United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 08-10-2015, 05:25 PM
irk

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaffo
Generally I'm very fond of our American brothers and sisters but it drives me radio £#%&!ing rental when they do that.
don't get me started on the oREGano and the bayzil

Unread 08-10-2015, 05:26 PM
dodger

Quote:
Originally Posted by irk
don't get me started on the oREGano and the bayzil
I use those at home for comic effect

Unread 08-10-2015, 05:28 PM
atticusgrinch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimson
You going on 10 years of saying this doesn't make it true.

American Football depends a lot on athleticism; there is just as much skill. Otherwise, every great athlete in the US would be a multi-millionaire NFL player.

To give just one example - the Strength & Conditioning coach at my club is a former college football receiver. He is a freak athlete and runs the 40 meter sprint at near-Olympic sprinter speeds. He tried to make it in the NFL and couldn't - he wasn't good enough at reading defenses, running his routes (the QB often throws the pass before the receiver has turned around to look at it - if you're not good at routes, you won't catch passes), or disentangling himself at the line from defensive backs (receivers use 'moves' just like a footballer dribbling).

Lineman use all kinds of spins, feints, and moves to deal with their opposite number - otherwise, the bigger man would win every time. But he doesn't. This is true of linebackers too, and most players, really. American football is about being isolated 1v1 with an opponent. Being big and athletic is not nearly enough to win enough of those battles to stay in a job. You need moves, tricks, skills.

Obviously, a QB has to have enormous skill. Some of the best are barely athletes at all, i.e. Manning and Brady.

Unread 08-10-2015, 05:30 PM
dodger

Quote:
Generally I'm very fond of our American brothers and sisters but it drives me radio £#%&!ing rental when they do that.
Helps differentiate between this:

and this though:

Unread 08-10-2015, 05:33 PM
irk

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger

and this though:

a drill and a clock radio?

Unread 08-10-2015, 05:38 PM
jaffo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger

I have literally no idea what that is

Unread 08-10-2015, 06:18 PM
tetrisblock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camel
smells like total bullshit to me. the nature v nurture debate can't logically come down in total favour of nurture. every football team could potentially have it's own messi if it was all just down to practice\hard work. yet on a planet of 7 billion people there's only one other who even comes close (tries hard enough )?

Answering Grimson and Andyroo, I would have always said talent existed before reading this. I completely agree people can be naturally athletic, certainly genetics play a huge part in this. Talent is only what we see on a superficial aspect and overlooks many aspects in the background.

But to say that a person is born with the ability to become a great sports man/woman is bullshit. Of course it's not one factor and I don't believe in the 10,000 hours idea. But environment ( including where they grow up, parental influences, socioeconomic background and of course coaching) and hard work from the individual plays a huge part.

Purely anecdotal here, I'd have to go research for specific examples, but even recently Wenger bemoaned the fact that many of the top strikers in the world now come from South America, Europe just seems to be incapable of producing them. Why is that? Are South American children born with better ability to play football?

Grimson, I completely respect the fact that you are involved in coaching young players and certainly know more than me in that regard! But I do think it is far too simple to say that someone is talented at whatever, without realising the difference in how a person got to that level, compared to others.

Unread 08-10-2015, 06:18 PM
forzagarza

Quote:
I have literally no idea what that is
Tea strirrer

Unread 08-10-2015, 06:22 PM
Grimson

Quote:
Originally Posted by tetrisblock
Grimson, I completely respect the fact that you are involved in coaching young players and certainly know more than me in that regard! But I do think it is far too simple to say that someone is talented at whatever, without realising the difference in how a person got to that level, compared to others.
That's not really what I'm saying; it's notONLY natural talent, just as it's not ONLY training/environment. You can't take just any kid and give him the very best coaching, training, nutrition etc and expect him to make it to the top. I've seen it tried (and failed) too many times. There are a ton of factors involved, but merely training/practicing is just one, and it's not enough.

Think about Berbs and his ridiculous first touch: what are the odds that he simply WORKED HARDER than almost every other player of his generation to get that?

