United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 15-05-2008, 03:00 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ether
Not that I was on either of those two trips, but the times I've seen something like that with United in Europe has been a reaction to over-zealous policing. And even then it hasn't extended to 30 fans kicking the shit out of a copper on the floor.

Yesterday the police took a soft approach all day, letting Rangers doing pretty much as they wanted. £#%&! me, last time I watched a game in town on the big screen we weren't even allowed alcohol. Yet the whole thing seemed to be sponsored by Carlsberg yesterday. These lot were walking around with 2 cases of tins under their arms from 6 in the morning. So they can hardly use the policing as an excuse for it all kicking off.
The first things that sprang to my mind was this: If I were in a packed town centre watching a game on the big screen and it broke, what would my first reaction be? Personally, i'd have £#%&!ed off pronto to find a pub or bar with the game on. I wouldn't have stood around throwing bottles at the screen or fighting with other united supporters.

But then, that's just me I suppose.

Unread 15-05-2008, 03:00 PM
thatsfuctit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Al
And here's that dog, with 2 colleagues, off-duty

funny

Unread 15-05-2008, 03:06 PM
My Name is Keith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ether
Not that I was on either of those two trips, but the times I've seen something like that with United in Europe has been a reaction to over-zealous policing. And even then it hasn't extended to 30 fans kicking the shit out of a copper on the floor.

Yesterday the police took a soft approach all day, letting Rangers doing pretty much as they wanted. £#%&! me, last time I watched a game in town on the big screen we weren't even allowed alcohol. Yet the whole thing seemed to be sponsored by Carlsberg yesterday. These lot were walking around with 2 cases of tins under their arms from 6 in the morning. So they can hardly use the policing as an excuse for it all kicking off.
I don't disagree with any of that but my point is that the difference between what Rangers did last night and what United have done in the relatively recent past isn't as great as some people would like to think.

I think judgements are being clouded because Rangers are deeply dislikeable on every level.

Unread 15-05-2008, 03:20 PM
Stretters

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Name is Keith
I don't disagree with any of that but my point is that the difference between what Rangers did last night and what United have done in the relatively recent past isn't as great as some people would like to think.

I think judgements are being clouded because Rangers are deeply dislikeable on every level.

All United fans are angels though

Unread 15-05-2008, 04:08 PM
beersexchipsgravy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky6899
The first things that sprang to my mind was this: If I were in a packed town centre watching a game on the big screen and it broke, what would my first reaction be? Personally, i'd have £#%&!ed off pronto to find a pub or bar with the game on. I wouldn't have stood around throwing bottles at the screen or fighting with other united supporters.

But then, that's just me I suppose.

If my telly isn't workin i chuck bottles at it. Confirmed.

Unread 15-05-2008, 04:13 PM
My Name is Keith

Daft isn't it?

Only last Sunday, many of the bars in Wigan town centre showing the game were shut because and I quote, 'United fans threw beer all over the screens when the picture went off during the thunderstorm'

'£#%&!ing screens gone off hasn't it?'

'I know, lets chuck a couple of pints over it, that'll make it work'

No bars were open in the centre after the match because United fans had 'trashed' them.

YCNMIU

Unread 15-05-2008, 06:10 PM
Part 36 Offer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloppy
Is that bedders dog?

@#%&!, beat me to it.

Unread 15-05-2008, 06:16 PM
Terry Silver

Quote:
Daft isn't it?

Only last Sunday, many of the bars in Wigan town centre showing the game were shut because and I quote, 'United fans threw beer all over the screens when the picture went off during the thunderstorm'

'£#%&!ing screens gone off hasn't it?'

'I know, lets chuck a couple of pints over it, that'll make it work'

No bars were open in the centre after the match because United fans had 'trashed' them.

YCNMIU

As I said before, nobody is saying that United fans are angels.

Merely pointing out that the people on here who were pratically £#%&! anything in a Rangers shirt yesterday, on the basis that they were all here for a nice day out and a few beers, was a little hasty in their assessment of aforementioned Rangers fans.

It's not that hard to understand surely. Do we need to carry this debate on any more?

Imho this post should have been the end of it.

http://www.utdforum.com/forum/showpo...7&postcount=42

Unread 15-05-2008, 06:35 PM
elhombre

Quote:
Originally Posted by n48
What a carnival of football eh ScholesScoresGoals?

Scottish football fans arent all great. Even their national support isnt all it;s cracked up to be.

Tartan Army my arse.

i've not read the replies in this thread, but i will say that i the 10-15 yrs i've been watching football home and away, i've never seen such a bunch of £#%&!ing scum bags as rangers fans...

shitting, pissing, vommiting all over the place...

i had the pleasure of having to race into town to pick up my missus, as she was caught up in the middle of the "carnival atmosphere", and even i was a little taken aback by the behaviour of the rangers fans - bottles being thrown in all directions, taxis and cars being booted as they drove past [this was on oldham rd after the game had kicked off] and lads kicking £#%&! out of lads supporting the same side - a snide dig is always expected when boys are on the pop, but i saw one lad get laid out and another two then kick and punch him on the deck... i also saw buses getting smashed up, phone boxes getting wrecked on the way down from Newton Heath - just indiscrimnate mayhem, and the game hadn't even ended yet.

i may be getting soft, but it was £#%&!ing bedlam....

utter £#%&!ing animals... i glad they got beat.

