United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 21-12-2017, 12:54 PM
believe

Question What is the real answer?

I have always believed (and will always) that Jose is the right man for the job but something just seems missing with the club. We've massively improved over the last two seasons but it's December and it already feels like all out hopes are pinned on winning the CL and trying to keep a respectable distance from City in second place.

Is it a case of a complete overhaul of the squad or are we just a player or two away from being complete? It's so confusing.

Unread 21-12-2017, 12:57 PM
MUFC One Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe
I have always believed (and will always) that Jose is the right man for the job but something just seems missing with the club. We've massively improved over the last two seasons but it's December and it already feels like all out hopes are pinned on winning the CL and trying to keep a respectable distance from City in second place.

Is it a case of a complete overhaul of the squad or are we just a player or two away from being complete? It's so confusing.
We're in the middle of that. We need signings but we aren't as bad as people make out. Any other season we are 5 points off the top now ready to go for it in the new year.

Unread 21-12-2017, 01:00 PM
flixton

Awful transfer record. We have spent a shed load of money but most has been wasted. Hardly surprising that Glazers/Woodward are reluctant to splurge again.

Unread 21-12-2017, 01:02 PM
dunk

Quote:

Complete overhaul, which in reality should take 3-5 years of which we're 18 months in. Unfortunately in the current World, 3-5 years isn't acceptable to 90% of the fan base, as City are doing the same in 12 months. LvG got 18 months into his 3 year plan and the fans turned, and it was no worse than it is now, just in a different manner. There is no quick fix without changing 60% of the playing staff and allowing the manager the power to do exactly what he sees fit to get the club to the top. As it stands, he can't do that, so he's doing what he does and aiming to grind out results, which is torturous to watch, especially when the @#%&!s across the way are tripping the light fantastic...

I'm caught between sticking with Mourinho (and bitching a lot along the way) and getting rid and bringing in someone braver, younger with a vision of what the club should be.

We need to stick with Jose, let him ride out his biggest challenge ever, and get shut of Woodward and get him some proper support in that area and a plan for the club further than the length of Mourinho's contract and attracting as many sponsors as possible..

Unread 21-12-2017, 01:03 PM
S/Side.Red

Depends on what the question really is.

Results simply aren’t that bad. The League Cup usually isn’t a big concern.

As pointed out, in any other season we would be in a great position to challenge.

But in terms of quality of football and how convincing the performances are, this is what Mourinho tends to do. There comes a time when winning on the details and edging games you feel we are almost losing a grip of are no fluke. It’s how his sides usually win.

Unread 21-12-2017, 01:04 PM
Spock

Quote:

We only ever seem to buy average players. Pogba aside we haven't bought anyone who can make a real difference since RvP (that I can think of ) we never even replaced Keane ffs and he's been gone since 2005

Unread 21-12-2017, 01:10 PM
waynes ear's

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
3-5 years isn't acceptable to 90% of the fan base
would it be cheaper to gas the 90%?

Unread 21-12-2017, 01:12 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynes ear's
would it be cheaper to gas the 90%?
What’s 90% of 660m? Probably do the planet a favour tbf..

Unread 21-12-2017, 01:22 PM
Bunker Buster

A forum full Of spoilt children with a lack of vision and patience.....

Unread 21-12-2017, 01:28 PM
20 times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker Buster
A forum full Of spoilt children with a lack of vision and patience.....
Bunks> Dunks

Unread 21-12-2017, 01:32 PM
TheFatGoth

I'd rather be Liverpool at the minute tbh.

They might not win any trophies but their football is at least something to get excited about.

Unread 21-12-2017, 01:33 PM
andyroo

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFatGoth

They might not win any trophies but their football is at least something to get excited about.
Nothing's stopping you pal.

Unread 21-12-2017, 01:35 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20 times
Bunks> Dunks
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
We need to stick with Jose, let him ride out his biggest challenge ever, and get shut of Woodward and get him some proper support in that area and a plan for the club further than the length of Mourinho's contract and attracting as many sponsors as possible..

