United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 21-05-2018, 10:53 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Boy Ronaldo!

The lack of links to RB is a huge concern.
If you think Mourinho is dissatisfied with Valencia I think you may be in for a shock.

Unread 21-05-2018, 11:15 PM
AK14

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Boy Ronaldo!
Yes 4 full backs.

One gets injured, and we know what they produce

£#%&! them both off, ones legs have gone the other has been shite and a one trick pony. Stop clinging onto the shite. Get £#%&!ing rid.
4 full backs in one window + other signings

£#%&! me you talk shit.

Unread 21-05-2018, 11:18 PM
ZiggyStardust

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrick_16
Exchange a hugely talented young forward for a near 30 year old injury prone centre back

Unread 22-05-2018, 05:13 AM
puressence

id be happy with a new right and left back fosu is back aswell and axel

Unread 22-05-2018, 11:28 AM
Whalefish

Re a RB, Alvaro Odriozola linked today and mentioned by a couple of journalists. Any good?

Unread 22-05-2018, 12:18 PM
AK14

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whalefish
Re a RB, Alvaro Odriozola linked today and mentioned by a couple of journalists. Any good?
He’s decent on fifa I’ve heard

Unread 22-05-2018, 12:20 PM
My Name is Heath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whalefish
Wikipedia says he's 66kg.

66 (sixty six).

Needs fattening up IMHO. Will be battered left, right and centre.

Unread 22-05-2018, 12:20 PM
Whalefish

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Name is Heath

66 (sixty six).

I did see a pic of him in one of the papers this morning and think the same!

Unread 22-05-2018, 12:22 PM
AK14

Exclamation

Quote:

66 (sixty six).

I don’t think we’d play him in the centre or on the left tbf.

Unread 22-05-2018, 01:13 PM
My Name is Heath

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK14
I don’t think we’d play him in the centre or on the left tbf.

Need fattening up.

Reminds me of the wonderful Fred Eyre and a story in his book.

He'd been sent somewhere and was promised a daily pint of Guinness and big steak to help build him up in his digs.

After days of crap food he asked the landlord - 'Where is my steak?' and the landlord replied

'My steak? The only mi steak you've made is signing for this club'

Unread 22-05-2018, 01:18 PM
utd99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberian
4 full backs? Really? Valencia would be perfectly serviceable as back up to a new starter while Young, as unfashionable as he may be, has had an excellent season and is the type of adaptable, low maintenance squad player who is valuable to have around. Always the focus on replacing all the defense when it is the attacking play that is the true problem with the team, we can dream of attacking full backs rampaging forward, but that role does not exist in a Mourinho team, he has always positioned his full backs conservatively.

Alderwerield has earned a towering reputation through achieving very little, far from convinced that he is the player that some make him out to be.
Not sure I agree with this mate. Whatever instructions Mourinho is giving them I think it’s clear at this point that our ‘wide’ men don’t like playing wide. That right side is forever being vacated, and the left more so since Sanchez replaced Martial out there. If that’s going to be the case then your full backs become vital.

By overloading the middle you gain an advantage, but only if you balance it out by having a full back who can capitalise on it. You simply cannot afford to have your width being provided by someone who has no creativity, can’t cut inside, can’t cross a ball and whose first choice is to knock it backwards. Think about the sheer number of chances we’d have created if Valencia had any technique, imagination and bravery outside of trapping a forty yard ball dead, then standing over it.

Right back in this system might be the most important creative position on the pitch, but we’ve made it into a black hole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
If you think Mourinho is dissatisfied with Valencia I think you may be in for a shock.
Then I don’t know what he’s looking at. Stoic work rate is not worth sacrificing all creativity for.

Unread 22-05-2018, 01:19 PM
Red Santos

FFS isnt he another crock?!?

Unread 22-05-2018, 03:48 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:

66 (sixty six)
Given some of the recent comment, surprised that wasn't his age tbh.

Unread 22-05-2018, 03:53 PM
andyroo

Quote:

66 (sixty six).

FFS another Di María. At centre half

Unread 22-05-2018, 05:30 PM
Curtis

Quote:
Originally Posted by utd99
By overloading the middle you gain an advantage, but only if you balance it out by having a full back who can capitalise on it. You simply cannot afford to have your width being provided by someone who has no creativity, can’t cut inside, can’t cross a ball and whose first choice is to knock it backwards. Think about the sheer number of chances we’d have created if Valencia had any technique, imagination and bravery outside of trapping a forty yard ball dead, then standing over it.

Right back in this system might be the most important creative position on the pitch, but we’ve made it into a black hole.
This.

Having wingers playing as inside forwards who always cut in is fine, so long as your full backs are willing to run to the corner flag and put crosses in. If they don't, the entire system falls down.

Ashley Young doesn't do that as he also looks to cut inside and put a right footed ball in. Valencia hasn't beaten his man since he realized he didn't have the balls to wear our number 7 shirt. Darmian can't cross and is probably off now, so the only natural full back who overlaps, attacks the final third and looks to cross, is Luke Shaw and we all know how reasonable Jose's been about him.

We get two proper full backs in (that Jose doesn't develop an irrational hatred for) and the system we play should make a lot more sense. At least mechanically it should function properly and maybe not look like the collection of stifled glue-sniffers it does now.

Unread 22-05-2018, 06:45 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by utd99
Then I don’t know what he’s looking at. Stoic work rate is not worth sacrificing all creativity for.
Same thing that made him love Arbeloa at right-back for Madrid and Ivanovic at RB for Chelsea?

Unread 22-05-2018, 08:00 PM
sa7

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyroo
FFS another Di María. At centre half
Looks well enough built for a centre half tbf

Better that than a chubby lump of ham like Jones

Unread 22-05-2018, 08:17 PM
andyroo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa7
Looks well enough built for a centre half tbf

Better that than a chubby lump of ham like Jones
Exactly. I think someone's having a laugh with that wiki profile.

Or else he's gone on hunger strike to get a move away...

Unread 22-05-2018, 10:10 PM
dunk

Wasn’t the 66kg bit for a full back linked that was mentioned?

Unread 23-05-2018, 05:52 AM
AK14

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
Wasn’t the 66kg bit for a full back linked that was mentioned?
Yes
Closed Thread