United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 19-03-2007, 02:37 PM
Jack Duckworth

Default Is there anybody on FT who is against goal line cameras?

i really fail to see why we cannot implement this new technology. all it would take is two miniscule cameras embedded in each goal post.

west ham's second 'goal' on saturday was absolutely ridiculous. if we had goal line cameras, the ref could just go over to the touchline, look at a replay a few times, then make a decision. it would take 2 mins maximum.

i'm not usually one for changing the rules of the game (i.e. the ludricous 'no draw' scenario the football league is talking about). but in the instance, i think it would be for the benefit of football.

Unread 19-03-2007, 02:40 PM
shadowplay

I am totally against the idea of bringing goal-line technology into the game.For me personally, it would take some amount of enjoyment out of the game.

Football can be very unpredictable at times, and goals, or non-goals for that matter, are all part of the general excitement that is connected to the sport we all love.Take that away, and you kill a little bit of the game.Fair enough, Football has moved on over the years, teams have become richer, more money involved, more to lose etc, but we, the supporters, shouldn't have an element of the game we love taken away from us.

I don't want to hear about any improvements in Rugby due to it, because football is a totally different sport.Take the unsure factor out of football and you lose a big part of the game.

Unread 19-03-2007, 02:45 PM
jem

get cyclops in.

put gps in the ball.

make players wear collars and belts with offside transmitters too.

and have a proper review panel banning players who are later found to have tripped ronnie when the ref has missed it again.

Unread 19-03-2007, 02:48 PM
borsuk

and so are £#%&!-ups, controversy and all the rest of it.

it's a good example of someone who's never watched a game of football in his life deciding that he'll solve the big 'problem' by changing the rules. it's a load of %@#$&!s which would change the nature of the game. you'd have pauses in the play while they review the decision...no thanks.

ask any genuine fan what problems we should throw money at and uncertainty over whether a ball is over the line won't even make the top fifty. standing areas. extortionate ticket prices. diving/simulation. the dog's dinner that is the offside rule. policing euro aways. racism at some grounds. lunchtime kick-offs. fletcher's contrinuing presence in the united squad. £#%&! goal-line cameras. sort out the real problems.

besides, who's going to sing 'the goal-line hawkeye camera's a £#%&!er'?

Unread 19-03-2007, 02:54 PM
Prideofalleurope

Leave it as it is i say, how footballs meant to be. The referee is the man who makes decisions and is bound to make errors, the occasional £#%&! up is all part of the game and technology would ruin the controversy and just make football more plastic.

Unread 19-03-2007, 02:56 PM
Jack Duckworth

i am against replays for everything else because diving, elbows, kicks, bad tackles etc happen often in every game, so it would slow the game down to review all those things. however, you're talking a couple of minutes at the most for something that wouldn't happen every game. imagine how gutting it would feel if we lost a couple of games before we played chelsea and they beat us with a 'goal' that never was, and ended up winning the league.

as for the controversy etc. yes it would take that away, but there's plenty more things to argue/debate about other than this.

i don't think you can mess about when it comes to goals.

Unread 19-03-2007, 02:56 PM
Zorg

Goal-line cameras would not stop the flow of the game. It would be cyclops-style technology whereby if the ball crosses the line, a buzz is sent to the ref's ear piece and the linemen's flags. The decision is taken instantaneously and no stoppage is needed.

Having said that, it is a dangerous thing to start getting into but I think it's doable.

Unread 19-03-2007, 02:58 PM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by borsuk
and so are £#%&!-ups, controversy and all the rest of it.

it's a good example of someone who's never watched a game of football in his life deciding that he'll solve the big 'problem' by changing the rules. it's a load of %@#$&!s which would change the nature of the game. you'd have pauses in the play while they review the decision...no thanks.

ask any genuine fan what problems we should throw money at and uncertainty over whether a ball is over the line won't even make the top fifty. standing areas. extortionate ticket prices. diving/simulation. the dog's dinner that is the offside rule. policing euro aways. racism at some grounds. lunchtime kick-offs. fletcher's contrinuing presence in the united squad. £#%&! goal-line cameras. sort out the real problems.

besides, who's going to sing 'the goal-line hawkeye camera's a £#%&!er'?
you would not have to have pauses in the game. just a loud beep instead of a whistle. as in long serves in tennis. same with the offside idea.

if you weren't using a cyclops system, an official watching a monitor could give an instant decision... just as quick as a ref blowing up* (and certainly quicker than consulting his linesman). play would never have to continue for more than about five seconds anyway.

* yes, that would be worth having on dvd.

Unread 19-03-2007, 03:01 PM
Jack Duckworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by borsuk
those are all fair points and all need sorting out. especially the fletcher situation.

however, just because these things exist, shouldn't mean that goal line cameras cannot be brought in.

many of the problems you describe above are deep-rooted and would take an age to sort out, if they could be at all. that's not to say the authorities shouldn't try, but the implementation of goal line technology could be trialled before the end of the season if the fa/uefa/fifa wanted it.

