andyroo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
Absolute filth

Unread 08-01-2018, 11:07 PM
sa7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
we were awful in fergie's last season. this season's city would have been 30 points ahead. no challengers other than our own incompetence.
Were we £#%&!.

It wasn’t the best United side ever granted, but it was by no means awful.

Unread 09-01-2018, 12:05 AM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa7
Were we £#%&!.

It wasn’t the best United side ever granted, but it was by no means awful.
As if what has happened since doesn't make that even more obvious......

Unread 09-01-2018, 12:10 AM
Denis Irwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by LFOD
right - especially at Derby. He bought Francis for his EC wins although he didn't play much through the middle. £#%&!ing Birtles the name still haunts me!

Too bad he couldn't have played himself in the movie. His ego was as wide as the screen.But the drunken fool played some nice football. I hated them and the dippers during that time.
Birtles... worst signing ever, by a landslide. Paid Pogba money+ and wasn’t nearly as good as Luke Chadwick

Didn’t mind Forest - mainly because they stood between the rats and a clean sweep every year.

Unread 09-01-2018, 12:49 AM
The taste of...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis Irwell
Birtles... worst signing ever, by a landslide. Paid Pogba money+ and wasn’t nearly as good as Luke Chadwick

Didn’t mind Forest - mainly because they stood between the rats and a clean sweep every year.
This ...Cloughie's value to us was probably keeping the Treble untouched with those two European cups after we rammed them off the road in 77.

Rather he had done it with us though instead of Sexton being appointed

Unread 09-01-2018, 12:54 AM
Fat Al

Quote:

Peter Davenport?

Unread 09-01-2018, 01:01 AM
92ToBury

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
Clough’s achievements in isolation are unmatched by anyone in British football history as far as I’m aware. Taking two seperate clubs from the second division to national champions, the latter to back-to-back European Cups, and people are downplaying it ffs

How you assess the greatest manager depends on your criteria. Clough was unable to achieve the longevity and re-cycling of Ferguson. But his isolated achievements are, by far, more remarkable than any of Fergie’s trophies. Meanwhile, someone like Mourinho has done neither, but his ability to move around Europe instantly adapting and being successful is something arguably Clough and Fergie would have struggled with.
Aberdeen besting Real Madrid was bang £#%&!ing average obviously

Unread 09-01-2018, 01:02 AM
Denis Irwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by The taste of...
This ...Cloughie's value to us was probably keeping the Treble untouched with those two European cups after we rammed them off the road in 77.

I think most of us would’ve loved Cloughie but directors were terrified of him. Same with the FA. He’d have exposed the fat lazy @#%&!s for all he was worth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Al
Peter Davenport?
Not even close for me, although we were ripped off good n proper again.

Just illustrates though, how Clough/Taylor could make seemingly mediocre players play to strict instructions and be effective for the overall good. Sexton/Ron just bought names and hoped they’d all hit it off. I reckon we would’ve outspent Forest during their peak, yet never looked like seriously challenging.

Unread 09-01-2018, 01:03 AM
sub three hours

Quote:
In fairness to Sexton he brought in Joe Jordan and Gordon McQueen but compared to the Doc he was far more defensive and tactics oriented wasn't he?

Unread 09-01-2018, 01:06 AM
Denis Irwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by sub three hours
In fairness to Sexton he brought in Joe Jordan and Gordon McQueen but compared to the Doc he was far more defensive and tactics oriented wasn't he?
Clough bought Burns for two bob and nurtured Wood#@&%! and Birtles for not.

Loved McQueen’s knees-up charge through the middle with the ball when he got pissed off with ineffective efforts in front of him.

Tbf, big Joe became a footballer esp his last season.

Unread 09-01-2018, 01:16 AM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92ToBury
No, it’s not bang average at all.

But it’s not even remotely close to taking over a team in the second division and winning back-to-back European Cups.

Unread 09-01-2018, 01:20 AM
The taste of...

