Giggs

Brenner
Van Nistelrooy

Unread 07-11-2011, 02:49 PM
borsuk

Default Re: Imagine having this squad..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coracao
Giggs was our best player in Europe for a number of years in the 90s.

Can think of quite a few in these teams who haven't matched his performances.

Cantona and Scholes to name two.
can't agree with that

Unread 07-11-2011, 02:52 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:

I second borsers objection

Unread 07-11-2011, 03:16 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:

Not sure I'd agree with that. He put huge fear into sides in Europe in the 90s, particularly when playing at Old Trafford, because when on form he was a frightening prospect, but I don't think he was ever our most productive player. His goalscoring record in Europe has always been very modest, particularly in the knockout stages.

Unread 07-11-2011, 03:43 PM
Fountz

Quote:

Spent most summers in Italy over the last 15 years or so. Granted, Giggs was very well regarded, but it was Scholes that they all really rated.

My eldest was on 6 or 7 when he wore the Black top (with Scholes 18 on the back) one evening when we went out for a Pizza. One of the waiters ( Inter fan I think ) embroiled him into helping him re-enact his goal against Juventus, who most of the other waiters supported ..using a bread roll

TBF, United were still finding their feet in Europe when Eric was there.

Unread 08-11-2011, 12:23 AM
PaulParkers

Ginners view on irwin has summed him up perfectly. What a pleb

Unread 08-11-2011, 12:33 AM
oohahhpaulmcgrath

Quote:

go take your mouth for a shite, scholes is the best we've had in the champions league

Unread 08-11-2011, 12:36 AM
PaulParkers

Quote:
Originally Posted by oohahhpaulmcgrath
go take your mouth for a shite, scholes is the best we've had in the champions league

Word

Unread 08-11-2011, 12:48 AM
magic_cantona

Talking Re: Imagine having this squad..

Quote:

Unread 08-11-2011, 12:57 AM
oohahhpaulmcgrath

[quote=magic_cantona;2631232][/ welsh @#%&!

Unread 08-11-2011, 12:58 AM
magic_cantona

Quote:
welsh dick
Your dad loves what?

Unread 08-11-2011, 01:10 AM
oohahhpaulmcgrath

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic_cantona
Your dad loves what?
that

Unread 08-11-2011, 09:21 AM
Tiberian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
Not sure I'd agree with that. He put huge fear into sides in Europe in the 90s, particularly when playing at Old Trafford, because when on form he was a frightening prospect, but I don't think he was ever our most productive player. His goalscoring record in Europe has always been very modest, particularly in the knockout stages.
I would have to disagree there, a few weeks ago I made the point that Giggs in European competition is probably Utds greatest ever player, and one whose performances actually improved at that level.

His goalscoring record in Europe would back that to some extent, 29 in 142, better than 1 in 5. That compares with 110 in 619 in the league, which is close to 1 in every 5.5. Your point about Goals in the knockout stages is a fair one, only 6 out of his 29. The same criticism could be made of Scholes and Beckham as well though, only 5 and 4 in knock out stages. That lack of goals is probably an important reason why the 99 team never won in Europe again. In comparison to them again Scholes scored at a lower rate in Europe, 26 in 130, 1 in 5 compared to 102 in 466 in the league. Beckham was more pronounced 15 in 83 in Europe, around 1 in 5.5 compared to 62 in 265 in the league, around 1 in 4.5. What has to be taken into account with Beckham is that he left at his prime without the loss of goalscoring potency that happened to both Giggs and Scholes as they aged.

At this point I am even boring myself with stats, but Giggs record as a wide player in European competition compares favourably with the direct peers of his time. Figo for example has 27 in 134, very similar to Giggs's record. Pires 19 in 117.

Now having said all that goal record do not entirely prove an ability to perform and they can be interpreted as wished.

Unread 08-11-2011, 11:49 AM
PaulParkers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberian
Now having said all that goal record do not entirely prove an ability to perform and they can be interpreted as wished.
So you've not only wasted your time but ours as well.

YHBR

Unread 08-11-2011, 12:32 PM
Coracao

Quote:
The second time you were wrong last night.

S2C pal.

Unread 08-11-2011, 01:14 PM
Part 36 Offer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Part 36 Offer
schmeichel
gaz nev
rio
stam/vida/bruce (can't decide)
dennis, dennis, keep playing football

ronaldo
keane
scholes
giggs

cantona
rooney (although not much in it with ruud)

vds bruce robson kanchelskis (@#%&!) beckham morrison RVN
in fact beckham would have to start! maybe ronaldo up top with king eric

£#%&! rooney

decisions decisions

Unread 08-11-2011, 08:25 PM
Neo

Surprised at how many people pick Stam over Rio when it comes to these things.

A truly great defender and the rock in our Treble side, but how many top-class seasons did he have at United? Two?

Rio has been a huge #@&%! at times, but consistently one of the best centre backs in Europe and one of United's most important players for a decade.

Unread 08-11-2011, 08:42 PM
borsuk

brilliant song as well

Unread 08-11-2011, 09:28 PM
Zorg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo
Surprised at how many people pick Stam over Rio when it comes to these things.

A truly great defender and the rock in our Treble side, but how many top-class seasons did he have at United? Two?
Tbf that was mainly because he was sold.

Centre-halves are usually either the hard case or the ball player, but Stam had both - a hard bastard, yet quick as £#%&! and skilful. Best defender I've ever seen.

Personally I'd have Stam and Ferdinand. :sitonfence:

Unread 08-11-2011, 10:56 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberian
I would have to disagree there, a few weeks ago I made the point that Giggs in European competition is probably Utds greatest ever player, and one whose performances actually improved at that level.

His goalscoring record in Europe would back that to some extent, 29 in 142, better than 1 in 5. That compares with 110 in 619 in the league, which is close to 1 in every 5.5. Your point about Goals in the knockout stages is a fair one, only 6 out of his 29. The same criticism could be made of Scholes and Beckham as well though, only 5 and 4 in knock out stages. That lack of goals is probably an important reason why the 99 team never won in Europe again. In comparison to them again Scholes scored at a lower rate in Europe, 26 in 130, 1 in 5 compared to 102 in 466 in the league. Beckham was more pronounced 15 in 83 in Europe, around 1 in 5.5 compared to 62 in 265 in the league, around 1 in 4.5. What has to be taken into account with Beckham is that he left at his prime without the loss of goalscoring potency that happened to both Giggs and Scholes as they aged.

At this point I am even boring myself with stats, but Giggs record as a wide player in European competition compares favourably with the direct peers of his time. Figo for example has 27 in 134, very similar to Giggs's record. Pires 19 in 117.

I think he always had more attacking responsibility than Beckham and, especially, Scholes, who obviously played a lot in midfield. But you're right about stats being easy to manipulate.

I don't really like talking about this subject because it feels wrong criticising Giggsy, but I must admit that he's a player I've found hugely frustrating over much of his career, especially in Europe during his would be prime years. A big part of that is because of what he's capable of; I agree with your earlier post about him being the most naturally gifted footballer Fergie has had. I just don't think that ability, aside from maybe a couple of years in his younger days, has ever really been represented by his importance to United, at least not for a sustained period. I think we've always had more reliable players, especially in European competition. All about opinions, though, I guess. Plenty would disagree.
Closed Thread