United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 17-07-2016, 10:00 PM
Sparky***

Default Ronaldo (il fenomeno)

Worth reminding yourself sometimes just how good this ridiculous bastard was. Combine Messi and C.Ronaldo into one player = Ronaldo.

Unread 17-07-2016, 10:04 PM
Grimson

Ridiculous talent. Just a shame he didn't have a different attitude to food, sex, and alcohol.

Imagine if he'd had Ronnie's professionalism in regards to taking care of his body.

Unread 17-07-2016, 10:06 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimson
Ridiculous talent. Just a shame he didn't have a different attitude to food, sex, and alcohol.

Imagine if he'd had Ronnie's professionalism in regards to taking care of his body.
yeah, he's still the benchmark for me. That 1996/7 season with Barcelona.

Unread 17-07-2016, 10:07 PM
Grimson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
yeah, he's still the benchmark for me. That 1996/7 season with Barcelona.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDCjsxrGy5U
I watch that video a couple of times a month. It's just

Unread 17-07-2016, 10:10 PM
Billy Redface

Maybe my favourite non-united player ever. Just a great player to watch. Just raw, full of pace, power and footy fun!

Great player!

Unread 17-07-2016, 10:25 PM
Buck

This guy has one of the biggest "what if" questions about his talent than of any player and still finished as a legend.

Up there as one of my favourite ever players

Unread 17-07-2016, 10:26 PM
dunk

Reckon he's still the best striker in Brazil.

Utterly £#%&!ing awesome. Better at Madrid when out of shape and at about 70% due to his knees, looking like he was on roller skates, than 98.9% of strikers.

All the £#%&!ing shit@#%&!s in football, and we were robbed of two years of this £#%&!ing awesome bastard

Unread 17-07-2016, 10:29 PM
andyroo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimson

It wasn't really food, sex or alcohol that did for him though was it, more that he was cut down by actual injuries during his best years. If his career had been less interrupted he might not have taken so keenly to the, er, distractions. Hard to say.

Jesus he was good though.

Unread 17-07-2016, 10:34 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
Reckon he's still the best striker in Brazil.

Utterly £#%&!ing awesome. Better at Madrid when out of shape and at about 70% due to his knees, looking like he was on roller skates, than 98.9% of strikers.

All the £#%&!ing shit@#%&!s in football, and we were robbed of two years of this £#%&!ing awesome bastard
At the time Ronaldo was bossing it for Madrid, the list of strikers in world football looked like this:

Ronaldo
Van Nistelrooy
Thierry Henry
Patrick Kluivert
Andrei Shevchenko
Raul
Hernan Crespo

Now look at the £#%&!ing state of it...who have we got?

Unread 17-07-2016, 10:35 PM
My Name is Keith

Won't ever ever forget this:

Basically went into the barbers and asked for a 'dumb and dumber'. A moment for me when I first realised that some footballers simply have no boundaries. A '£#%&! you' haircut.

Would have repped him/liked his hair at the time if he'd been on a social media platform that would have allowed it.

Unread 17-07-2016, 10:37 PM
dunk

Quote:
At the time Ronaldo was bossing it for Madrid, the list of strikers in world football looked like this:

Ronaldo
Van Nistelrooy
Thierry Henry
Patrick Kluivert
Andrei Shevchenko
Raul
Hernan Crespo

£#%&! all mate. Seems like being an actual centre forward has become so out of fashion. I blame £#%&!ing Spain.

Unread 17-07-2016, 10:37 PM
Sapien

Quote:

Ronaldo
Van Nistelrooy
Thierry Henry
Patrick Kluivert
Andrei Shevchenko
Raul
Hernan Crespo

Unread 17-07-2016, 10:38 PM
Ashley's Grime

Never seen a better finisher in one on ones - even better than Marco Van Welbeck.

Unread 17-07-2016, 10:39 PM
irk

Won surpisingly little at club level too.

Unread 17-07-2016, 10:45 PM
Buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by irk
Won surpisingly little at club level too.
Roberto Baggio is my favourite non-United player and he too won very little club honours. At least Ronaldo has a World Cup medal. Was a sad moment when Baggio missed his penalty

Unread 17-07-2016, 10:47 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyroo
It wasn't really food, sex or alcohol that did for him though was it, more that he was cut down by actual injuries during his best years. If his career had been less interrupted he might not have taken so keenly to the, er, distractions. Hard to say.

Jesus he was good though.
Also a very strong possibility of being mismanaged physically. You look at how quickly he went from a scrawny gangly kid to a beast and rumours of the conditioning schedule and stuff he may have been taking, then the possible damage it did to his knees. Certainly in the "fat Ronaldo" days which was always cruel, he was pumped full of all sorts to assist with pain etc.

Doesn't get anywhere near enough credit for the amount of times he came back when many others would have packed it in. Remember when he did that last cruciate at Milan at about 32 and it simply had to be the end of him. Returned to tear up Brazilian football for a couple of years.

Apparently a top lad too

Unread 17-07-2016, 10:56 PM
Grimson

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyroo
It wasn't really food, sex or alcohol that did for him though was it, more that he was cut down by actual injuries during his best years.
Injuries (soft tissue injuries at least) and how players take care of themselves are often strongly related.

Unread 17-07-2016, 11:16 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:

Ronaldo
Van Nistelrooy
Thierry Henry
Patrick Kluivert
Andrei Shevchenko
Raul
Hernan Crespo
Batistuta still around then, too.

Unread 17-07-2016, 11:23 PM
Gypsum Fantastic

Met him once in Cannes. Big unit. Top red.

Unread 18-07-2016, 12:17 AM
Stickman

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Name is Keith
Won't ever ever forget this:

Basically went into the barbers and asked for a 'dumb and dumber'. A moment for me when I first realised that some footballers simply have no boundaries. A '£#%&! you' haircut.

Would have repped him/liked his hair at the time if he'd been on a social media platform that would have allowed it.
Didn't he say at the time it was so his young son could differentiate between him and Carlos when watching that tournament on the tv?
Closed Thread