United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 20-03-2007, 11:40 PM
ScarFace

The move is perfect, the facts are with our goal difference, we can afford to lose two of our games and still win it. We've lost 3 all season, 2 were against one team, so only two teams have beaten us.

I cannot see us losing two but i can see us drawing. Again, we can afford 3 draws or 1 draw and a loss.

Unless we absolutely get £#%&!ed with injuries, we're champions..........and we'l be champions by the Chelsea game, i can see being crowned champions without playing, due to Chelsea dropping points.

Although i dont really like it when that happens, i'll take it here n now.

I'm looking forward to seeing weither Moanyo and Chelsea have the class of doing a guard of honour like we had to do.

Unread 20-03-2007, 11:50 PM
Tumescent Throb

The main reason there's unlikely to be a Treble this season is that only one team has ever done it in 50 years of trying.

As for the performance of this lot as compared to the 99 team against the big boys, I'm not sure there's much in it at all is there?

The main thing about 99 was that we just reeled off game after game against the big teams in the Cups, and because of the opposition we didn't really care about the performances, or the luck - it was all about brilliant moments of class and inspiration winning us huge matches.

More than that though, it was the personalities of that 99 team - we liked them all, and they didn't have to win us over first before we acknowledged their achievements. Too much of United's fanbase is far more spoilt and cynical these days!

[SIZE="4"]If - and it's a big [SIZE="4"]if, because they are a very good team - we get past Roma and set up classic clashes in the semi finals of the CL, and the FA Cup final with Chelsea, this season will begin to resemble 99.

And if we get to the CL final, then the last 2wks of this season could be just as fantastic. If it's just Wembley, then so be it

As I said though, the Treble has only ever been done once in 50 attempts by an English team - and there's only a couple of other times I can think of when it was even close (57 & 77).

Unread 20-03-2007, 11:57 PM
The Watcher

If we get past Roma, I'd love us to knock out Bayern in the semi. Hitzfeld is back in charge. We still owe him for what he did to us 10 years ago

Unread 20-03-2007, 11:59 PM
Lazarus

The league title is enough for me. To take on Chelsea and play this kind of swashbuckling football and win it is more than I could hope for.

To see us come back in snarling,foot stomping,ABU baiting mode with the United swagger after we'd been written off as an also ran managed by a lame duck will have me gloating for years.

It's a hell of an achievement if we do it.

Unread 21-03-2007, 12:00 AM
Lazarus

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Watcher
If We still owe him for what he did to us 10 years ago
I think we paid him back with interest in 99

Unread 21-03-2007, 12:03 AM
The Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazarus
I think we paid him back with interest in 99
Maybe, but Dortmund 97 still hurts. I want to do them properly, over two legs. I left OT in tears that night. Only time I've cried because of football

Unread 21-03-2007, 12:06 AM
Tumescent Throb

All roads lead back to Dortmund 97

Unread 21-03-2007, 12:10 AM
The Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb
All roads lead back to Dortmund 97
It's what turned me into the Doomlord I am today!

And it's not funny either. Was a very traumatic experience

Unread 21-03-2007, 12:39 AM
Grimson

Quote:
As for the performance of this lot as compared to the 99 team against the big boys, I'm not sure there's much in it at all is there?
I agree. We can't forget the 99 team got done 3-0 at Highbury, which might not seem like much in retrospect, but at that time I'm sure we were asking all the same questions about our quality. We weren't perfect then, we just rose to the occasion in the run-in when there was no other option.

Unread 21-03-2007, 12:52 AM
celtbion

Quote:
£#%&! it, I've not been convinced about this Utd side when they're asked to defend a lead all season. Compare and contrast with, say, Inter Milan in the CL?

Granted, we hadn't a forward in our armoury like Ronaldo (or maybe even Rooney).

Unread 21-03-2007, 12:53 AM
tatty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimson
I agree. We can't forget the 99 team got done 3-0 at Highbury, which might not seem like much in retrospect, but at that time I'm sure we were asking all the same questions about our quality. We weren't perfect then, we just rose to the occasion in the run-in when there was no other option.
We rode our luck time and again in that season.

Unread 21-03-2007, 01:22 AM
Luffy

long way to go yet, I dont fancy us beating chelsea tbh, they're so £#%&!ing strong, sheva is coming into form as well. I dont think they will drop many points, they're looking unstoppable imo, but you never know.

I dont think the league is sewn up at all. CL will be extremely difficult and if we're gonna meet Chelsea in the FA Cup final it'd be very tough.

this season is nowhere near as good as 99. we had 4 strikers that year firing, every midfielder was top class including blomqvist etc and we were destroying all comers.

this season rooney is having a confidence lapse, our strikers are depleted, our backup players simply make up the numbers and a magical winger is our top scorer.

but of course anything is possible in football, but even if we did win the treble I dont think it could compare with the first one, that was the best season ever.

Unread 21-03-2007, 01:34 AM
Tropical

Default If iffity if if if.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
the delay suits us in some ways, but if we went there early and won, we could kick back and relax in the league, saving ourselves for the other two legs of the treble.
It's all ifs. And I'm relieved about the postponement, because chances are that by the time we go there, the matter will be all but decided one way or another. And this run-in is already giving me the heebeejeebies. I'm not sure my nerves could have taken going to Stamford Briddge as scheduled.