Unread 19-03-2007, 03:02 PM
Tumescent Throb

If the camera is in the goal frame it won't be in line with a ball that has crossed the line though will it? And will this camera be able to capture the full height or length of the goal? And what if the ball hits it? Will it survive? And Tevez was £#%&!in miles offside and standing in the one place virtually everybody in the ground was looking and the officials still didn't see him. So if they'd looked to see video of the ball over the line, and then noticed Tevez, could they then give offside? - even if the ball had been over the line he was still offside, technically, and active definately. I think.

Unread 19-03-2007, 03:02 PM
Jack Duckworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
you would not have to have pauses in the game. just a loud beep instead of a whistle. as in long serves in tennis. same with the offside idea.

if you weren't using a cyclops system, an official watching a monitor could give an instant decision... just as quick as a ref blowing up* (and certainly quicker than consulting his linesman). play would never have to continue for more than about five seconds anyway.

* yes, that would be worth having on dvd.
this is even better.

Unread 19-03-2007, 03:07 PM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb
If the camera is in the goal frame it won't be in line with a ball that has crossed the line though will it? And will this camera be able to capture the full height or length of the goal? And what if the ball hits it? Will it survive? And Tevez was £#%&!in miles offside and standing in the one place virtually everybody in the ground was looking and the officials still didn't see him. So if they'd looked to see video of the ball over the line, and then noticed Tevez, could they then give offside? - even if the ball had been over the line he was still offside, technically, and active definately. I think.
how could he have been active if he was over the line? he wouldn't become active until the ball hit him, by which time it would already be dead.

cyclops would not be in the post, but behind it, presumably.

Unread 19-03-2007, 03:09 PM
m14red

cyclops is always £#%&!ing up at wimbledon.

Unread 19-03-2007, 03:11 PM
poppy

How would you restart play if the ref stopped the game to have a look if the ball crossed the line or not? A drop ball on the goal-line?

Unread 19-03-2007, 03:16 PM
tim887

I believe the Hawkeye people are currently the prefered supplier, and it takes around two seconds to inform the ref of its decision.

For anyone who thinks that mistakes are part of the game, why not use Hawkeye to get it right, but pick say 3 teams a season to award a free goal to for absolutely no reason. That should give everyone something to talk about in the pub.

Unread 19-03-2007, 03:23 PM
m14red

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim887

For anyone who thinks that mistakes are part of the game, why not use Hawkeye to get it right, but pick say 3 teams a season to award a free goal to for absolutely no reason. That should give everyone something to talk about in the pub.

and while we're at it, why not get them 22 robots and we can watch them act out the statistically correct result. or even better, they could make some sort of super computer into which we could feed all the player stats, history, conditions into, and we could just gather round it and it could flash the result up on the screen. you could do a season in about an hour I reckon.
in fact, what sort of a name is 'tim887'? are you some sort of messageboard robot sent to hasten the ascension of the robot race over us 'error-prone' humans?

S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
If it would be an instant thing, like you say, then I'd be behind it.

Stopping the game or having a delayed decision will never work, which is why I'm against technology for anything else. One of the main reasons I'm for the goal line assistance is that it's ridiculously difficult for a referee or linesman to be able to judge whether the ball has crossed the line from their positions and the amount of things that can obscure their view.

Technology in the game would have to start and end with that, though.

Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
how could he have been active if he was over the line? he wouldn't become active until the ball hit him, by which time it would already be dead.

cyclops would not be in the post, but behind it, presumably.
If cyclops worked then I'd be happy with that - but it would still need to be backed up by the 4th official, for me, and play would have to be stopped immediately the bleeper went off with the restart suiting the defending team in the event of a #@&%!-up.

On the other thing, as far as I know anywhere inside the goal itself is part of the pitch. Tevez was definately active on Saturday, but he surely would have been active even if the ball had gone just over the line as well - he was smack in line with the ball in an offside position.

Unread 19-03-2007, 03:24 PM
Whip Hubley

i would condone it if, and only IF the decision can be instantaneous - ie a buzzer or whatever going off in the REFEREES ear (not 4th official/linesman) when the ball crosses the goal line and goal line only if that's possible somehow.

other than that, no way because of the nature of football. even a 1 second delay creating doubt in the refs mind would £#%&! up the flow of play and the whole point of our (used to be more so) beautiful game.

Unread 19-03-2007, 03:30 PM
denis lawless

if the concern is the time wasted....then i'd ban substitutions in the last 15 minutes of a match.....even though hes supposed to, a ref rarely stops the watch for a substitution and its used as a time wasting/breaking the flow of the game ploy, 99.9% of the time, that late in the game...ban it i say
Closed Thread