United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 28-04-2009, 01:16 AM
Stubbsy

Thumbs up Nani set for exit after walking out

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/f...t-1675231.html

The Manchester United future of Nani, the Portuguese signed to take over Ryan Giggs' mantle, is in increasing doubt after he left Old Trafford before the end of Saturday's game, having been substituted at half time.

The 22-year-old is understood to have been "very upset" after Sir Alex Ferguson did not send him out for the second half against Tottenham and he left the stadium around 10 minutes before the end, having watched his replacement, Carlos Tevez, help inspire United's comeback. He will not be fined and his unwillingness to stay around to see his jubilant team-mates is not strictly against club rules but it raises serious doubts about his future.

Sources close to the player in Portugal suggested yesterday that if Cristiano Ronaldo, his main ally at United, leaves for Real Madrid this summer then Nani will depart too – probably for Internazionale. The player said last night: "I was not satisfied about my role against Tottenham but I accept the orders of the coach by the substitution at half-time. The team changed in many ways during the second half but I wasn't responsible for the first 45 minutes. I finished the match unhappy though I am still waiting to demonstrate what I can do."

But his early removal on Saturday looked justified and continues a dire season in which the left midfielder, signed for £14m from Sporting Lisbon, has been substituted on each of his six league starts and never made it beyond 70 minutes. Nani insisted he wanted to stay and fight for his United future. "I have signed a deal with this club and my dream is to obtain a permanent place in the eleven," he said.

But Ferguson's decision to buy the Partizan Belgrade winger Zoran Tosic in January raised questions, even though the Serbian has not developed physically in time to feature this season as Ferguson had hoped. If United move for Wigan's Antonio Valencia in the close season Nani would appear to have little prospect of staying.

Nani said in an interview with Portuguese journalists a few months back that he did not understand why he had such a bad press in England this season because although he is playing less, he has scored more – six goals compared to four last season. There was widespread surprise when United paid out such a sum for him in the summer of 2007, although his United career started promisingly. He scored a spectacular 30-yard winner against Spurs at the start of last season before setting up the goals which enabled United to shade 1-0 wins against Sunderland and Everton and scoring against Liverpool.

Nani, who grew up in a tough district of Lisbon, has always been a difficult character. Even when he was winning plaudits at Sporting, he lacked Ronaldo's charisma and his decline can be tracked to his unfathomable headbutt on the West Ham defender Lucas Neill in the penultimate league game of last season.

The Brazilian right-back Rafael, whose torrid time against Luka Modric on Saturday was out of keeping with a fine first season at United, has been given a two-year contract extension which will keep him at Old Trafford until June 2013. His twin brother Fabio has not played enough games for United to have warranted a contract extension, though his initial deal takes him through to 2011 at least.

"Everyone at the club has been very impressed and excited by [Rafael's] first year as a professional," Ferguson said. "His enthusiasm and the adventurous way he plays is typical of a Manchester United player and we are delighted that he has signed a new contract."

Unread 28-04-2009, 01:18 AM
Stubbsy

Inter Milan are considering a summer swoop for Manchester United Football Club’s Nani.

The 22-year-old Portugal international arrived at Old Trafford in the summer of 2007 for a costly £17million, and with a reputation as one of the most exciting talents in Europe.

However, the former Sporting Lisbon youngster has found it difficult to force his way into Sir Alex Ferguson’s first team plans on a regular basis, and the arrival of Zoran Tosic has placed question marks over his future.

Reports in Italy claim Inter coach Jose Mourinho is willing to take a chance on the winger in the summer, although he would be looking to do business for no more than £12million.

Nani, who won the UEFA Champions League with the Reds last season, insists his future is in Manchester, saying: “I don’t want to leave Manchester United and nothing has been said about me leaving.”

Unread 28-04-2009, 01:22 AM
TreeFiddy

Interesting.

It's not too late for him to still make it at United but it doesn't look likely. He obviously has plenty of ability but sometimes he looks like a better Kieran Richardson. Not a great attitude either it seems.

I won't be bothered if we bring in a replacement. Valencia sounds very likely.

Lastly, I doubt Nani will be off to Inter unless Mourinho leaves. Not really a Jose player, is he?

Unread 28-04-2009, 01:28 AM
Ether

The quotes don't do him any favours, and if it's true he walked out then he wants £#%&!ing.

I think the stuff about him leaving is just a load of %@#$&!s made up by the journo though, there's nothing to suggest it's the case and Nani even says in the article he wants to stay and fight for a place

Unread 28-04-2009, 04:43 AM
user_name

Yes, this tiny bit was left out:

""My head is in Manchester United and the rumours about other clubs are not true," added Nani. "I am at the best club in the world and it is my desire to stay here. My dream is to secure a place in the first team. I have not shown my best this season because of injuries but I am a professional and I will fight for this club. I do not have any problems with the coach. I will always be grateful to the manager for this opportunity and I am still learning. I will never reject the challenge to be a star for this team.""

