United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 21-02-2010, 01:45 PM
Liu Jian

Default Michael Carrick - time to let him go?

I've been thinking this for a while, and his performance yesterday brought it to the front of my mind.

Too often he shirks responsibility imo, and he seems to lack the character of a United player. He's never been a strong tackler, but to see him jumping out of challenges like yesterday and against City is unforgiveable imo.

His passing's been really poor at times in the past 8-9 months. If he cant do his usual passing game, what else is there? I'm not saying we should get rid regardless of the situation in the Summer, and I'm not sure which passing midfielders will be within United's budget in the Summer, but perhaps it's at least worth a look at a replacement. At this point I would rather we kept hold of Anderson, on the basis of unfulfilled potential and the fact he's only 21.

I wouldn't be too bothered if Fergie decided to get sell Carrick in the Summer. He's given us four years of generally good service, but it might be time for us to move on, sign someone who has some bottle and can play in a 4-4-2 with Fletcher against top sides, and not just mediocre teams.

Unread 21-02-2010, 01:47 PM
carlosartorial

Default Re: Michael Carrick - time to let him go?

Don't think he should be sold, but agree he was terrible yesterday.

Unread 21-02-2010, 01:48 PM
borsuk

he's been very good to excellent for the majority of his time with us and has come back into form after a shaky start to the season but he's no scholes in terms of creativity. good player in a three, not really able to carry the creative burden in a two.

on the subject of sitting/defensive midfielders, we're linked to veloso again this morning in one of the papers. be a good buy, that, loads of potential.

Unread 21-02-2010, 01:48 PM
rebelcountyred

not my favorite player, not denying he has put in some very good performance or that he is a good footballer, however he goes missing too often for my liking, wouldn't be arsed if he went.

Unread 21-02-2010, 01:52 PM
Coracao

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liu Jian
I've been thinking this for a while, and his performance yesterday brought it to the front of my mind.

Too often he shirks responsibility imo, and he seems to lack the character of a United player. He's never been a strong tackler, but to see him jumping out of challenges like yesterday and against City is unforgiveable imo.

His passing's been really poor at times in the past 8-9 months. If he cant do his usual passing game, what else is there? I'm not saying we should get rid regardless of the situation in the Summer, and I'm not sure which passing midfielders will be within United's budget in the Summer, but perhaps it's at least worth a look at a replacement. At this point I would rather we kept hold of Anderson, on the basis of unfulfilled potential and the fact he's only 21.

I wouldn't be too bothered if Fergie decided to get sell Carrick in the Summer. He's given us four years of generally good service, but it might be time for us to move on, sign someone who has some bottle and can play in a 4-4-2 with Fletcher against top sides, and not just mediocre teams.
:shakehead:

So, we get rid of Carrick who is our second best central midfielder and keep hold of Anderson on the off chance that lard arse actually starts performing to anywhere near an acceptable standard on a consistent basis?

No thanks. The more likely scenario is that we get rid of Anderson and bring in a midfielder who poses an attacking threat to play in front of Fletcher and Carrick.

Unread 21-02-2010, 01:55 PM
Liu Jian

Quote:
Originally Posted by borsuk
he's been very good to excellent for the majority of his time with us and has come back into form after a shaky start to the season but he's no scholes in terms of creativity. good player in a three, not really able to carry the creative burden in a two.

on the subject of sitting/defensive midfielders, we're linked to veloso again this morning in one of the papers. be a good buy, that, loads of potential.
Thats the thing, how often does Carrick take a game by the scruff of the neck? He lacks bottle and the ability to impose him game against players up for a fight imo.

As you say, he's too much of a burden on Fletcher to play in a 4-4-2 with him. Doesn't want to get his boots dirty or create/score often enough, whatever his problem is, I think we should get rid or make him a squad player. The percentage of poor performances is going up markedly after the peaks of 07/08 and the first half of 08/09.

I thought Veloso has gone a bit shit? I remember S/Side or someone else mentioning him a few months back, and the fact that Bolton were after him.

Unread 21-02-2010, 01:56 PM
red in cumbria

Do you think he would be saying that if Anderson was English and Carrick(inho) from some exotic foreign land??

Mmm, tough one

Unread 21-02-2010, 02:03 PM
borsuk

Quote:
Thats the thing, how often does Carrick take a game by the scruff of the neck? He lacks bottle and the ability to impose him game against players up for a fight imo.

As you say, he's too much of a burden on Fletcher to play in a 4-4-2 with him. Doesn't want to get his boots dirty or create/score often enough, whatever his problem is, I think we should get rid or make him a squad player. The percentage of poor performances is going up markedly after the peaks of 07/08 and the first half of 08/09.

