United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 17-02-2009, 12:31 PM
Gypsum Fantastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger
Perhaps this is an obvious point but these are pretty average sides.
I know we didn't used to have a big four as clear as we do now but I wonder how much better these sides would have been if picked 20-30 years ago. And if they were, are we really seeing the better standard of football that we're told we are.
Interesting question Dodge. Can't have the same big four in 88 as one lot were mowing their way around the 2nd dvision. I've used Everton instead

From 88-90ish

Shilton (Derby)

Parker (QPR)
Walker (Forest)
Gough/Mountfield/Keown (Spurs/Villa/Villa)
Pearce (Forest)

Waddle (Spurs)
Gascoigne (Newc)
Platt (Villa)
Nevin (Chelsea got promted 88/89) - Struggling a bit LW

Lineker (Spurs)
Le Tissier (S'ton)

Unread 17-02-2009, 12:39 PM
Tumescent Throb

Jaaskelainen
Neville
Laursen
Upson
Figueroa
Valencia
Barry
Arteta
Young
Robinho
Saha

Unread 17-02-2009, 12:47 PM
The Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsum Fantastic
Nevin (Chelsea got promted 88/89) - Struggling a bit LW
John Barnes surely?

At the end of 80s/early 90's wasn't it the "Big 6"? United, City, Liverpool, Everton, Arsenal and Tottenham? I know they didn't always finish in the top six positions, but they were generally considered the biggest & richest clubs in the land? I'm pretty sure it was those six that originally came up with the idea of breaking away from the Football League.

Unread 17-02-2009, 01:14 PM
Gypsum Fantastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Watcher
John Barnes surely?

At the end of 80s/early 90's wasn't it the "Big 6"? United, City, Liverpool, Everton, Arsenal and Tottenham? I know they didn't always finish in the top six positions, but they were generally considered the biggest & richest clubs in the land? I'm pretty sure it was those six that originally came up with the idea of breaking away from the Football League.
Pick your top 11 from players with the exception of the so called big 4.

Barnes was at liverpool in 88

Unread 17-02-2009, 01:17 PM
The Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsum Fantastic
Pick your top 11 from players with the exception of the so called big 4.

Barnes was at liverpool in 88
Closed Thread