United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 27-05-2017, 01:08 PM
Billy Redface

A weird weird first year.

So frustrating in so many ways, yet ultimately successful.

Despite my (correct ) assertion that we wouldn't make top four, I've always felt we were improving from the minute he got here.

He's weeding out the shit and he's upped the quality of the squad. He's made mistakes. He was bound to, but he's been mostly vindicated and I can only see a big improvement next season.

His struggles only underline the idea that this Post-Ferguson spell is a really £#%&!ing hard time to manage......but there's genuinely nobody I'd rather have in the world to sort us out. I think he'll improve us again this summer. I trust him.

The next step is to add a little more quality, a more ruthless streak and make the side more expansive.

I think we're in the best shape we've been in since Moyes left in terms of next season.

Unread 27-05-2017, 01:31 PM
puressence

Been the best 1 year since 2005

Unread 27-05-2017, 01:34 PM
LFOD

should have been first choice after fergie left. if nothing he is an organized winner. notes , player knowledge , prem experience.

the two sirs £#%&!ed it in a big way and we had 3 season of absolute shit management. DFM and Mashie Pea Face. those 4 people plus some other board members £#%&!ed it big style.

by now Jose would be somewhere else due in part to his personality and we'd have another manager. when he does go keep fergie and bobby the £#%&! away from the room.

Unread 27-05-2017, 02:40 PM
Part 36 Offer

Awful thread.

Unread 27-05-2017, 03:04 PM
sa7

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe
What a difference a year makes
And the difference is Moooouuuu......

Unread 27-05-2017, 03:13 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Redface
A weird weird first year.

So frustrating in so many ways, yet ultimately successful.

Despite my (correct ) assertion that we wouldn't make top four, I've always felt we were improving from the minute he got here.

He's weeding out the shit and he's upped the quality of the squad. He's made mistakes. He was bound to, but he's been mostly vindicated and I can only see a big improvement next season.

His struggles only underline the idea that this Post-Ferguson spell is a really £#%&!ing hard time to manage......but there's genuinely nobody I'd rather have in the world to sort us out. I think he'll improve us again this summer. I trust him.

The next step is to add a little more quality, a more ruthless streak and make the side more expansive.

I think we're in the best shape we've been in since Moyes left in terms of next season.
Last thing I wanna do is start any problems chief, but a slight contradiction? If you didn't even back us to finish top four, ahead of what is a fairly plain Liverpool side who did their best to throw it away, how great is the improvement?

Unread 27-05-2017, 03:21 PM
Cream

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
Last thing I wanna do is start any problems chief, but a slight contradiction? If you didn't even back us to finish top four, ahead of what is a fairly plain Liverpool side who did their best to throw it away, how great is the improvement?
Pretty significant considering he won two cups, one of which effectively killed our league campaign.

Qualified for Europe, by hook or by crook.

More silverware, more success and he's only just begun.

Unread 27-05-2017, 03:23 PM
LFOD

Quote:
we played better football really. finished like school boys. got rid of players that weren't good enough but should have brought some new talent in. he'll bring in more players in the summer. get rid of more , especially the older heads and a few more that aren't up for it.

best first season as a united manager in a long £#%&!ing time!

Unread 27-05-2017, 03:39 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cream
Pretty significant considering he won two cups, one of which effectively killed our league campaign.

Qualified for Europe, by hook or by crook.

More silverware, more success and he's only just begun.
Glad we broke the world transfer record for that

Seriously though, in terms of team development I think l we are left with a question mark. Just about getting past average sides in the Europa and mugging Southampton at Wembley don't indicate we are ready to challenge. I think we need to be much better next year.

I keep coming back to it, but Pogba is key. He turns 25 next season. Needs to lead.

Unread 27-05-2017, 03:54 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
Leicester away will always be the one, had we run in 5 as we should've that day, who knows what might've happened
Fair point, real "sliding doors" moment that (for them as well as us)

Unread 27-05-2017, 06:26 PM
Billy Redface

Quote:
Don't really see what relevance Liverpool have in a discussion relating to our improvement from one season to the next.

To be clear: I thought we'd comfortably get top four at the start of the season. Once we had that sequence of draws I didn't.

Once we were chasing a big gap and didn't budge after that seven game winning streak, I just didn't fancy it.

I think there were improvements happening within that though.

Unread 27-05-2017, 06:36 PM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripDownMiseryLane
Where would we be by now had he been appointed when he should have been
in the post-mourinho era?

Unread 27-05-2017, 08:24 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Redface
Don't really see what relevance Liverpool have in a discussion relating to our improvement from one season to the next.

To be clear: I thought we'd comfortably get top four at the start of the season. Once we had that sequence of draws I didn't.

Once we were chasing a big gap and didn't budge after that seven game winning streak, I just didn't fancy it.

I think there were improvements happening within that though.
Because they were eminently catch-able. Even Arsenal very nearly did it.

So it still seems a slight contradiction to me that you see notable improvements yet spent all season not backing us to catch them or any others for a top four place. If there has been such improvements, why did you have such little faith?

I quite fancied top four up until March tbh. Probably the Bournemouth/West Brom draws that killed it for me.

Unread 27-05-2017, 10:25 PM
Billy Redface

Quote:
Because they were eminently catch-able. Even Arsenal very nearly did it.

So it still seems a slight contradiction to me that you see notable improvements yet spent all season not backing us to catch them or any others for a top four place. If there has been such improvements, why did you have such little faith?

I quite fancied top four up until March tbh. Probably the Bournemouth/West Brom draws that killed it for me.
I don't really see the contradiction in saying we have improved, but also think that we'll come up short of our objectives.

They're not mutually exclusive are they?

I don't think Liverpool are any better than us. They were more confident than us, had a big lead over us and a manager who had an extra year with his feet under the table than ours.

My feelings of improvement were more general: better players, better football, more xonfidence.

The reason I didn't think we'd get top four was the flaws in the squad, the position we'd left ourselves in and the commitment to the cups

If, hypothetically, we'd gone out both cups early and
The group stages of the EL, I think we'd have got top four. Liverpool certainly dropped more points than I thought they would. As did Arsenal.

The draws lost vital points, but also created it's own pressure and that transmitted to further draws and affected our performances, but I was genuinely optimistic regarding 'the bigger picture'.

Unread 27-05-2017, 11:06 PM
Gypsum Fantastic

Nrat

Unread 27-05-2017, 11:08 PM
ScarFace

Quote:
Originally Posted by saffers
https://twitter.com/ManUtd/status/868392124110315520

Jose: "There is a mystique and a romance about it which no other club can match."

Best moments? Quotes?

Funny bit after our "controversial" win at West Ham, Mourinho: "Which decisions (went United's way)? My decisions to play Mata at half-time and Rashford later? Thank you very much."

Apart from Trump, i wouldn't want anybody in history to manage us right now

Unread 28-05-2017, 01:12 AM
Denis Irwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarFace
Apart from Trump, i wouldn't want anybody in history to manage us right now
Closed Thread