I thought Veloso has gone a bit shit? I remember S/Side or someone else mentioning him a few months back, and the fact that Bolton were after him.
carrick's a good player, i like him a lot. i certainly wouldn't get rid. but i don't think he's able to create or to run a game like scholes (who can?) and that's what we're crying out for.

anderson must be on borrowed time now. some decision will have to be made on him and nani at the end of the season, surely. hopefully nani can maintain the form he showed earlier in the month and really make a position his own.

don't know if veloso's form has slumped or not, i don't follow the portuguese league that closely. i rate both him and moutinho from what i've seen over the past couple of season, though, both got great potential imo.

Unread 21-02-2010, 02:04 PM
Liu Jian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coracao
:shakehead:

So, we get rid of Carrick who is our second best central midfielder and keep hold of Anderson on the off chance that lard arse actually starts performing to anywhere near an acceptable standard on a consistent basis?

No thanks. The more likely scenario is that we get rid of Anderson and bring in a midfielder who poses an attacking threat to play in front of Fletcher and Carrick.
He's only our second-best midfielder because our midfield is so poor. We could easily get rid of both, but we've seen the best of Carrick, and it's doubtful whether we'll see it again on a consistent basis. Mentally, it's like something is missing. Plus at least Anderson isn't afraid of mixing it when a game gets physical...

red in cumbria, you're a dick. It's got nothing to do with nationality.

Btw, apparently Moutinho was shocking against Everton last week, so I guess he has something in common with carrick.

Unread 21-02-2010, 02:06 PM
Charlestown Rouge

Quote:
He's only our second-best midfielder because our midfield is so poor. We could easily get rid of both, but we've seen the best of Carrick, and it's doubtful whether we'll see it again on a consistent basis. Mentally, it's like something is missing. Plus at least Anderson isn't afraid of mixing it when a game gets physical...

red in cumbria, you're a dick. It's got nothing to do with nationality.

Btw, apparently Moutinho was shocking against Everton last week, so I guess he has something in common with carrick.
Yes, he has one or two off days.

Try Nickleodeon.

Unread 21-02-2010, 02:08 PM
Liu Jian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlestown Rouge
Yes, he has one or two off days.

Try Nickleodeon.

Unread 21-02-2010, 02:09 PM
Coracao

Quote:
Tell me who is going to replace him.

Anderson mixes it? Not quite the requisite of being a United player. He is inferior to Carrick in all aspects of his game other than pace.

Unread 21-02-2010, 02:15 PM
Liu Jian

Quote:
Tell me who is going to replace him.

Anderson mixes it? Not quite the requisite of being a United player. He is inferior to Carrick in all aspects of his game other than pace.
His positional sense is dodgy, but I would say his tackling is better. Regardless, this isn't an Anderson v Carrick thread.

Should we stick with Carrick simply because he is better than Anderson, Gibson, and Scholes is getting old? I think we should be scouring the market to overhaul our midfield - new central midfielder to play with Fletcher, and a new left-winger. And a bit less rotation.

Steven Defour is one who's looked quality in Europe, albeit against lesser opposition.

Unread 21-02-2010, 02:20 PM
Coracao

Quote:
His positional sense is dodgy, but I would say his tackling is better. Regardless, this isn't an Anderson v Carrick thread.

Should we stick with Carrick simply because he is better than Anderson, Gibson, and Scholes is getting old? I think we should be scouring the market to overhaul our midfield - new central midfielder to play with Fletcher, and a new left-winger. And a bit less rotation.

Steven Defour is one who's looked quality in Europe, albeit against lesser opposition.
It'd make sense to actually keep your better players and offload the inferior ones. I.E. the opposite to what you originally suggested.

Unread 21-02-2010, 02:22 PM
Charlestown Rouge

Quote:

Never £#%&!ing heard of him - are you that leg SAF @#%&! who knows all the teams in the Macedonian 3rd division and has a full set of Airfix models?

Unread 21-02-2010, 02:23 PM
Pete's Shoes

I'm a big Carrick fan and I don't think it's a coincidence that since he signed we've won 3 out of three titles and reached 2 Champions league finals. He hasn't been at his best this season but has got a lot better recently. To sell him would be a bad move IMO.

Unread 21-02-2010, 02:25 PM
Liu Jian

Quote:
It'd make sense to actually keep your better players and offload the inferior ones. I.E. the opposite to what you originally suggested.
So should we sell Evans and keep Vidic then?

Unread 21-02-2010, 02:31 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
So should we sell Evans and keep Vidic then?
Apart from his last few games, Evans has been better than Vidic this season, so...........

Oh and Charles, he *isn't* Leg Saf, that has been fairly well established. Still writing %@#$&!s here, however

Unread 21-02-2010, 02:33 PM
Liu Jian

Quote:
Originally Posted by red in cumbria
Apart from his last few games, Evans has been better than Vidic this season, so...........

Oh and Charles, he *isn't* Leg Saf, that has been fairly well established. Still writing %@#$&!s here, however
Is he a better player than Vidic overall?

Unread 21-02-2010, 02:36 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Is he a better player than Vidic overall?
If he isn't already, he will be very soon

Certainly, despite his recent blip, he has realised his "potential" almost infinitely better than Anderson
Closed Thread