Unread 15-05-2008, 06:37 PM
elhombre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Al
And here's that dog, with 2 colleagues, off-duty

very, very, very clever...

Unread 15-05-2008, 06:43 PM
Part 36 Offer

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by elhombre
i've not read the replies in this thread, but i will say that i the 10-15 yrs i've been watching football home and away, i've never seen such a bunch of £#%&!ing scum bags as rangers fans...

shitting, pissing, vommiting all over the place...

i had the pleasure of having to race into town to pick up my missus, as she was caught up in the middle of the "carnival atmosphere", and even i was a little taken aback by the behaviour of the rangers fans - bottles being thrown in all directions, taxis and cars being booted as they drove past [this was on oldham rd after the game had kicked off] and lads kicking £#%&! out of lads supporting the same side - a snide dig is always expected when boys are on the pop, but i saw one lad get laid out and another two then kick and punch him on the deck... i also saw buses getting smashed up, phone boxes getting wrecked on the way down from Newton Heath - just indiscrimnate mayhem, and the game hadn't even ended yet.

i may be getting soft, but it was £#%&!ing bedlam....

utter £#%&!ing animals... i glad they got beat.
eye witness account

Unread 15-05-2008, 07:32 PM
Tumescent Throb

sorry; don't understand the comparison being made between what a large number of the Rangers fans did last night and what United have got up to on Euro aways, be it recent or be it ancient history

when have United fans ever had running battles with police in a neutral city after arriving there to enjoy the day and watch the match on the tele?

Unread 15-05-2008, 07:35 PM
elhombre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb
sorry; don't understand the comparison being made between what a large number of the Rangers fans did last night and what United have got up to on Euro aways, be it recent or be it ancient history

when have United fans ever had running battles with police in a neutral city after arriving there to enjoy the day and watch the match on the tele?

united have had some serious idiots in their ranks over the years, but last night was £#%&!ing unbelievable.... the footage on Sky now speaks for itself...

Unread 15-05-2008, 08:17 PM
My Name is Keith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb

Not sure why you can't understand the comparison. In fact, its bizarre that you can't. The comparison is simple. Both involve a set of supporters travelling in numbers to watch a football match in another city.

You mention 'neutral city' and match on the tele? Are these things significant in your comparison or can I ignore them?

The facts are that United have had running battles with the police in Montpellier, Porto and Monaco to name a few I've witnessed in recent years. Never been to an Italian away but we've had the same thing over there.

Over zealous policing - of course. Fans pissed up - yup. A situation created out of nothing - indeed.

I'm not seeking to excuse Rangers fans - far from it.

Just to remind people of things closer to home.

Unread 15-05-2008, 08:34 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Not sure why you can't understand the comparison. In fact, its bizarre that you can't. The comparison is simple. Both involve a set of supporters travelling in numbers to watch a football match in another city.

You mention 'neutral city' and match on the tele? Are these things significant in your comparison or can I ignore them?

The facts are that United have had running battles with the police in Montpellier, Porto and Monaco to name a few I've witnessed in recent years. Never been to an Italian away but we've had the same thing over there.

Over zealous policing - of course. Fans pissed up - yup. A situation created out of nothing - indeed.

I'm not seeking to excuse Rangers fans - far from it.

Just to remind people of things closer to home.
United away in Europe has/has had a subtext of rivalry and is/was generally instigated by antagonism between travelling support and rival locals - or more particularly, the local police's determination to protect the locals from the invaders

i know the point you are getting at and you're quite correct, of course you are

however, in the context of yesterday there is no genuine comparison to be made

i have not seen any footage or even a single claim of any antagonism from the St Petersburg fans. this undoubtedly demonstrates that there was indeed very very little, and that the Rangers fans can't even claim that the police frustrated them in their attempts to get at the opposition and so set themselves up nicely as part of the game

no. what happened last night was far more akin to the type of demonstrations I myself have been present at, namely political demonstrations

except of course last night's version involved nothing more than drunken scum, with no real motive other than to get out some of their thinly veiled self-loathing by kicking a few hopelessly out-numbered authority figures with coward's hits

muddled i know, but basically I don't agree with you

pick the bones out of that for me and I'll gladly attempt further discussion!

Unread 15-05-2008, 08:43 PM
42ndstreet irregular

apologies is already been posted, the £#%&!ers think they have scored here

[youtube]lSMVxho0XKQ[/youtube]

hope to God there is a video when they realise it's a wum.

Unread 15-05-2008, 08:59 PM
Zorg

In this kind of situation there is a need for collective responsibility. Tesco, despite being warned not to, shoved crates of beer outside their Market Street store at 8am yesterday, on special offer. Well thanks for helping us out there Tesco: fans wandering around pissed by 9am was just what the city needed wasn't it.

Why were there no screens in Glasgow? Why was the final held in such a small stadium? If OT had been used that would have meant tens of thousands more fans inside the stadium and off the streets. So the authorities didn't work together enough if you ask me.

At the same time, people don't have to get so drunk they don't know what they're doing, throw bottles at the screen when it's not working, piss and chuck shit everywhere. Would the Russians have done that if their screen had conked out? Er no.

Unread 15-05-2008, 09:10 PM
Dueling Banjos

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrills_pills_bellyaches
Fackin hell...he may need a tet@&%!
The dog?

Unread 15-05-2008, 10:27 PM
My Name is Keith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dueling Banjos
The dog?
Closed Thread