United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 30-04-2009, 09:42 AM
marlo

Thumbs up what a performance yesterday

a proper european semi final played against a good team with united stamping their authority on the game playing good incisive football.
the total football baron and co have talked about was on display in the first half.

overlapping fullbacks, interchanging forwards, runs from midfield and nice football with width and imagination.

best football we have played all season and almost a flashback to when we were in our pomp last season.

Unread 30-04-2009, 09:46 AM
wiganste

Thumbs up

We were very good but I hope we don't rue our missed chances.

Unread 30-04-2009, 09:48 AM
Fuzzy Dunlop

2-0 to Arsenal at the Emirates. Just watch. We'll sit back and they'll pull a switcheroo.

Unread 30-04-2009, 09:48 AM
Father Christmas

It's a shame we didn't score more but games when you take most of your chances (like Spurs and when Liverpool put 4 past us) are the exception. Before the match SAF would have taken 1-0 like a shot. Don't see why Arsenal should be any more of a threat in the return - and can't see them beating us by 2 clear goals - Wenger is too cautious against us since we scored 4 at Highbury a few years back. Bookies odds on qualifying have shortened a lot after last night.

Unread 30-04-2009, 09:49 AM
carlosartorial

I thought we were fantastic last night and it was a travesty we didn't manage a 2nd goal.

Unread 30-04-2009, 10:00 AM
Crumps

We could of and should of took them to bits last night. We didn't play that well when we beat em 6-1.

Unread 30-04-2009, 10:06 AM
RedMenace

I've seen nothing from them in any of our recent mettings that would suggest we should be worried about losing to them by 2 clear goals. If we play to our potential we've nothing to fear from them. We always look like scoring against them every time we play them. We're due a win at the Emirates too.

Unread 30-04-2009, 10:12 AM
Baron

I'll just add a note... as a squad it was as good a performance for a while, but Arsenal were there for the taking & it's still squeeky bum time if they score first down there.

Delighted with the movement though, just the clinical side that was missing & we still basically relied on Ronnie to provide all the goal scoring threat other than the goal... so yeah, same as last year

Unread 30-04-2009, 10:15 AM
Ginners

was a great performance in the 1st half, tempo went in the 2nd, i dont think arsenal will beat us by 2 goals but we still should have made it more comfortable

Unread 30-04-2009, 10:16 AM
Mr_Ed

Think we'll score down there but they had a few minor moments that had me worried - they're still a good passing side who can cut us open.

I think Carrick should spend more time playing the easy pass and not the killer one and had O'Pie not scored he would have been getting some abuse this morning - he's a weak link IMHO.

Unread 30-04-2009, 10:32 AM
Jack Duckworth

superb performance. we'll shit em in the second leg.

Unread 30-04-2009, 10:33 AM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlo
a proper european semi final played against a good team with united stamping their authority on the game playing good incisive football.
the total football baron and co have talked about was on display in the first half.

overlapping fullbacks, interchanging forwards, runs from midfield and nice football with width and imagination.

best football we have played all season and almost a flashback to when we were in our pomp last season.

yeah okay

Unread 30-04-2009, 10:39 AM
Withers

We could do with a thread just for discussing things like this.

May suggest it to armchair.

Unread 30-04-2009, 10:50 AM
Shegger

If we can score that crucial away goal early on then I can't see them scoring 3 without reply.

We were very good yesterday in the first half but we still must be cautious, they'll be a different proposition at home and have to have a go. Hopefully we can exploit the space they'll leave on the break and the scramble for Rome briefs can begin

Unread 30-04-2009, 10:54 AM
dodger

Great stuff. if we score in the next leg we're through. Tevez worked his socks off but just doesn't look like scoring many goals. He's a bit like Park in many ways...

Unread 30-04-2009, 11:07 AM
RedMenace

Look at all the headlines coming through in the feeds section from Wenger, Fabregas etc. "Prepare for your exit says Fabregas", "One goal won't be enough says Wenger", £#%&!'s sake you'd swear it was all part of some great master plan to lose last night and win by two at home. They were doing the same bleating before yesterday's game, "We're not afraid of anyone roars Fabregas" etc. Whereas our player are generally keeping quiet and getting on with it. Then again I suppose we know how to go about winning competitions like this.

Unread 30-04-2009, 11:11 AM
Fuzzy Dunlop

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMenace
Look at all the headlines coming through in the feeds section from Wenger, Fabregas etc. "Prepare for your exit says Fabregas", "One goal won't be enough says Wenger", £#%&!'s sake you'd swear it was all part of some great master plan to lose last night and win by two at home. They were doing the same bleating before yesterday's game, "We're not afraid of anyone roars Fabregas" etc. Whereas our player are generally keeping quiet and getting on with it. Then again I suppose we know how to go about winning competitions like this.
They're just glad they're still in the tie. If they looked at their performance in private they won't be happy.

Unread 30-04-2009, 11:12 AM
dodger

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMenace
Indeed. If they'd nicked a goal they'd be right in it. They still have a chance but not much of one.

Unread 30-04-2009, 11:15 AM
marlo

thought andy did his usual job on fabregas yesterday.

adebayor should be embarassed tbh.his performance hurt andy gray on the inside by the sound of things.

Unread 30-04-2009, 11:16 AM
Tumescent Throb

United have played some classic United football in the last 4 games (Wembley not included), that's the big positive

winning at Porto was a big thing, as was battering Spurs after two 0-0 games this season. last night we almost made a silk purse out of a sow's ear

1-0 is a decent result obviously, but we're better than that and proved nothing much to anyone with our performance. Arsenal were a shambles early on and even if the goalkeeper did well, we had one or two great situations that should've seen us with one foot in the final

i left the place buzzing, but still wanting more basically

still, if we don't score down there i'll be amazed, and roll on Saturday cus if we turn up anything like then 'boro' won't be able to live with us
Closed Thread