United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 09-11-2022, 11:40 AM
armchair

Default Sir Rio Ferdinand OBE

receives obe in honour of his services to drug testing.

Quote:
Ferdinand has also used his platform to highlight issues in society and football, such as racism, homophobia and mental health. These issues are explored in the former England international's new Amazon documentary 'Tipping Point' - which is released on Friday.
"This is obviously different to a football award and the trophies that I've won but this means a lot. The inspiration behind this was my mum and dad, [they're] community-driven people. To carry that work out for the last 10, 12 years with my foundation and being recognised for that means a lot to me."

Unread 09-11-2022, 11:43 AM
est.1878

Beats WGT

Unread 09-11-2022, 11:47 AM
TripDownMiseryLane

Love Rio tbf and think he's an all round gound un'. Daughter worked for him at Rosso and the staff loved him, an absolute gent.

Unread 09-11-2022, 11:48 AM
armchair

Yeah, he's a lovely guy and seems very genuine. Looking forward to his documentary on friday.

Unread 09-11-2022, 02:37 PM
AK14

Best defender in the world at one point and probably top 3 for a very long time. Obvs sounds a decent bloke too.

Didn’t know about the doc

Unread 09-11-2022, 02:47 PM
jem

best defender relating to any defending that didn't involve sticking his face anywhere dangerous, fo sho.

Unread 09-11-2022, 03:00 PM
TripDownMiseryLane

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
best defender relating to any defending that didn't involve sticking his face anywhere dangerous, fo sho.
Didn't need to, read the game so well, anticipation and judgement were where Rio was at, that and being an excellent footballer. One of the great utd signings.

Unread 09-11-2022, 03:10 PM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripDownMiseryLane
Didn't need to...
well, yeah. but... no.

Unread 09-11-2022, 03:25 PM
TripDownMiseryLane

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
well, yeah. but... no.
If you didn't rate Rio......tells me everything I need to know

Unread 09-11-2022, 04:40 PM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripDownMiseryLane
If you didn't rate Rio......tells me everything I need to know
if you think I didn't rate rio, that tells me that you don't actually bother reading posts properly.

I agreed that he was the best defender, as long as it didn't involve putting his face in danger. you say he didn't need to. I disagree on that point only.

Unread 09-11-2022, 04:43 PM
AK14

Unread 09-11-2022, 05:27 PM
suedeshoes

Judgement depends on agreeing on a definition of 'dangerous' or 'danger' imo.

Unread 09-11-2022, 05:49 PM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by suedeshoes
Judgement depends on agreeing on a definition of 'dangerous' or 'danger' imo.
would rio risk a head or boot to the face in the same way that vidic or bruce might have?

using a scale of not wanting to get your shirt dirty to head exploding, rio would be ok, maybe just a bit of mud, and the other two would have broken (again) noses. not sure we could even slide rio up to ooh, that stings a bit, but it won't show tomorrow, tbh.

Unread 09-11-2022, 08:07 PM
atticusgrinch

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
would rio risk a head or boot to the face in the same way that vidic or bruce might have?

using a scale of not wanting to get your shirt dirty to head exploding, rio would be ok, maybe just a bit of mud, and the other two would have broken (again) noses. not sure we could even slide rio up to ooh, that stings a bit, but it won't show tomorrow, tbh.
Isn't that the point though? He played with Vidic. They complimented each other.

Unread 09-11-2022, 08:09 PM
NedKelly

Hope he gets a knighthood before Beckham.

Unread 09-11-2022, 08:48 PM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by atticusgrinch
Isn't that the point though? He played with Vidic. They complimented each other.
well, sure. but, accepting that, it is still true that rio was great at the bits that didn't involve risking getting his pretty face mangled. and... sometimes... he was the one nearest a ball that needed a face.

Unread 09-11-2022, 09:19 PM
Joe Biden

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem

£#%&! me you can't put Steve Bruce in the same sentence as rio ferdinand

Unread 09-11-2022, 09:27 PM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Biden
um..... somebody tell him.

Unread 09-11-2022, 10:58 PM
Weekend Hussler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Biden