Unread 28-04-2009, 04:58 AM
borsuk

maureen does like players like nani that he can use to change the game around if things aren't working (quaresma and adriano, for example).

i think it's just lazy journalism though - maureen's portuguese and bought quaresma - fail - so he must be interested in another portuguese winger

as i've said before, nani isn't tactically intelligent enough for united. he won't make it.

Unread 28-04-2009, 07:45 AM
Zorg

From what I've seen of Nani, he seems to have superb skills combined with no brain whatsoever.

Unread 28-04-2009, 07:49 AM
TreeFiddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorg
From what I've seen of Nani, he seems to have superb skills combined with no brain whatsoever.
I think he has a brain. It's just very small as you can tell by his weird little head.

Unread 28-04-2009, 07:55 AM
waynes ear's

i just think he's £#%&!ing shit

i mean city shit!!

Unread 28-04-2009, 09:14 AM
thrills_pills_bellyaches

I'd like to see him given a run at the start of next season having had a decent preseason. If he's still looking shite come January then get rid. Its too late in the season now to be throwing him in and trying to up his confidence

Unread 28-04-2009, 09:25 AM
Coracao

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrills_pills_bellyaches
I'd like to see him given a run at the start of next season having had a decent preseason. If he's still looking shite come January then get rid. Its too late in the season now to be throwing him in and trying to up his confidence
Can't see the run of games coming. I think Fergie has already made his mind up on this one.

Unread 28-04-2009, 09:28 AM
thrills_pills_bellyaches

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coracao
Can't see the run of games coming. I think Fergie has already made his mind up on this one.
Well if he has then you couldn't really grumble at that given the chances he has had to date and seeing how Anderson has grabbed his. Still, can't help but feel that he isn't getting enough attention from the coaching staff, he can go passed people with ease but his decision making is shocking and he often holds on to the ball for far too long. Things i'm sure could be coached out of him. Or maybe they should just put their energies into Tosic

Unread 28-04-2009, 09:34 AM
BarryX

I think Nani has too much, way too much, untapped potential to let him go so soon. He has never been given a long enough run in the team to really proove himself and cement his place - either with us or in the transfer market.

Best crossed of the ball at the club IMHO. Has a fantastic shot on him. Very skillful player. Needs some discipline and time - both given to another young Portuguese import not so long ago (and looked what happened there).

In Nani we trust

Unread 28-04-2009, 09:38 AM
Coracao

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teville
I think Nani has too much, way too much, untapped potential to let him go so soon. He has never been given a long enough run in the team to really proove himself and cement his place - either with us or in the transfer market.

Best crossed of the ball at the club IMHO. Has a fantastic shot on him. Very skillful player. Needs some discipline and time - both given to another young Portuguese import not so long ago (and looked what happened there).

In Nani we trust
Any comparisons with Ronaldo really need to be stopped.

I think it is often tactical why he doesn't play, as well as his poor performances. You have to think that Tosic will be given an opportunity to stake his claim next season. Not sure where that leaves Nani, who rarely gets a game even without Tosic.

Unread 28-04-2009, 09:44 AM
dodger

Wasn't it only a few weeks ago when some on here were demanding Nani's presence in the first team? Any comment from you?

Unread 28-04-2009, 09:49 AM
marlo

i love the way people think tosic will just show himself as the next ryan giggs.
from what ive seen he is downing mark II.

nani had a brilliant first season and even in his limited appearances this season he has 6 goals and a few assists.

saf messed up alot with his consistent chopping and changing this season. its been almost unheard of and its just well and good he has got away with it.

since when has it been ok to just chop and change a team every single game?

nani deserves a better season and i dont think tosic will be half the player nani is.

Unread 28-04-2009, 09:51 AM
dodger

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlo
i love the way people think tosic will just show himself as the next ryan giggs.
from what ive seen he is downing mark II.

nani had a brilliant first season and even in his limited appearances this season he has 6 goals and a few assists.

saf messed up alot with his consistent chopping and changing this season. its been almost unheard of and its just well and good he has got away with it.

since when has it been ok to just chop and change a team every single game?

nani deserves a better season and i dont think tosic will be half the player nani is.

Since we were on track for a hat trick of titles and in the semis of the european cup I reckon.
You're right though, Nani has been what we've been missing all season. We're £#%&!ed without him.

Unread 28-04-2009, 09:52 AM
marlo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger
Since we were on track for a hat trick of titles and in the semis of the european cup I reckon.
You're right though, Nani has been what we've been missing all season. We're £#%&!ed without him.
is that what i said? and where have i said it?

thanks.

dont 'dodge' the question now.

Unread 28-04-2009, 09:54 AM
TreeFiddy

David Attenbrough has just logged in for one of nature's great events.

"Watch as the great white shark sets the bait for a breakfast feast. It won't be long now before great swarms of fish arrive as food for this hungry young predator."

Unread 28-04-2009, 09:55 AM
BarryX

I blame Ryan Giggs, personally

Cheeky old bugger has the nerve to play too good and hold off Fergie's master 'Nani as the replacement' until next season at least. Nani's still only 22 anyway FFS. He's still a toddler in terms of his pro career. Can't believe people would want him out without a proper crack at the left wing whip...
Closed Thread