United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 24-04-2008, 10:15 PM
Spiffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb
What did you think of the tactics that got us the 7-1 win over Roma?

We could've scored a hell of a lot earlier last night than Carrick managed in the 7-1 game.

For some reason people - negative people - have the impression that the mood of a game is set in the dressing room.

But as true as that often is, a hell of a lot more often it is set by what happens on the pitch. Football is played by humans, after all.
The players play as Fergie tells them or they don't play. Why do clubs change managers and get such differing fortunes? The role of managers is underplayed imho.

Unread 24-04-2008, 10:17 PM
ScarFace

Lightbulb

I dunno which way to look at it, there are good n bad points.

They have an advantage of being able to go through via a score draw, we have an advantage of being at home.

Best way to look at it is, we did'nt lose, so ANY kinda win will do us, non of this shitty " gotta win be x amount "

At the start of the season, if somebody told you, to get into the champions league final, you need to win 1 game by any score at home.....would you of taken it?...Yes.

We dont beat em, we dont deserve it, simple as.

Unread 24-04-2008, 10:18 PM
originalhogg

remember the roma away game last season when we got eat 2-1, outplayed all game, and the return leg was a complete opposite, media would love it htough if we £#%&!ed up.

Unread 24-04-2008, 10:18 PM
Spiffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
I think playing the Away leg 1st is a massive disadvantage, always have done.

You know what is required at their ground, and a game can be won in the first few minutes as a result.

If it was the 2nd leg last Wednesday following a 0-0 at OT in the 1st leg and we got a penalty in the 2nd minute, you know he scores and it;s game over.

Also, away 2nd leg, if it goes to Extra time, you have an extra 30 minutes and only have to score 1/2 as many as your opposition.

It's £#%&!ed up.
If he'd scored we'd have won the game and been able to rest players or take it easier in the return game. I can see where you're coming from though. The away leg is more important than the home leg, except for the scousers.

Unread 24-04-2008, 10:19 PM
Grimson

Quote:
I think playing the Away leg 1st is a massive disadvantage, always have done.

You know what is required at their ground, and a game can be won in the first few minutes as a result.

If it was the 2nd leg last Wednesday following a 0-0 at OT in the 1st leg and we got a penalty in the 2nd minute, you know he scores and it;s game over.

Also, away 2nd leg, if it goes to Extra time, you have an extra 30 minutes and only have to score 1/2 as many as your opposition.

It's £#%&!ed up.
Yet history does not bear this out. Historically there is essentially no advantage either way.

I agree about the advantage in extra time for the visitors, but again this rarely plays out that way.

Unread 24-04-2008, 10:20 PM
Spiffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarFace
I dunno which way to look at it, there are good n bad points.

They have an advantage of being able to go through via a score draw, we have an advantage of being at home.

Best way to look at it is, we did'nt lose, so ANY kinda win will do us, non of this shitty " gotta win be x amount "

At the start of the season, if somebody told you, to get into the champions league final, you need to win 1 game by any score at home.....would you of taken it?...Yes.

We dont beat em, we dont deserve it, simple as.
Touch wood, pretty much a fully fit, squad we'd have snapped their hands off. Please, please, please, please score us a couple of goals Wayne.

Unread 24-04-2008, 10:21 PM
denis lawless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimson
The scenario given was them beating us 1-0.

And I'd address "all they need is a score draw" by saying, "All?!" That should be a tall £#%&!ing order for them.
yeah, i dont think they'll beat us....but i am concerned they can sneak a draw.....

they certainly have the skill in their team to give us a run for our money.....its not beyond them to score and if we dont score more then we're out

if we play our own game we should be ok

but knowing how we give European opponents far too much respect in the past.....its a worry......

Unread 24-04-2008, 10:22 PM
Spiffy

Quote:
Yet history does not bear this out. Historically there is essentially no advantage either way.

I agree about the advantage in extra time for the visitors, but again this rarely plays out that way.
You're tired, need to score a goal and it's an important game. Being at home has it's advantages as well though. That's why statistically there's nothing in it. It's just media spin to hype up viewing figures, sell newspapers and get saddos on message boards.

Unread 24-04-2008, 10:23 PM
Wafty Crank

Quote:

I always thought that away goals didn't count in extra time? Bit of a £#%&!ing con, if they are.

Unread 24-04-2008, 10:26 PM
Grimson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wafty Crank
I always thought that away goals didn't count in extra time? Bit of a £#%&!ing con, if they are.
Not sure. I know they are/were in the UEFA Cup, but maybe not Champions League.

Unread 24-04-2008, 10:28 PM
Tronics

The point of the matter is it's not a good result, especially since Barca are notoriously good when they play over here.

Would have been better if we got a score draw tbh.

Still confident we'll roll them over @ OT.

Unread 24-04-2008, 10:30 PM
ap001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wafty Crank
They do count.

Unread 24-04-2008, 10:33 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiffy
If he'd scored we'd have won the game and been able to rest players or take it easier in the return game. I can see where you're coming from though. The away leg is more important than the home leg, except for the scousers.
Very true, if he scores I think we relax, their heads drop a little and we perform in a much more impressive fashion, as it was it galvanised them.

Quote:

We've had this conversation before...

It may just be my memory, but we always seem to concede stupid goals, so when we are in a position where 1 goal will £#%&! us up so badly it worries me immensely. Also, at this stage we always seem to suffer when we play away first.

Unread 24-04-2008, 10:39 PM
Billy Bigbollox

If the team that's won 16 of 18 league games and all our European home games this season turns up and plays like they can we'll be fine. What worries me is that they play like they did against, say, Citeh, or come out shit scared of conceding an away goal like we've done in the past and it becomes a self fulfilling prophecy. An away goal and a win/draw would have been ideal but we didn't get it, let's deal with the situation as it is ie not perfect but it could have been worse

Unread 24-04-2008, 10:40 PM
Grimson

Quote:
We've had this conversation before...
Indeed we have.

Unread 24-04-2008, 10:42 PM
user_name

it is my theory that teams that score away goals are the teams that win champions league ties.

thats how you win these things.

Unread 24-04-2008, 10:44 PM
ap001

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_name
it is my theory that teams that score away goals are the teams that win champions league ties.

Or those that win their home games.........

Unread 24-04-2008, 10:45 PM
ScarFace

The good thing about Barca is, they're not a Milan/Chelsea/Murderer, i cannot see them doing what we in Barca, they dont have the players.

Aslong as we attack like normal, we'l do it.

Unread 24-04-2008, 10:45 PM
Grimson

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_name

We really don't need to use words like "theory" when we're talking about things that have already happened. We need to look up the results for the last 10 or so years. I'm just enough of a saddo to do it.

Obviously you're right that teams that score away goals often win the ties, but just as obviously it doesn't always work out that way. Didn't help Roma much last year did it.

Unread 24-04-2008, 10:50 PM
Spiffy

For a positive spin, if we'd got a score draw, we know 0-0 gets us through. We now need to score to go through. Which game plan do you think we have more success with? Which is our usual game plan? I'm more comfortable needing to win 1-0 than knowing the players know they don't need to score.
Closed Thread