United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 08-10-2015, 12:48 AM
tetrisblock

Matthew Syed wrote a great book called bounce, essentially looking into the argument of talent versus environment and hard work, not a bullshitter in any sense of the word. He feels that there is no such thing as talent, which when you logically look into, is completely right! Think he has a new book coming out, but Bounce is easily one of the top sports books ever written.

Unread 08-10-2015, 01:11 AM
Camel

Quote:
Originally Posted by tetrisblock
Matthew Syed wrote a great book called bounce, essentially looking into the argument of talent versus environment and hard work, not a bullshitter in any sense of the word. He feels that there is no such thing as talent, which when you logically look into, is completely right! Think he has a new book coming out, but Bounce is easily one of the top sports books ever written.
smells like total bullshit to me. the nature v nurture debate can't logically come down in total favour of nurture. every football team could potentially have it's own messi if it was all just down to practice\hard work. yet on a planet of 7 billion people there's only one other who even comes close (tries hard enough )?

Unread 08-10-2015, 05:06 AM
Grimson

Syed may or may not be a great writer (as far as sportswriting can be 'great'); however, he IS a bullshitter, or at least he was once; he's a Gooner, and several years ago, after a game Arsenal lost (LOST) at Spurs, he wrote about being in the Spurs end and hearing Spurs fans murmur "My, but they play beautiful football!" (exact quote iirc) all throughout the game.

Unread 08-10-2015, 07:08 AM
teflon_terry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimson
Syed may or may not be a great writer (as far as sportswriting can be 'great'); however, he IS a bullshitter, or at least he was once; he's a Gooner, and several years ago, after a game Arsenal lost (LOST) at Spurs, he wrote about being in the Spurs end and hearing Spurs fans murmur "My, but they play beautiful football!" (exact quote iirc) all throughout the game.
Sorry Grimmers, I should have added that I think you are a great writer too.

Unread 08-10-2015, 08:18 AM
irk

Quote:
Originally Posted by teflon_terry
I don't think he went to public school. Not that it matters you inverted snob.

you're right. I'll find another reason hate him though.

ah, here it is
Quote:
and his mother is Welsh

Unread 08-10-2015, 09:04 AM
Ginners

Quote:
Originally Posted by irk

you're right. I'll find another reason hate him though.

ah, here it is

Unread 08-10-2015, 09:07 AM
elephantstone

I started reading his book 'bounce' but it was £#%&!ing so boring and self congratulatory that I put it down

Unread 08-10-2015, 09:20 AM
TheFatGoth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhodzy
State of the presenters in this. :shakehead:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmCtci6cen8
Horrendous.

Journo: "He's a corrupt, shady, ruthless business man, who stole from the Russian people and bought Chelsea as protection"

Jim White: "But....but...but....he's grown to love the club"

Unread 08-10-2015, 10:20 AM
andyroo

Quote:
Originally Posted by tetrisblock
Hi Matthew.

Unread 08-10-2015, 10:36 AM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhodzy
State of the presenters in this. :shakehead:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmCtci6cen8
£#%&!ing wasting his time trying to bring reality into the equation in that company. Look at tony cascarino sat next to him. The confused look on his face when syed starts talking about where he got his money from. He's so out of his depth he's embarrassing.

Unread 08-10-2015, 11:14 AM
Jack Duckworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by elephantstone
I started reading his book 'bounce' but it was £#%&!ing so boring and self congratulatory that I put it down
did it end up back in your hands straight after?

Unread 08-10-2015, 11:14 AM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Duckworth
no that was 'bouncing back'.