Unread 08-10-2015, 06:25 PM
Zorg

Of course talent exists ffs.

Unread 08-10-2015, 06:28 PM
utd99

I'm convinced Messi's neurons fire quicker than anyone else's. It's like everyone else is playing in slow motion.

Unread 08-10-2015, 06:32 PM
forzagarza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorg
Of course talent exists ffs.
Just look at the real girls thread. Yeah some of them put 10000 hours in but most of the talent is mostly natural

Unread 08-10-2015, 07:52 PM
Cream

Quote:
Agree 100%. Coaching at the academy level with kids who have all had the same amount and level of coaching, the variance in ability is staggering. You look at video footage of pros when they were kids, and they were miles and miles ahead of the other kids, despite not yet coming anywhere near the magical 10,000 hours training 'law.' A ton of factors play into all this, but there is such a thing as natural athletic ability.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2IAsgJXP4U

Messi aged 7 - absolutely ridiculous.

Unread 08-10-2015, 08:00 PM
red in cumbria

Seyd stood as a Labour candidate at the 2001 GE, against John Redwood of all people. No doubt that will help some on here dislike him more

Unread 08-10-2015, 08:02 PM
Bunker Buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by red in cumbria
Seyd stood as a Labour candidate at the 2001 GE, against John Redwood of all people. No doubt that will help some on here dislike him more
There's no doubt about it Ric.

Hate overdrive..

Unread 08-10-2015, 08:27 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
You going on 10 years of saying this doesn't make it true.

American Football depends a lot on athleticism; there is just as much skill. Otherwise, every great athlete in the US would be a multi-millionaire NFL player.

To give just one example - the Strength & Conditioning coach at my club is a former college football receiver. He is a freak athlete and runs the 40 meter sprint at near-Olympic sprinter speeds. He tried to make it in the NFL and couldn't - he wasn't good enough at reading defenses, running his routes (the QB often throws the pass before the receiver has turned around to look at it - if you're not good at routes, you won't catch passes), or disentangling himself at the line from defensive backs (receivers use 'moves' just like a footballer dribbling).

Lineman use all kinds of spins, feints, and moves to deal with their opposite number - otherwise, the bigger man would win every time. But he doesn't. This is true of linebackers too, and most players, really. American football is about being isolated 1v1 with an opponent. Being big and athletic is not nearly enough to win enough of those battles to stay in a job. You need moves, tricks, skills.

Obviously, a QB has to have enormous skill. Some of the best are barely athletes at all, i.e. Manning and Brady.
It's not skill. It's running drills. That's it. All they do is every thing that £#%&!ing air traffic controller on the touchline with the ludicrous headset tells them. Literally. Every step, every move, every single thing is pre planned. And don't tell me i'm wrong because even in movies where they ham it up and try and make it look dramatic as £#%&! it's still crap.

Now had you said NBA, i've got more truck with that because there is skill and talent involved in dribbling the ball and scoring a long 3 pointer.

But football? Nah. Sorry. Running through cones and doing phil-neville style silly leg drills don't make you talented.

Unread 08-10-2015, 08:32 PM
utd99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
It's not skill. It's running drills. That's it. All they do is every thing that £#%&!ing air traffic controller on the touchline with the ludicrous headset tells them. Literally. Every step, every move, every single thing is pre planned. And don't tell me i'm wrong because even in movies where they ham it up and try and make it look dramatic as £#%&! it's still crap.

Now had you said NBA, i've got more truck with that because there is skill and talent involved in dribbling the ball and scoring a long 3 pointer.

But football? Nah. Sorry. Running through cones and doing phil-neville style silly leg drills don't make you talented.
I despise American Football, and even I know that's utterly ludicrous.

Unread 08-10-2015, 08:36 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by utd99
I despise American Football, and even I know that's utterly ludicrous.
I don't care what you think.

Unread 08-10-2015, 08:41 PM
utd99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
I don't care what you think.
:rattled:

Unread 08-10-2015, 08:51 PM
sa7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cream
Messi aged 7 - absolutely ridiculous.