United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 24-02-2009, 03:03 PM
carlosartorial

Thumbs up Wenger = top mentalist

Doesn't see why Arshavin should be cup-tied.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/foot...pe/7906404.stm

Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger has queried the regulations surrounding Andrey Arshavin's exclusion from the Champions League last-16 match against Roma.

The Russia forward is cup-tied having played for Zenit St Petersburg in earlier rounds of the competition.

"The logic is not obvious - he played for a team that cannot play in the competition anymore," Wenger said ahead of Tuesday's first leg.

"But we cannot complain because we knew that when we bought him."

Unread 24-02-2009, 03:04 PM
Ginners

it is a bit of an odd rule

Unread 24-02-2009, 03:05 PM
waynes ear's

i literally read that 2 minutes ago and thought "is he for £#%&!ing real?"

Unread 24-02-2009, 03:06 PM
carlosartorial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginners
it is a bit of an odd rule
From where you're stood, almost undoubtably.

Unread 24-02-2009, 03:08 PM
armchair

How many years have his 'young' arsenal been 2 years away from being the best team in england?

He keeps on selling that shit.

Unread 24-02-2009, 03:13 PM
marlo

Quote:
Originally Posted by armchair
How many years have his 'young' arsenal been 2 years away from being the best team in england?

He keeps on selling that shit.
last season they handed us the league tbf

Unread 24-02-2009, 03:14 PM
sullers

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlo
because we were better?

Unread 24-02-2009, 03:14 PM
marlo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sullers
because we were better?
they took their eye off the ball and we had luck on our side.

Unread 24-02-2009, 03:15 PM
dodger

Default And there's more

Arsène Wenger has the vision of a golden generation of young players at Arsenal to rival that which Manchester United developed in the 90s and he is convinced that they will form the backbone of the finest team in the country in three years' time.

The Frenchman railed, not for the first time, against what he perceives to be the vulgar spending of the other top clubs in England, as he made the boast that Arsenal were the only club among Europe's elite who "educate" their own players rather than sign them as fully fledged superstars for eye-watering fees.

He name-checked the five players that he feels represent Arsenal's future – the midfielders Cesc Fábregas, Abou Diaby and Denilson, as well as the wingers Theo Walcott and Samir Nasri. Diaby is 22 years old, Walcott 19 and the others 21.

Wenger overlooked the fact that all of them have been bought from other clubs at a combined cost of some £23m, whereas United's fabled youngsters of the previous decade were homegrown and, as such, cost nothing. David Beckham apart, they all hailed from the Greater Manchester area. However in Wenger's mind everything is relative, particularly the outlay of £23m in the excessive world of *21st‑century football, and he suggested that the biggest challenge he faces is to keep his squad together.

It was put to Wenger that United, for example, also had some promising young players. "Nani and Anderson?" he scoffed, of the midfielders who each cost around £18m. "The two young Brazilians [the Da Silva twins] do not play in the Champions League," he continued. "You look [at the Champions League last 16 line-ups] and see how many players [have been] *educated at our club and then take all the players from the other Champions League teams and tell me how many have been educated at those clubs.

"United do what they want and do it well and I do not criticise. But I just say that number-wise, we are the only club that has gone for a different policy because we wanted to build our stadium and get this team to maturity."

Wenger, whose argument is undermined slightly by his £15m capture of the Russia midfielder Andrei Arshavin, has completely overhauled his squad in recent years.

Unread 24-02-2009, 03:16 PM
dodger

Quote:
last season we handed you the league tbf
That's better

Unread 24-02-2009, 03:16 PM
Gypsum Fantastic

Thumbs up

Quote:
It's often the luckiest team that prevails over a full season.

Unread 24-02-2009, 03:18 PM
sullers

Quote:
fair enough, i think we were better than lucky to win the title imo.

(yeah, that's good english i knows i do)

marlo

i put my hands up and admit that they do have a fine squad of youngsters,possibly the best in europe and im a united fan.

carlosartorial

Quote:
I know what you are getting at but the cracks were there before Saint Eduardo got injured.

They blew-up big-style and simply haven't recovered.

Wait til next August when Rosicky, Fabregas (if still there) and Arshavin are all fit and they win 3 games in the bounce....the Emirates will be rocking again and they'll be back enjoying all the plaudits their 'champagne football' brings.

Unread 24-02-2009, 03:21 PM
marlo

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlosartorial
I know what you are getting at but the cracks were there before Saint Eduardo got injured.

They blew-up big-style and simply haven't recovered.

Wait til next August when Rosicky, Fabregas (if still there) and Arshavin are all fit and they win 3 games in the bounce....the Emirates will be rocking again and they'll be back enjoying all the plaudits their 'champagne football' brings.
the eduardo injury really affected them, if not they would have been worthy champions playing the sort of football that was too much for us when they came to ot last season.

we are the better team now i reckon.

Unread 24-02-2009, 03:22 PM
armchair

It's just a clever ploy to keep his job without having to provide trophies.

Unread 24-02-2009, 03:25 PM
sullers

Quote:
i put my hands up and admit that they do have a fine squad of youngsters,possibly the best in europe and im a united fan.
but they've said this for 10+ years and don't have much to show for it. they keep peddling this when they beat Swindon 5-0 in the league cup.

Unread 24-02-2009, 03:27 PM
dodger

Quote:
the eduardo injury really affected them, if not they would have been worthy champions playing the sort of football that was too much for us when they came to ot last season.

we are the better team now i reckon.
Was that when you snatched a last minute equaliser or got dicked 4-0?

Unread 24-02-2009, 03:28 PM
Ginners

arsenal always have world class kids but never enough experiences players, and when the kids to get experienced they get sold. shit club imo

Unread 24-02-2009, 03:29 PM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger
Was that when you snatched a last minute equaliser or got dicked 4-0?
Don't you think it's all a bit obvious now?
Closed Thread