United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 17-09-2015, 07:39 PM
Ethers

Bunks his spot on here.

If his leg doesn't get broken, everybody is saying what a great last ditch challenge it is.

You see similar challenges all over the pitch most games, the trailing leg taking the man out is just accepted as part and parcel of the game. "He got the ball, but he cleaned him out"

Go and look at the Wes Brown tackles we used to £#%&! about ffs.

Unread 17-09-2015, 07:40 PM
PeakyBlinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethers
Bunks his spot on here.

If his leg doesn't get broken, everybody is saying what a great last ditch challenge it is.

You see similar challenges all over the pitch most games, the trailing leg taking the man out is just accepted as part and parcel of the game. "He got the ball, but he cleaned him out"

Ouch!

Unread 17-09-2015, 07:41 PM
Clarkie

Quote:

£#%&!ing hell........Things aren't so bad these days after all

Unread 17-09-2015, 07:45 PM
Zorg

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeakyBlinder

Ouch!

Unread 17-09-2015, 10:10 PM
sa7

Quote:
Bunks his spot on here.

But his leg DID get broken so it's not a great challenge. But I'm not going to go down the route of those whining £#%&!ing Arsenal fans and hammer the lad who made the tackle (some of those #@&%!s actually thought Shawcross set out to snap Ramsay's leg in half ). It was a poor tackle but a complete fluke that he ended up breaking the leg and he shouldn't be hauled over the coals for it.

The rest of what you're saying pretty much back up the points I made as far as fans enjoying tough tackling.

Unread 18-09-2015, 01:13 AM
tetrisblock

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeakyBlinder
Thanks for the update George Clooney.
No hassle Flouncey, I'll take the compliment though

Unread 18-09-2015, 10:38 AM
ScholesGingerSheen

I could see the argument for it being a great last ditch tackle a bit easier if Shaw had suffered a broken ankle, but Moreno's trailing leg has hit him at mid shin height while both his feet are off the ground FFS. That's a bad challenge, and why it's not really like Wesley's above.

Unread 18-09-2015, 10:46 AM
Mr Kaboom

Has to also be partly that a defender charging into a penalty area at full pace doesn't have the self preservation instinct of a forward who has a sense of what might be coming.

Unread 18-09-2015, 12:16 PM
Alex Jones was Right

Weren't fifa supposed to be outlawing scissor tackles like that because they're dangerous? A leg that sweeps in from behind a player at calf or knee height is bound to injure someone more often than not. You can do a lot of damage with a trailing leg and people just accept it wasn't intentional. But even if not intentional, such poor technique is a high risk and thus dangerous. I know when I made sliding tackles my trailing leg was tucked in and under control. The only way I could imagine my trailing leg acting like the psv player's is if I didn't have control of the tackle or was doing it intentionally to hurt someone.

Unread 18-09-2015, 12:31 PM
dragflick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammy Dodger
Weren't fifa supposed to be outlawing scissor tackles like that because they're dangerous? A leg that sweeps in from behind a player at calf or knee height is bound to injure someone more often than not. You can do a lot of damage with a trailing leg and people just accept it wasn't intentional. But even if not intentional, such poor technique is a high risk and thus dangerous. I know when I made sliding tackles my trailing leg was tucked in and under control. The only way I could imagine my trailing leg acting like the psv player's is if I didn't have control of the tackle or was doing it intentionally to hurt someone.
Yeah, but his other leg got the ball so it's fine...

Unread 18-09-2015, 03:03 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScholesGingerSheen
I could see the argument for it being a great last ditch tackle a bit easier if Shaw had suffered a broken ankle, but Moreno's trailing leg has hit him at mid shin height while both his feet are off the ground FFS. That's a bad challenge, and why it's not really like Wesley's above.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Kaboom
Has to also be partly that a defender charging into a penalty area at full pace doesn't have the self preservation instinct of a forward who has a sense of what might be coming.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammy Dodger
All spot on. The defender isn't in control, which is why he's come off the ground and lunged in due to panic at Shaw's run. Part of the reason we loved Brown's challenges is that they were borderline, but Brown was always in control and would measure the challenge, which meant it was cleaner and the opposition player could see it coming and get his studs out the turf.

This wasn't a 50-50 collision, it was a panicked defender throwing himself into a last-ditch tackle. And he got way too much of the player.

