Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 10-06-2011, 06:56 AM
rebelcountyred

Thumbs up Re: (summer) silly season transfer %@#$&!s thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcred
I hope he is better than Mick Martin.
mick martin was a right old trooper for ireland.

Unread 10-06-2011, 07:01 AM
bcred

Default Re: (summer) silly season transfer %@#$&!s thread

I never rated him,funny though when his name popped up in my mind I read wikipedia,apparently the geordies loved him. That was a few years later mind.

Unread 10-06-2011, 07:57 AM
Tiberian

If Nani goes and Ashley Young comes in as a direct replacement Utd will be losing out.

Apart from a poorish 6 weeks at the end of the season he was excellent for the best part of 18 months, the best wide player in the league by a distance in that period. Why would Utd want to sell him and replace him with an inferior player? Park, Young and Valencia as wide options lacks real creativity and magic, they all have their strengths, and Young is a good player, but as a match winning threat Nani is the best of that bunch.

Personally if it was a choice between Valencia and Nani for the right wing then I would go with Nani, just has more options to his attacking game.

Unread 10-06-2011, 08:02 AM
TheNew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberian
If Nani goes and Ashley Young comes in as a direct replacement Utd will be losing out.

Apart from a poorish 6 weeks at the end of the season he was excellent for the best part of 18 months, the best wide player in the league by a distance in that period. Why would Utd want to sell him and replace him with an inferior player? Park, Young and Valencia as wide options lacks real creativity and magic, they all have their strengths, and Young is a good player, but as a match winning threat Nani is the best of that bunch.

Personally if it was a choice between Valencia and Nani for the right wing then I would go with Nani, just has more options to his attacking game.
I think you have a point here. Young is more similar in style to Valencia. Nani has more variety to his game than the both of them. I would be very disappointed if Nanners left.

I have a feeling that Fergie might be feeling that Young is more effective off the front man though. I hope there is room for them all.

Unread 10-06-2011, 08:03 AM
MUFC One Love

Losing Nani would be a blow tbh.

Would be a nice fee received for the Glazers for our 'spending spree' though, wouldn't it?

Unread 10-06-2011, 08:06 AM
carlosartorial

Anderson next.

Should offer him as whale-sized bait for Modders!

Unread 10-06-2011, 08:09 AM
MUFC One Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlosartorial
Anderson next.

Should offer him as whale-sized bait for Modders!
Wouldn't be arsed if Anderson was sold. He really hasn't lived up to his potential, he just seems like he wants to coast and do 'OK' rather than be as good as he could be. Never looks fit enough either.

If we lose Nani though we're going backwards replacing him with Young.

Unread 10-06-2011, 08:12 AM
carlosartorial

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUFC One Love
If we lose Nani though we're going backwards replacing him with Young.
That's debatable imo.

Still anyway, see what happens...

Unread 10-06-2011, 08:21 AM
MUFC One Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlosartorial
That's debatable imo.

Still anyway, see what happens...
I thought Nani was our best attacker in the first half of last season.

Lost his place but I think it was just one of them periods, with lots of big games, where Fergie wanted to keep the team as strong and workman like as possible and get through the season.

We'll see what happens anyway, it's gonna be a long summer.

Unread 10-06-2011, 08:23 AM
THEOS

Blackburn now trying to increase the fee for Jones? Link:

http://www.espn.co.uk/football/sport...ml?CMP=OTC-RSS

Unread 10-06-2011, 08:25 AM
The Return of JC

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNew
I think you have a point here. Young is more similar in style to Valencia. Nani has more variety to his game than the both of them. I would be very disappointed if Nanners left.

I have a feeling that Fergie might be feeling that Young is more effective off the front man though. I hope there is room for them all.
I think Young playing centrally is a more likely scenario than us voluntarily selling one of our best players. First half of the season, Nani was the most important player in the side in terms of a creative spark. I can't see how a dodgy few weeks have taken him from that to surplus to requirements. Just can't see it.

Unread 10-06-2011, 08:27 AM
The Stella Fella

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenwen
why not?

he shoots. he hits the corner flag
Because RA was made to promise - by the source of the info - not to mention him directly (think about it) it hadn't even been mentioned in the press - Jones was talking to Arsenal and then Liverpool - RA mentions Jones's central defensive partner and then 2 or 3 days later - Ferie BOOM.

Reddles could have mentioned any centre half as a clue - anywhere at any club - but he got it spot on - either ITK or a very good guess

Unread 10-06-2011, 08:39 AM
Pop

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEOS

£25m? Why in the name of £#%&! are transfer fees so grossly over inflated for English players. They're not that £#%&!ing good ffs

Unread 10-06-2011, 08:41 AM
borsuk

young is a very good player and he's impressed playing in the middle.

nani at his best is very very effective but he comes with some downsides, particularly in terms of discipline and defensive play. there's plenty of games for all of them, though, and who would be first choice for any given game would depend more on the opposition, the tactics chosen and who is in form than fergie thinking one player is always better than another. valencia is less striking in terms of individual skill one on one but is a much more intelligent player for the team, brings out the best in others and is extremely effective. the problem with valencia imo is that he is so very effective that he becomes a default option - we look for the out ball to him far too often and can become very predictable as a result.

to me with jones and (supposedly) young and de gea it looks like we're adding - apart from youth - some qualities we've been lacking to a degree: particularly energy, pace, aggression and directness. some similar qualities plus a touch of artistry/creativity in midfield and this summer will have gone about as well as we could have hoped.

i'd prefer modric to nasri if there were a choice but either would be excellent additions. buying nasri would also put down a (further) marker as to who is the top dog in england, whose importance shouldn't be underestimated when it comes to competing for players in the future.

Unread 10-06-2011, 08:41 AM
ScholesScoresGoals2

Quote:

Another %@#$&!s story, his buyout clause has been met, no need to pay anymore, deal is done.

Unread 10-06-2011, 08:43 AM
antonin jablonsky

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liver...0252-28853719/

Unread 10-06-2011, 08:44 AM
borsuk

Thumbs up Re: (summer) silly season transfer %@#$&!s thread

Quote:

no worries