United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 18-03-2017, 01:56 AM
Mr_Ed

Default My old man said be a city fan

and I didn't... had he taken me to Maine Road I might well be now but he never did and, from 83 onwards, I supported United.

Who does / did your old fella support?

PS - I'm pissed

Unread 18-03-2017, 02:01 AM
Cream

Dad took me to Maine Rd to see them play Stoke. They got beat 1-2.

Bag o'shite.

Unread 18-03-2017, 02:14 AM
waynes ear's

Absolutely couldnt give a £#%&!. Hope the wife beating drunk is in a box

Unread 18-03-2017, 03:25 AM
VodkaAndCoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynes ear's
Absolutely couldnt give a £#%&!. Hope the wife beating drunk is in a box
£#%&!'s sake

My old man took me to OT for the first time when we were in the 2nd division. Thank £#%&! he was a United fan.

Cancer took him three days before the millennium

Unread 18-03-2017, 03:57 AM
waynes ear's

Quote:
Originally Posted by VodkaAndCoke
£#%&!'s sake
True story mate

Unread 18-03-2017, 05:37 AM
Gruber

United

Unread 18-03-2017, 08:41 AM
AK14

United

Loved Best

Football isn't the same these days etc etc...

Unread 18-03-2017, 08:44 AM
HolyMackrelDoodleBonkon

Me Dad took me to my first game when I was 5. Still go with him to this day, 32 years later

Unread 18-03-2017, 08:51 AM
irk

United. Adored best, law, and paddy crerand. He's football daft in general. Him and my equally besotted uncle used to travel all over, but they'd often watch city if united were away somewhere unattractive and they were playing someone big. If united werent playing theyd watch whoever was playing Blackburn, Bolton, wherever.

He took us to city v crystal palace once when his mate and his kids from leeds came over. I think i was the only person in the north stand not to jump up when city scored. Sulking i was.

Unread 18-03-2017, 08:58 AM
no fun

Me dad was a season ticket holding blue and probably thought I would follow in his footsteps, but when I was 4 we left Hulme for the garden city and the bigger boys on the estate threatened to batter me if I didn't support united

So I have my cowardice to thank for being a top red

Unread 18-03-2017, 09:16 AM
believe

Dad was a Leeds fan but thankfully my mum left him when I was 2 and met my step dad who's been going since the 60's. Took me when I was four and I've traveled the world with watching games. He's a proper top red

Unread 18-03-2017, 09:34 AM
woody78

Mine was a Forest fan.

He took me to the City ground in 1986 to watch them against United

Always had a bit of a soft spot for forest too.

Unread 18-03-2017, 09:46 AM
dunk

Home and away red throughout out the 70's and much of the 80's, when he became a season ticket holder and life meant he gave up aways. Started taking me and throwing me in the paddock in front of his seat when I was about 8, then used to drop me off at the Stretford End with my mate at about 12pm for a 3pm kick off, and £#%&! off to the pub, then we'd meet up at the AEI club on Moss Road afterwards back in the good old days of pay at the gate and first come first served. Used to end up in the OT Paddock or the Stretford End Paddock when it was rammed. Sat at the front with our legs through the fence slowly started taking over his season ticket when I was 11/12 and he became a bit of a big game red because he was always knackered from running out newsagents. Gave up the Season ticket in '97-98 as there were one or two money issues and Dad wasn't going at all at that point and my meagre apprenticeship wages couldn't quite make it

Still get him to a couple of games a season when possible, he's a lazy £#%&!er these days though and would rather have access to the pub instantly

Super optimistic red he is

Unread 18-03-2017, 10:22 AM
andyroo

Sydney Swans (AFL)

Unread 18-03-2017, 10:37 AM
Coracao

I find it a but strange when kids support different teams than their Dad. Obviously not indoctrinated well enough

Unread 18-03-2017, 10:38 AM
barca99

City, £#%&!ing loser

Unread 18-03-2017, 10:43 AM
Throw

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
Home and away red throughout out the 70's and much of the 80's, when he became a season ticket holder and life meant he gave up aways. Started taking me and throwing me in the paddock in front of his seat when I was about 8, then used to drop me off at the Stretford End with my mate at about 12pm for a 3pm kick off, and £#%&! off to the pub, then we'd meet up at the AEI club on Moss Road afterwards back in the good old days of pay at the gate and first come first served. Used to end up in the OT Paddock or the Stretford End Paddock when it was rammed. Sat at the front with our legs through the fence slowly started taking over his season ticket when I was 11/12 and he became a bit of a big game red because he was always knackered from running out newsagents. Gave up the Season ticket in '97-98 as there were one or two money issues and Dad wasn't going at all at that point and my meagre apprenticeship wages couldn't quite make it

Still get him to a couple of games a season when possible, he's a lazy £#%&!er these days though and would rather have access to the pub instantly

Super optimistic red he is
Did he rob them?

Unread 18-03-2017, 10:44 AM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throw
Did he rob them?
*our

Unread 18-03-2017, 10:48 AM
jaffo

United, as did all his brothers which is weird when you consider they probably started supporting them in the late forties in Cornwall. Manchester might as well have been on another planet to them.

My mum told me the only time she saw him cry was when the news broke about Munich.

Unread 18-03-2017, 10:51 AM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaffo
United, as did all his brothers which is weird when you consider they probably started supporting them in the late forties in Cornwall. Manchester might as well have been on another planet to them.

My mum told me the only time she saw him cry was when the news broke about Munich.
I know a fair few like that. The magic of United goes beyond what any of us can understand and pre-dates disasters and success. It's weird
Closed Thread