United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Main > Main Forum
Closed Thread

Old 16-11-2009, 08:49 PM
mr.sitter

Default following on from the meat thread.do you know

why animals and meat have different words eg pig'pork, cow/beef, deer/venison ?

well, the animal names are all old english words. when the french invaded in 1066, they became the 'ruling classes' and built castles for themselves while all the poor brits lived in poverty in tied bondage to the new masters. the french spoke french and the english spoke english, which is how english managed to survive at the time because there wasnt much mixing between the rulers and ruled. of course the english bred the livestock, pigs, cows etc, and then prepared and cooked it for the french. the 'cooked meat' words such as mutton, pork, venison etc were french words, which eventually became assimilated into the english language.

Old 16-11-2009, 08:52 PM
mikey_red

Default Re: following on from the meat thread.do you know

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.sitter
why animals and meat have different words eg pig'pork, cow/beef, deer/venison ?

well, the animal names are all old english words. when the french invaded in 1066, they became the 'ruling classes' and built castles for themselves while all the poor brits lived in poverty in tied bondage to the new masters. the french spoke french and the english spoke english, which is how english managed to survive at the time because there wasnt much mixing between the rulers and ruled. of course the english bred the livestock, pigs, cows etc, and then prepared and cooked it for the french. the 'cooked meat' words such as mutton, pork, venison etc were french words, which eventually became assimilated into the english language.
that was almost as long as psalm 119. well it felt like it.

Old 16-11-2009, 08:55 PM
mr.sitter

Quote:
that was almost as long as psalm 119. well it felt like it.
yeah i walked into the valley of fred tissue and behold i though i must be thorough

Old 16-11-2009, 08:58 PM
mikey_red

Thumbs up Re: following on from the meat thread.do you know

Quote:
yeah i walked into the valley of fred tissue and behold i though i must be thorough
good plan. gotta admit though, it was rather interesting.

Old 16-11-2009, 09:01 PM
taff

Quote:
venison
Closed Thread