United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 28-01-2018, 07:26 PM
ziggyman17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
They just don't seem to have 'off' days, do they?

It's £#%&!ing remarkable. Any football team i've ever watched down the years, even United at our most unstoppable and vibrant best, have had periods where we've struggled over several games and looked vulnerable.

Whether that's down to our players losing focus or sheer fatigue, to be involved in 4 competitions still at this stage of the season and to only have 2 defeats (one of which was a reserve team in the champions league dead rubber game) is absolutely staggering.

Part of me is struck by a certain amount of admiration by how they can keep this level of performance up for so many months and the other part of me is utterly infuriated that they haven't been challenged what so ever domestically. Yes, that is partly our fault thanks to our own abysmal defending from corners, but we're only one team, there's 18 others in our league and apart from Liverpool nobody has looked like beating them.

Unless they suffer a huge drop off next season you do wonder how anyone is going to get anywhere near that level of consistency in the next couple of years.
They have had the rub of the green this season too.. Late goals here and there, that will have to run out, very few decisions going against them, lack of injuries and lack of players losing form,

Unread 28-01-2018, 07:33 PM
AK14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggyman17
They have had the rub of the green this season too.. Late goals here and there, that will have to run out, very few decisions going against them, lack of injuries and lack of players losing form,
Tbf I just don't think the league is all that

Us and Chelsea are the best of the rest at the moment and we've both had poor runs of form and neither are exactly great sides

When you've got Burnley, who've scored something like 9 home goals all season or some shit, fighting for a European spot you know something not quite right

Unread 28-01-2018, 07:38 PM
sub three hours

Quote:
Originally Posted by no fun
Blue mate of mine is hoping they win it the game before so we have to give them a guard of honour

£#%&! that

A blue nose mate of mine said exactly the same thing to me this morning. He went on to say that he'd swap winning the league cup for it if he could.

Unread 28-01-2018, 07:41 PM
puressence

There is no law stating guard of honour. Anywhere £#%&! em

Unread 28-01-2018, 07:45 PM
Clarkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sub three hours
A blue nose mate of mine said exactly the same thing to me this morning. He went on to say that he'd swap winning the league cup for it if he could.
Would you swap winning the league cup for winning the league at Anfield?

Unread 28-01-2018, 07:50 PM
sub three hours

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarkie
Would you swap winning the league cup for winning the league at Anfield?

Yeah, come to think of it, I probably would.

Apparently we started this whole 'guard of honour' thing when Matt Busby had his team form a guard of honour in 1955 when Chelsea won their first league title.

Unread 28-01-2018, 07:53 PM
Chris Quayd

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK14
Tbf I just don't think the league is all that

Us and Chelsea are the best of the rest at the moment and we've both had poor runs of form and neither are exactly great sides

When you've got Burnley, who've scored something like 9 home goals all season or some shit, fighting for a European spot you know something not quite right
13 teams have a negative goal difference

Unread 28-01-2018, 07:57 PM
red in cumbria

They did have a run of games before Xmas when they didn't look all that, they still won them though.

Unread 28-01-2018, 08:04 PM
Billy Redface

Quote:
Originally Posted by red in cumbria
They did have a run of games before Christmas when they didn't look all that, they still won them though.
They still don't now tbh. They're just not really being tested.

And it's all too little too late.

Unread 28-01-2018, 08:06 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Quayd
13 teams have a negative goal difference
Exactly. The league is very odd at the moment. Never has the amount of money within it been so high but the level of competition throughout it has been diluted.

The mid-lower level teams are basically a bunch of championship level squads treading water and hoping not to get relegated. There's very few stand out players in any of the teams from 8th downwards , let alone ones that you'd say are among the best in the division.

Unread 28-01-2018, 08:16 PM
Billy Redface

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
Exactly. The league is very odd at the moment. Never has the amount of money within it been so high but the level of competition throughout it has been diluted.

The mid-lower level teams are basically a bunch of championship level squads treading water and hoping not to get relegated. There's very few stand out players in any of the teams from 8th downwards , let alone ones that you'd say are among the best in the division.
Yep. The league is shit.

The money, the media, the '100m match' label for the Championship play off final.... it's hardly surprising that teams are solely interested in picking up points wherever they can through any means necessary.

'Giving it a go' and providing entertainment is bottom of their list.

Unread 28-01-2018, 09:21 PM
sa7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Redface
Yep. The league is shit.

The money, the media, the '100m match' label for the Championship play off final.... it's hardly surprising that teams are solely interested in picking up points wherever they can through any means necessary.

'Giving it a go' and providing entertainment is bottom of their list.
I was speaking with a Leeds fan who genuinely isn’t arsed about coming back up. Knows they wouldn’t be challenging at the top and sees no appeal in scratching around for the odd point here or there in the name of being part of the gravy train.

I can see his point to be fair.

Unread 28-01-2018, 09:26 PM
Billy Redface

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa7
I was speaking with a Leeds fan who genuinely isn’t arsed about coming back up. Knows they wouldn’t be challenging at the top and sees no appeal in scratching around for the odd point here or there in the name of being part of the gravy train.

I can see his point to be fair.
Wasn't that fit anyway etc

Unread 29-01-2018, 12:11 AM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Redface
Wasn't that fit anyway etc
I know, but you can still see their point nonetheless.

Unread 29-01-2018, 09:17 AM
20 times

Has Pep got a touchline ban yet for abusing the officials?

No. Thought not
Closed Thread