Quote:
He did well with those but the team seemed less spontaneous and reflected Sexton's cautiousness than the Doc's freeflow. The extra steel was meant to win the league but as mentioned above Cloughie produced some fantastic stuff and won the league using cast offs. You would need Ranieri to come back with say Sunderland, get promoted win the EPL and win and retain the ECL to match what Cloughie did today.

Fergies Treble put's him easily alongside Clough though for achievement in any 3 season period though especially having to respond to Wengers bar raising

Unread 09-01-2018, 01:26 AM
Denis Irwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92ToBury

Even bigger achievement was putting the Old Firm in the shade - repeatedly.

Unread 09-01-2018, 01:30 AM
sub three hours

Quote:
He did well with those but the team seemed less spontaneous and reflected Sexton's cautiousness than the Doc's freeflow. The extra steel was meant to win the league but as mentioned above Cloughie produced some fantastic stuff and won the league using cast offs. You would need Ranieri to come back with say Sunderland, get promoted win the EPL and win and retain the ECL to match what Cloughie did today.

Fergies Treble put's him easily alongside Clough though for achievement in any 3 season period though especially having to respond to Wengers bar raising

I'm 54 next birthday and loved the Doc's era (I can't really remember Frank O'Farrell's team) but remember 'enduring' Sexton's team.

I've just googled United managers first signings for the club, I wonder if it says anything about them? See what you think

Jose Mourinho - Eric Bailly

Louis van Gaal - Ander Herrera

David Moyes - Guillermo Varela

Sir Alex Ferguson - Brian McClair

Ron Atkinson - John Gidman

Dave Sexton - Gary Bailey

Tommy Docherty - George Graham

Frank O'Farrell - Martin Buchan

Wilf McGuinness - Ian Ure

Unread 09-01-2018, 01:39 AM
Denis Irwell

Quote:
I'm 54 next birthday and loved the Doc's era (I can't really remember Frank O'Farrell's team) but remember 'enduring' Sexton's team.

I've just googled United managers first signings for the club, I wonder if it says anything about them? See what you think

Jose Mourinho - Eric Bailly

Louis van Gaal - Ander Herrera

David Moyes - Guillermo Varela

Sir Alex Ferguson - Brian McClair

Ron Atkinson - John Gidman

Dave Sexton - Gary Bailey

Tommy Docherty - George Graham

Frank O'Farrell - Martin Buchan

Wilf McGuinness - Ian Ure
Nah. I think the managers did what they thought needed to be done at the time rather than a signal of intent.

Eg: poor old Wilf. Whilst Edwards and Busby were feathering their nest and refused to sign Mike England, Ball, Shilton etc etc he had to make do with Ian £#%&!ing Ure. Best 1st signing of that lot; Buchan, wasn’t reflected in O’Farrell’s term. Tbf, like Wilf, he was cursed from the beginning with the negligence of Edwards/Busby.

Unread 09-01-2018, 01:48 AM
sub three hours

Quote:
Nah. I think the managers did what they thought needed to be done at the time rather than a signal of intent.

Eg: poor old Wilf. Whilst Edwards and Busby were feathering their nest and refused to sign Mike England, Ball, Shilton etc etc he had to make do with Ian f***ing Ure. Best 1st signing of that lot; Buchan, wasn’t reflected in O’Farrell’s term. Tbf, like Wilf, he was cursed from the beginning with the negligence of Edwards/Busby.

Yeah, I think you're right, in fact i'm sure that I read that Matt Busby was still heavily involved in the recruitment of players during the Wilf McGuinness period.

Unread 09-01-2018, 02:04 AM
Denis Irwell

Quote:

Yeah, I think you're right, in fact i'm sure that I read that Matt Busby was still heavily involved in the recruitment of players during the Wilf McGuinness period.
Or more to the point ; involved in not recruiting... also in O’Farrells time

Terrible phase. Remember the trauma well.

Steve James
Paul Edwards
Carlo Sartori
Ian Ure ...

Don’t even like to think about it

Closed Thread