Unread 08-10-2015, 03:06 PM
Grimson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camel
smells like total bullshit to me. the nature v nurture debate can't logically come down in total favour of nurture. every football team could potentially have it's own messi if it was all just down to practice\hard work. yet on a planet of 7 billion people there's only one other who even comes close (tries hard enough )?
Agree 100%. Coaching at the academy level with kids who have all had the same amount and level of coaching, the variance in ability is staggering. You look at video footage of pros when they were kids, and they were miles and miles ahead of the other kids, despite not yet coming anywhere near the magical 10,000 hours training 'law.' A ton of factors play into all this, but there is such a thing as natural athletic ability.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teflon_terry
Sorry Grimmers, I should have added that I think you are a great writer too.

Unread 08-10-2015, 03:11 PM
elephantstone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Duckworth
yes mate I had to throw it behind a door and close it very quickly

Unread 08-10-2015, 03:50 PM
utd99

Absolute twaddle. You could take any ten random kids and have them practice sprinting three hours a day for ten years, and not one would get within 20 metres of Usain Bolt in the 100. And he eats chicken nuggets all day.

Unread 08-10-2015, 03:52 PM
Sparky***

Thankfully football is more than just being 'athletic'.

Obviously not american football which is literally just about either being big and fat or athletic. No skill at all.

Unread 08-10-2015, 03:58 PM
utd99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
Thankfully football is more than just being 'athletic'.

Obviously not american football which is literally just about either being big and fat or athletic. No skill at all.
It helps though. Those same ten kids playing three hours a day for ten years would be good players at age 19, just unlikely to be Prem standard and almost certainly not elite.

Unread 08-10-2015, 04:33 PM
Grimson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
You going on 10 years of saying this doesn't make it true.

American Football depends a lot on athleticism; there is just as much skill. Otherwise, every great athlete in the US would be a multi-millionaire NFL player.

To give just one example - the Strength & Conditioning coach at my club is a former college football receiver. He is a freak athlete and runs the 40 meter sprint at near-Olympic sprinter speeds. He tried to make it in the NFL and couldn't - he wasn't good enough at reading defenses, running his routes (the QB often throws the pass before the receiver has turned around to look at it - if you're not good at routes, you won't catch passes), or disentangling himself at the line from defensive backs (receivers use 'moves' just like a footballer dribbling).

Lineman use all kinds of spins, feints, and moves to deal with their opposite number - otherwise, the bigger man would win every time. But he doesn't. This is true of linebackers too, and most players, really. American football is about being isolated 1v1 with an opponent. Being big and athletic is not nearly enough to win enough of those battles to stay in a job. You need moves, tricks, skills.

Obviously, a QB has to have enormous skill. Some of the best are barely athletes at all, i.e. Manning and Brady.

Unread 08-10-2015, 05:05 PM
irk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimson
You going on 10 years of saying this doesn't make it true.

American Football depends a lot on athleticism; there is just as much skill. Otherwise, every great athlete in the US would be a multi-millionaire NFL player.

To give just one example - the Strength & Conditioning coach at my club is a former college football receiver. He is a freak athlete and runs the 40 meter sprint at near-Olympic sprinter speeds. He tried to make it in the NFL and couldn't - he wasn't good enough at reading defenses, running his routes (the QB often throws the pass before the receiver has turned around to look at it - if you're not good at routes, you won't catch passes), or disentangling himself at the line from defensive backs (receivers use 'moves' just like a footballer dribbling).

Lineman use all kinds of spins, feints, and moves to deal with their opposite number - otherwise, the bigger man would win every time. But he doesn't. This is true of linebackers too, and most players, really. American football is about being isolated 1v1 with an opponent. Being big and athletic is not nearly enough to win enough of those battles to stay in a job. You need moves, tricks, skills.

Obviously, a QB has to have enormous skill. Some of the best are barely athletes at all, i.e. Manning and Brady.
you're saying 'rowtes' not 'roots' arent you?

Unread 08-10-2015, 05:12 PM
jaffo

Quote:
Originally Posted by irk
you're saying 'rowtes' not 'roots' arent you?
Generally I'm very fond of our American brothers and sisters but it drives me radio £#%&!ing rental when they do that.
Closed Thread