So call me a wuss, 'cos I am; but I was more worried about going out of the cup and potentially losing that postponement than I was about going out of the cup in itself. It's not that I don't (very much) want United to win the cup (although I still don't think we have much of a hope in Europe.) It's just that I'm desperate for United to win the title this year - it could be our best chance for a long time to come; whereas the cup may remain achievable - and I can see it all turning to dust in a moment.

And by the way, anyone mentioning the word "treble" should give himself a slap. I'm giving myself one just for mentioning the word "title".

Unread 21-03-2007, 01:52 AM
Luffy

If we lost this league now it'd be the most painful loss I can remember for sure, simply cos it'd be to chelsea after getting to the final straight in great fashion.

Unread 21-03-2007, 02:08 AM
celtbion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropical
And this run-in is already giving me the heebeejeebies. I'm not sure my nerves could have taken going to Stamford Briddge as scheduled.
But Tropical, the nervier it is the sweeter it will be if we pull it off.

We wouldn't have to worry about any of these nerves if we were Arsenal fans, we could sit back and enjoy their peculiar brand of entertaining but ineffectual football and revel in the fact that our underachievement has meant we're out of all these trophies before you get to the butterfly stages.

Unread 21-03-2007, 06:54 AM
borsuk

if we play as we have all season, bar a few weeks last month, then it doesn't matter when we play city, chelsea or anyone else.

we're not six points clear because we've played teams at the right times. we're six points clear becuase we've played the best and most effective football in europe for pretty much the whole season. £#%&! the fixture list. let them worry about us.

Unread 21-03-2007, 12:49 PM
Tropical

Default A Churchillian moment

from Borsuk there.

I feel suitably steeled and reprimanded, all at once.

Unread 21-03-2007, 01:36 PM
Tumescent Throb

Exclamation Gaylord alert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luffy
this season is nowhere near as good as 99. we had 4 strikers that year firing, every midfielder was top class including blomqvist etc and we were destroying all comers.
Ole chipped in with 18 goals right enough, but Sheringham only started 11 games all season and netted just 5 times.

What we had was the Cole Yorke combination worth more than 50 goals. And we had probably the best midfield ever assembled at United.

However, it's an interesting fact that that midfield notched 35 goals all season, whilst the current best 4 midfielders already have 32.

Also, the 99 team let slip 37 goals in the league and scored 80. This lot so far have let in just 20 and have already scored 70.

Above all, this lot have already won more league games than the 99 team won in the entire season.

As I said earlier, much of this myth-building is to do with the magical vibe of that season - Keane coming back, Murdoch being laughed out, Cole & Yorke scoring for fun, Beckham and Argentina, Schmeichel's last season, Jaap Stam bigger than your ground - the football was often brilliant, but it was the stories and personalities of the season that made the magic.

A lot of water has passed under the bridge since then, but there's some good lads at United just now. To me the last month or so has been a brilliant time. No matter what happens I'll never forget Ronaldo's goal at Fulham or O'Shea at Anfield - and how they made me feel. I'll never forget going 3-0 up at Reading with our reserves inside 6 minutes - stuff of legend And the Spurs and Bolton games were as good as anything United did in 99 in the league.

Unread 21-03-2007, 01:39 PM
The Watcher

Quote:
Ole chipped in with 18 goals right enough, but Sheringham only started 11 games all season and netted just 5 times.

What we had was the Cole Yorke combination worth more than 50 goals. And we had probably the best midfield ever assembled at United.

However, it's an interesting fact that that midfield notched 35 goals all season, whilst the current best 4 midfielders already have 32.

Also, the 99 team let slip 37 goals in the league and scored 80. This lot so far have let in just 20 and have already scored 70.

Above all, this lot have already won more league games than the 99 team won in the entire season.

As I said earlier, much of this myth-building is to do with the magical vibe of that season - Keane coming back, Murdoch being laughed out, Cole & Yorke scoring for fun, Beckham and Argentina, Schmeichel's last season, Jaap Stam bigger than your ground - the football was often brilliant, but it was the stories and personalities of the season that made the magic.

A lot of water has passed under the bridge since then, but there's some good lads at United just now. To me the last month or so has been a brilliant time. No matter what happens I'll never forget Ronaldo's goal at Fulham or O'Shea at Anfield - and how they made me feel. I'll never forget going 3-0 up at Reading with our reserves inside 6 minutes - stuff of legend And the Spurs and Bolton games were as good as anything United did in 99 in the league.

You know, there's only so much rep I can give you in one day. @#%&!

Unread 21-03-2007, 01:46 PM
Luffy

the 99 team had the best players in their positions in the world all on top of their game at the same time.

best in the world:

keane in top form
giggs flying
beckham was the best player in the world that season
cole+yorke best partnership and on fire
ole was ridiculous coming on as sub
schmikes was great
stam was immense
good shout for scholes

this season we have:

ronaldo
rio+vidic

and thats about it as far as best in their position in top form goes. rooney would count but he's not in great form. giggs and scholes are doing an admirable job but are they playing like the best in the world? maybe, maybe not. its not so clearcut is it?

this season is still about growing and fulfilling potential for me whilst all thoughout 99 I had the feeling that this was it, this was the season.

still a great season of course, nice to see us finally back on top.
Closed Thread