United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 06-08-2016, 11:22 PM
Buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by saffers
Obvs meant man marking, dont evade the main point. Lvgs united was destroyed on set pieces time and time again.
LvG's strategy was to rely on Fellaini and Smalling standing in the middle to clear the danger. That's fine except when the opposition have big units and their markers were the midgets e.g. Rafael on Drogba.

On the attacking side of set-pieces, Smalling needs to work on making the most of headers. He missed too many decent chances. Vidic was good for a decent number of goals and Evra improved a lot so no reason why Smalling shouldn't.

Unread 06-08-2016, 11:23 PM
Bunker Buster

Quote:
You deserve a steel chair smashed through your skull for that post and that signature

good nite
Stay classy pal...

Or send time, date and meet point ?

Unread 06-08-2016, 11:29 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
How you holdin up after CODs threat to kill you?
Barricading my doors as we speak pal.

Unread 06-08-2016, 11:40 PM
Venceremos

LvG is the two year bad dream.

And like most dreams he fading pretty quick... (for us fans) for the players it might be different like Mourinho says here...

I look forward to 30' minute substituions for any player who dares play the LvG way kekeke.

Unread 06-08-2016, 11:56 PM
BobJones

He could solve a lot of his problems by £#%&!ing Rooney off.

Unread 07-08-2016, 12:28 AM
ZiggyStardust

Everyone seems to be completely misreading what Jose is saying

He's talking about zonal marking in general play
LvG had all our players man marking across the pitch

This was never more evident than in the Liverpool Europa league games when our right back was man marking Coutinho and he was dragging him from the right wing to the other side of the pitch causing Rashford to become the right back
Mentalist stuff

Unread 07-08-2016, 12:59 AM
believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
Barricading my doors as we speak pal.

Unread 07-08-2016, 01:48 AM
Bubbles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck
He was prone often to what Jose described. I understand since he's not a natural defender and he was trying to carry out Van Gaal's instructions of winning the ball high. Hopefully with Bailly we have someone with the physical qualities needed at the back plus he's looked assured on the ball.

Blind would make a fantastic midfielder. After Zlatan he has the best technique and his passing range and weight of passes is superb. In addition he's got the intelligence to run the game. When our midfield last season was creating £#%&! all of note it was frustrating to see Blind wasted at the back.
Seriously doubt that blind got the best technique after Z. pretty slow on the foot

Unread 07-08-2016, 03:58 AM
Ethers

Bit worrying that he said our strikers aren't suitable for a counter attacking style.

Unread 07-08-2016, 04:06 AM
waynes ear's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
I can see some hysteria in the first 5 games or so.
Hi saffers

Unread 07-08-2016, 07:18 AM
Mr_Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker Buster
Zonal is a disaster in England, especially..united...

Worried a bit here..
For once I agree with you Bunks

Unread 07-08-2016, 07:36 AM
Clarkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethers
Bit worrying that he said our strikers aren't suitable for a counter attacking style.
They aren't...

But, Martial, Big Mick and Rashford are

Unread 07-08-2016, 07:58 AM
MUFC One Love

Quote:
Me too. I can only presume he will drop one of them when he wants to play that style. Tbf most games and every game at O.T we won't be playing on the counter. I don't think he really sees them two playing together often anyway. Rashford will get plenty of games.

Unread 07-08-2016, 08:20 AM
Pop

Thrown a few digs at Ronaldo too. Criticising his running up and down the touchline at euro 2016.

Ronaldo's basically told him to £#%&! off (via 'social media' of course).

Seems to be a right stroppy @#%&! since he landed the job

Unread 07-08-2016, 08:27 AM
Mr_Ed

He's losing it already. Hinting he needs time, systems changing. Think he's skating on thin ice doing a Moyes and lowering expectations.

Mid table at best.

Unread 07-08-2016, 08:28 AM
dragflick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Ed
He's losing it already. Hinting he needs time, systems changing. Think he's skating on thin ice doing a Moyes and lowering expectations.

Mid table at best.

Not sure if.....

Unread 07-08-2016, 09:26 AM
Switching Off

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe

Unread 07-08-2016, 09:33 AM
Coracao

Quote:
Surely he was stating the obvious ?

Unread 07-08-2016, 09:35 AM
92ToBury

Quote:
The players were doing what they were told. Which bit of that are you struggling with?

Unread 07-08-2016, 09:38 AM
Lok

Quote:
Blind would make a fantastic midfielder. After Zlatan he has the best technique and his passing range and weight of passes is superb. In addition he's got the intelligence to run the game. When our midfield last season was creating £#%&! all of note it was frustrating to see Blind wasted at the back.
We tried him in midfield, several times. It didn't work because despite everyone praising his technique, he's simply not good enough to play there. He lacked the urgency to move the ball forward and the result was a shit load of backwards passes that slowed down our already frustratingly slow play.

We also tried him at full back and that failed. He finally ended up at centre back where his calmness on the ball seemed a benefit but he gets caught out of position far too easily and doesn't have the pace to recover.

As brilliant as half the idiots on here think he is, he doesn't really offer the team much. He's versatile so can be used as a squad player but that's about it. If he's going to be starting at centre back I would be a bit worried. I'd imagine Smalling and Bailly are first choice. If Jones can stay fit he'd be next in line.
Closed Thread