these days.
Not really, it's just a more recent and modern phenomenon in sport. In our history there are probably only five or six people who should have a statute at Old Trafford and Busby is one of them. Be lucky you're not a Fulham fan.

Edit for,your edit: Giggs would be one of the six, if you don't recognise that you're a plum.

Unread 15-02-2016, 03:25 PM
Alex Jones was Right

Quote:
Not really, it's just a more recent and modern phenomenon in sport. In our history there are probably only five or six people who should have a statute at Old Trafford and Busby is one of them. Be lucky you're not a Fulham fan.

Edit for,your edit: Giggs would be one of the six, if you don't recognise that you're a plum.
Plenty of deserving people, but busby is the only one who should have a statue as far as I'm concerned. And Fergie once he pops his clogs. Best, law, Charlton statue is ok, albeit it could be better. As is the Munich memorial.

And £#%&! knows why fergie got a stand too in addition. Guess he's more important than busby or the babes.

Quote:
Haha, £#%&! off.

Busby, Fergie, best, law, charlton, Giggs. I take it that's your 6? Giggs just doesn't belong, when other players and staff left out for him are considered. It's insulting to so many. Edwards, Colman, Byrne, Carey, Meredith, Robson, Jimmy Murphy, Walter crickmer, Meredith. The dog should be there before Giggs. At no point in time was Giggs ever the best player in any United team he played in. Give that man a statue. Up there with busby.

Unread 15-02-2016, 03:36 PM
TheFatGoth

Unread 15-02-2016, 04:09 PM
believe

Why does Giggs have to be a great footballer to receive the accolade. He's dedicated his life to the club, our most decorated player ever and will probably see his life out here in the same way Charlton has.

Ps he'd be picked in every greatest United XI most people picked.

Unread 15-02-2016, 04:11 PM
waynes ear's

Quote:
Why does Giggs have to be a great footballer to receive the accolade. He's dedicated his life to the club, our most decorated player ever and will probably see his life out here in the same way Charlton has.
Hopefully not

Unread 15-02-2016, 04:12 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Ps he'd be picked in every greatest United XI most people picked.
Yes, but at least in part because those invariably tend to be biased towards modern day players.

Unread 15-02-2016, 04:38 PM
puressence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlestown Rouge
Well said - Munich survivor, one club man, dignified human being, captain of European Cup and World Cup winners, Ballon D'Or winner and revered as one of the greatest players on the planet. Produced a weather girl and always turns out home and away. The greatest honour being alongside Peter Kenyon at Moscow, 2008

We can forgive a little touting.
Wasn't capt of the World Cup winners

Unread 15-02-2016, 04:42 PM
ziggyman17

At this rate, we will start out-scousing the scousers...

Unread 15-02-2016, 04:49 PM
Charlestown Rouge

Quote:
Originally Posted by puressence
Wasn't capt of the World Cup winners
I think you'll find he was.
Closed Thread