United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 18-05-2007, 03:45 AM
Serenity Now

Default Guardian - "Ferguson could be thwarted as Bale leans to Spurs"

Of course, The Times reckon that we're at the head of the queue. They also suggest that we're "locked in a battle" with Newcastle for Mark Viduka.

More quality journalism from the broadsheets!

And will there ever be a summer when Henry isn't supposed to be leaving? Or one when he actually leaves?
Quote:
Stuart James and Jeremy Wilson
Friday May 18, 2007
Guardian

Tottenham seem to have gained the upper hand in their battle with Manchester United to sign the Wales defender Gareth Bale, with the 17-year-old left-back understood to be leaning towards a move to White Hart Lane.

Southampton accepted a bid from Tottenham during the January transfer window but the teenager, mindful that United were also interested and keen to finish the season on the south coast, opted to stay at St Mary's. With the Saints failing to win promotion, however, his departure is now regarded as inevitable. His future is expected to be discussed at St Mary's next week, with north London emerging as the most likely destination.

Spurs are keen to add a left-sided player to their squad and it is believed that Bale has been made aware of the financial package on offer. He was shown around White Hart Lane in January and, although United's interest has flattered the teenager, the opportunity to play regularly may be a decisive factor in his decision.

Tony Adams looks likely to remain as assistant manager to Harry Redknapp at Portsmouth. The former Arsenal and England captain had intended to leave at the end of the season to resume the managerial career he started in 2003 with Wycombe Wanderers.

He has admitted that he finds aspects of his job at Portsmouth frustrating, most notably not being in position to make major decisions, but despite other options he has now indicated that he would like to remain at the club. It is understood that he has been offered a new one-year contract at Fratton Park and, although he is yet to put pen to paper, Portsmouth are optimistic that he will stay.

Arsenal's captain, Thierry Henry, was reported last night to have told team-mates that he plans to leave the Emirates Stadium this summer, though his manager, Arsène Wenger, insisted a week ago that the striker would not be sold. Barcelona are keen to buy Henry, having been turned down by him a year ago, and their president, Joan Laporta, has privately expressed confidence in achieving that.

Bolton have signed the Slovakia Under-21 international Zoltan Harsanyi. The 19-year-old is Sammy Lee's first signing since becoming manager and has agreed a three-year deal after impressing on loan.

Claus Jensen has left Fulham, criticising the manager Lawrie Sanchez's tactics. "The long-ball game has been pretty much what we've been doing and that isn't my kind of football," he said.

The Chilean winger Mark Gonzalez has hinted that he may be leaving Liverpool. "I have a three-year contract but you never know," he said. "I would like to stay next season and beyond but it has not been the best year for me."

England Under-19s' hopes of qualifying for the European championship ended with a 2-1 defeat to Holland at Coventry's Ricoh Arena last night. England's women, though, continued their build-up to the World Cup in China with a 4-0 win over Iceland at Southend.

Guardian Unlimited © Guardian News and Media Limited 2007

Unread 18-05-2007, 05:06 AM
Lou_Macari_Chippy

That veruka one is something else though, i think the equivelant of a 'press wum'

Unread 18-05-2007, 07:50 AM
micky_moodys_hat

Spurs will pay £8 million for him then sell him to us for £20 million in a couple of years time if past experience is anything to go by

Unread 18-05-2007, 07:58 AM
koppas

Let them have him.

Unread 18-05-2007, 08:08 AM
Whalefish

I'd rather Utd spent what little money they have on a defensive midfielder, an attacking midfielder and a striker.

If cover for any full back is needed it must be for Gary, not Evra.

Unread 18-05-2007, 08:11 AM
Fountz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whalefish
I'd rather Utd spent what little money they have on a defensive midfielder, an attacking midfielder and a striker.

If cover for any full back is needed it must be for Gary, not Evra.
Ah but Bale will eventually play Midfield.

Mark my words.. you heard it here first.

Unread 18-05-2007, 08:13 AM
Whalefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fountz
Ah but Bale will eventually play Midfield.

Mark my words.. you heard it here first.
Wonderful news.

A crap 'wonderkid' in midfield.

Unread 18-05-2007, 08:14 AM
Paul Mcgrath

We're also looking to pay 20m for Nani.

This Viduka thing, anyone with a shred of common sense should see that any player Newcastle are after, we shouldn't be going for.