I was in with LvG for the long haul pal. I understand the need for patience. Was saying after the Moyes debacle that we were looking at up to 10 years to get back to the top.. nearly 5 gone..

Unread 21-12-2017, 01:36 PM
sweetleftfoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFatGoth

I'd rather be Fritzls daughter than you

Unread 21-12-2017, 01:37 PM
n48

Only real answer is to be purchased by another gulf state and operate without financial restraints.

Unread 21-12-2017, 01:43 PM
believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by n48
Only real answer is to be purchased by another gulf state and operate without financial restraints.
I think I read recently that in the last 5 years we've spent 600 million compared to city's 700. We've hardly been looking down the back of the sofa but we've wasted money on some seriously shit players

Unread 21-12-2017, 01:45 PM
Parlabane

We have to back Mourinho both financially and in support. We can’t keep hiring managers and then firing them again in 18 months when it doesn’t work.

The squad as has been pointed out is a mess and needs improving especially in midfield so we can control games better and not retreat to the edge of our own box when it starts to get tough.

I’m not convinced there is a manager out there who would improve us overnight so, for me we put our trust in him and let him get on with it

Unread 21-12-2017, 01:45 PM
TheKitchenSink

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
But in terms of quality of football and how convincing the performances are, this is what Mourinho tends to do. There comes a time when winning on the details and edging games you feel we are almost losing a grip of are no fluke. It’s how his sides usually win.
I've seen a lot of "this is how Mourinho sides operate" and imo it isn't really true. In big matches yes, but not against smaller clubs. His Chelsea team (not including the last few months of his final reign) didn't get played off the park at home by teams like Bournemouth. Neither did his Inter or Madrid teams.

Results are the only consistent Mourinho staple, but that's in large part thanks to superhuman performances by De Gea. As a team we don't have the solidness you'd expect. I think he must be worried by our current form, as it seems like we're only one bad result or one serious Pogba injury away from a really poor run of form. If he could I think he'd dump a lot of players in the next two windows, but whether he's able to do so and bring in superior players remains to be seen. If not then I can see him going elsewhere.

Unread 21-12-2017, 01:47 PM
dunk

Quote:
I think I read recently that in the last 5 years we've spent 600 million compared to city's 700. We've hardly been looking down the back of the sofa but we've wasted money on some seriously shit players
It's how its spent bellers. City have probably forked the lot out upfront, plus more on bungs, we've probably only laid out half of that so far, the rest is over the terms of the contract.. hence harder to get the top players as clubs won't let them go on those terms as they need to re-invest.

The players United target give it all away.. never even slightly interested in the high profile moves, Pogba aside..

Unread 21-12-2017, 02:00 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKitchenSink
I've seen a lot of "this is how Mourinho sides operate" and imo it isn't really true. In big matches yes, but not against smaller clubs. His Chelsea team (not including the last few months of his final reign) didn't get played off the park at home by teams like Bournemouth. Neither did his Inter or Madrid teams.

Results are the only consistent Mourinho staple, but that's in large part thanks to superhuman performances by De Gea. As a team we don't have the solidness you'd expect. I think he must be worried by our current form, as it seems like we're only one bad result or one serious Pogba injury away from a really poor run of form. If he could I think he'd dump a lot of players in the next two windows, but whether he's able to do so and bring in superior players remains to be seen. If not then I can see him going elsewhere.
I agree it’s perhaps a little less convincing even by his standards. But his Chelsea and Inter sides did often give other teams hope. They may not have got many chasings, but you regularly got the feeling they won on the smaller details.

His Inter side were so superior to everyone in Italy, yet they were 2nd in Serie A at half time on the final day. Clearly he’s one of the greatest managers ever, but it’s not a new thing for his teams to be picking up victories relentlessly when it feels their luck should run out. It’s usually no fluke. Whatever the pattern of play, they’re usually making fewer mistakes and being more clinical than the opposition.
Closed Thread