Unread 18-09-2015, 03:17 PM
Tiberian

It is one of the oddities of the game how challenges inside the box are judged to a different standard. We have been conditioned as fans to think that way, Shaw suffered an horrific injury, the reckless force behind it is obvious. On the half way line no question it is a red and a scuffle between the players.

Players down to the very lowest level think in the same way, throwing your body in to block a shot is brave and committed. Stopped playing 11 aside 3 years back when the season started with 5 broken legs in the first 8 games of the season, 2 in one game, 40 min stoppage for an ambulance to arrive, then another snapped within 5 mins of the restart

Unread 18-09-2015, 04:04 PM
morgan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberian
It is one of the oddities of the game how challenges inside the box are judged to a different standard. We have been conditioned as fans to think that way, Shaw suffered an horrific injury, the reckless force behind it is obvious. On the half way line no question it is a red and a scuffle between the players.

Players down to the very lowest level think in the same way, throwing your body in to block a shot is brave and committed. Stopped playing 11 aside 3 years back when the season started with 5 broken legs in the first 8 games of the season, 2 in one game, 40 min stoppage for an ambulance to arrive, then another snapped within 5 mins of the restart
£#%&!ing hell, where where you playing? Prison?

Unread 18-09-2015, 04:06 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgan
£#%&!ing hell, where where you playing? Prison?
I've seen the same myself tbh. One of the reasons I stopped playing football is because of absolute #@&%!s that would think nothing of fracturing people's eye sockets with elbows or hacking people at the knee.

Unread 18-09-2015, 04:15 PM
morgan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
I've seen the same myself tbh. One of the reasons I stopped playing football is because of absolute #@&%!s that would think nothing of fracturing people's eye sockets with elbows or hacking people at the knee.
I've played with a few #@&%!s in my time (not in a gay way), but luckily only occasionally seen bad injuries

Stopped playing 11a side due to the constant handbags / starting on the ref etc

Unread 18-09-2015, 04:30 PM
Tiberian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by morgan
I've played with a few #@&%!s in my time (not in a gay way), but luckily only occasionally seen bad injuries

Stopped playing 11a side due to the constant handbags / starting on the ref etc
Both of these, idiots coming out on a Saturday after a shit week looking to take it out on someone. Too many bills and responsibilities to take that risk, especially in my mid 30's when I am slower and will not heal as quickly.

That run of injuries was an anomaly, seen plenty of horrific tackles down the years but only 4 broken legs in 20 years of playing before that spell, one of them my own.

Unread 18-09-2015, 04:30 PM
Jack Duckworth

apparently, some southampton fans are planning a minutes applause on the 23rd minute for sheezy

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/f...-10507762.html

Unread 18-09-2015, 04:36 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberian
Both of these, idiots coming out on a Saturday after a shit week looking to take it out on someone. Too many bills and responsibilities to take that risk, especially in my mid 30's when I am slower and will not heal as quickly.

That run of injuries was an anomaly, seen plenty of horrific tackles down the years but only 4 broken legs in 20 years of playing before that spell, one of them my own.
Ugh. How long did it take to recover?

Unread 18-09-2015, 04:43 PM
Sparky***

I'll never forget the time I clattered this £#%&!ing lesbo at a 7-a-side tournament one year.

The BBC used to have and inter department football tournament in motspur park. We came up against BBC bristol and they had this £#%&!ing bird on their team who was going around literally kicking people's ankles and flooring everyone. All her team mates and friends thought it was hilarious watching her kick the shit out of everyone. I came on as a sub and the minute she came near me the first thing i did was launch the @#%&! up in the air, she did a £#%&!ing cartwheel.

Got subbed for my own saftey after that as everybody went radio rental.

Unread 18-09-2015, 04:45 PM
dragflick

Quote:
I'll never forget the time I clattered this £#%&!ing lesbo at a 7-a-side tournament one year.

The BBC used to have and inter department football tournament in motspur park. We came up against BBC bristol and they had this £#%&!ing bird on their team who was going around literally kicking people's ankles and flooring everyone. All her team mates and friends thought it was hilarious watching her kick the shit out of everyone. I came on as a sub and the minute she came near me the first thing i did was launch the @#%&! up in the air, she did a £#%&!ing cartwheel.

Got subbed for my own saftey after that as everybody went radio rental.
Closed Thread