Unread 18-05-2007, 08:17 AM
Lou_Macari_Chippy

Viduka's name should be banned on here, not worth mentioning, that fat £#%&!er is no united player. i'd rather see rossi back.

Unread 18-05-2007, 08:28 AM
antonin jablonsky

"Ferguson could be thwarted as Bale leans to Spurs"

Good.

Unread 18-05-2007, 08:43 AM
The Return of JC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou_Macari_Chippy
Viduka's name should be banned on here, not worth mentioning, that fat £#%&!er is no united player. i'd rather see rossi back.
Absolutely.

Viduka is not a bad player, but a United player he most certainly is not.

We need a striker who is quick, athletic and mobile.

Not lazy, slow and fat!

Bale: I like the idea of picking up young British talent at an early age, but I can't help but feel it's money much needed elsewhere.

And Spurs had a bid accepted in January? I must've missed that one.

Unread 18-05-2007, 08:57 AM
Fountz

Default But you miss the point..

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Return of JC
Not lazy, slow and fat!

The likes of Viduka who have undoubted natural talent but languish at mediocre clubs are operating on 70% because they know they're going to win chuff all.

I think you'd see a very different player if he came to us..

Give him a short to medium contract of 2-3 years.. give him no guarantees, and I think you'd see an absolute blinder of a player emerge.

Unread 18-05-2007, 08:59 AM
Fuzzy Dunlop

Anyone who chooses Spurs over United clearly doesn't have enough faith in their ability.

Unread 18-05-2007, 09:10 AM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
The likes of Viduka who have undoubted natural talent but languish at mediocre clubs are operating on 70% because they know they're going to win chuff all.

Give him a short to medium contract of 2-3 years.. give him no guarantees, and I think you'd see an absolute blinder of a player emerge.
We went though this yesterday and the day before. He isn't good, young, fit or fast enough to be our main striker so it's essentially a squad player signing. The player taking this role should be Giusseppe Rossi and I can't belive United fans would rather have a fat convict in our squad than give a young talent like Red Joe a chance. It's £#%&!ing beyond me.

Unread 18-05-2007, 09:14 AM
Whalefish

I'd take Rossi and Rooney as Utd strikers next season. I'd like 2 new strikers in and if Viduka was one I'd have no complaints.

I cannot see Ole contributing much next year and Smith is shit. No goal threat whatsoever. WTF is the point.

Unread 18-05-2007, 09:14 AM
The Return of JC

Quote:

United can't make that assumption.
You can't look at a lazy player and assume they'll work harder because he's at a bigger club.

Besides, even if he wasn't lazy, he's not the type of striker we need.

We need a young striker in the Saha mould.

Viduka has undoubted quality. He's strong, holds the ball up and is a fine finisher of all kinds of goals - but we may aswell have kept Ruud for that.

It'd be a backwards step.

Can you honestly see him having the movement and mobility to succeed in our fluid interchanging system.

I certainly can't.

A good player, but not for us.

Unread 18-05-2007, 09:17 AM
Fountz

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonin jablonsky
We went though this yesterday and the day before. He isn't good, young, fit or fast enough to be our main striker so it's essentially a squad player signing. The player taking this role should be Giusseppe Rossi and I can't belive United fans would rather have a fat convict in our squad than give a young talent like Red Joe a chance. It's £#%&!ing beyond me.
A club of our size should be able to have them both and a main striker like Huntelaar.. They'd all be on their toes, knowing that one poor performance, and they might not get another game for 2 months.

Unread 18-05-2007, 09:19 AM
Fountz

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Return of JC
United can't make that assumption.
You can't look at a lazy player and assume they'll work harder because he's at a bigger club.

Besides, even if he wasn't lazy, he's not the type of striker we need.

We need a young striker in the Saha mould.

Viduka has undoubted quality. He's strong, holds the ball up and is a fine finisher of all kinds of goals - but we may aswell have kept Ruud for that.It'd be a backwards step.

Can you honestly see him having the movement and mobility to succeed in our fluid interchanging system.

I certainly can't.

A good player, but not for us.
You make some good points, and to be fair, I am ever so slightly playing Devil's Advocate here.

I would've kept Ruud anyway.

Unread 18-05-2007, 09:25 AM
Gog Coch

Bale and Viduka are both no no's.

Unread 18-05-2007, 09:31 AM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
A club of our size should be able to have them both and a main striker like Huntelaar.. They'd all be on their toes, knowing that one poor performance, and they might not get another game for 2 months.
Have you heard the name Glazer at all?
Closed Thread