United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 21-04-2009, 10:01 AM
My Name is Keith

Default Short Wearing Champion.

There are undoubtedly some very strong contenders for this coveted accolade. I outline 4 that are in my view the strongest but ultimately its up to you who takes the title.

1. The Cast of ‘It Aint Half Hot Mum’

Bit of a wild card this one. On one hand, it is only a fictional drama set in a hot environment.

Nonetheless, all the lads wore their shorts with pride and that deserves some credit. My principle concern is the fat round one whose legs were so short that his shorts effectively became ¾ length pants. A real £#%&!ing “no no” in the short wearing world.

2. “I’ve Got That Micky Phelan”

A very strong contender for the title in my view. Principally, he wears his shorts in all sorts of weather and in all types of situations and this , I feel, sets him apart from many of the contenders we are considering. His loud booming Lancastrian touchline tones barking orders such as “Up his arse Rafael” just adds kudos to his exemplar short wearing.

My only disappointment is that he doesn’t insist of the MOTD cameras panning out to reveal his shorts when he’s being interviewed as we all know he wears his club blazer and tie with a sports short.

3. Ray Mears

A stone cold classic short wearer who again wears his shorts in all weathers and in all situations. Also, his shorts tend to be slightly ‘too short’ and are often worn very high up his mid-rift which serves to emphasise the wearing.

And for me, here’s a man who wears shorts whilst doing really important stuff like climbing tress, felling a 200 year oak to make a single bread board and unearthing unusual root vegetables to eat.

Ray has it all in my view. A very strong contender.

4. Steve Irwin (deceased)

For me again, Steve was a very strong contender for the title but his death has got to cast doubt on that now. You have to ask yourself the simple question, “can this guy wear shorts or not?” and the unfortunate answer is that he can’t.

But, we should never forget his constant crouching down during filming to reveal his shorts. Against him is the fact that he was generally wearing them in a much warmer climate when compared to Ray and “I’ve Got That”.

Not in the running as far as I’m concerned but important that he’s remembered for some classic short wearing over the years.

Poll to follow.

Unread 21-04-2009, 10:28 AM
elephantstone

it would have to be a postumous award for Steve Irwin....strewth mate

Unread 21-04-2009, 10:30 AM
jaffo

Quote:
Originally Posted by elephantstone
it would have to be a postumous award for Steve Irwin....strewth mate
Mr La-Di-Dah Gunner Graham > Steve Irwin

Unread 21-04-2009, 10:31 AM
Jez Quigley

Thumbs up

time someone took the initiative to clear this up.

Also plumping for Irwin - he was born to wear shorts tbh

Unread 21-04-2009, 10:36 AM
The Mull

Who is the other Ozzie, Irwinesque geezer, the beardie one, that doesn't wear shoes, he's nails him.
or

Weeman on a Friday.

Unread 21-04-2009, 10:38 AM
thenorthwillriseagain

i feel dennis the menace should get this
he wore shorts only once and his #@&%!bly knees overheated under long pants
surely the only way
then again didn't steve irwin get married in shorts? gotta be points there.

Unread 21-04-2009, 10:38 AM
Zorg

Wee Jimmy Krankie, a woman/boy hybrid created in a botched laboratory experiment, still wearing shorts at the age of 60-odd. When s/he's not falling off beanstalks.

Unread 21-04-2009, 10:41 AM
thatsfuctit

butch as

Unread 21-04-2009, 10:42 AM
Gypsum Fantastic

Unread 21-04-2009, 10:44 AM
Jez Quigley

Thumbs up

Kylie Minogue in the 'Spinning Around' video

Unread 21-04-2009, 10:44 AM
red @rmy

Unread 21-04-2009, 10:47 AM
ReligiousRed

Unread 21-04-2009, 10:52 AM
My Name is Keith

Funnily enough, I was going to put Sloppy's dad up there originally but he's clearly in speedos and therefore fails the final cut.

But in every other sense the guy's a winner and I for one would like him to be my dad too.

Good shout with Angus Young but he's a showman and he's wearing them for show. I''ve Got That and Ray Mears wear them as a matter of course and I think that sets them apart.

Good shout also with that Krankie chick with a dick thing but again, she/he wears them for show. I'm still more inclined to favour short wearing purists.

Fraid I can't do a poll as I've somehow £#%&!ed up being able to do one.

I'll count the votes if that's alright?

Unread 21-04-2009, 10:52 AM
Billy Baroo

bushtucker man pioneered irwin and mears look but topped it off with an ace hat

Unread 21-04-2009, 10:56 AM
irk

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Name is Keith
A stone cold classic short wearer who again wears his shorts in all weathers and in all situations. Also, his shorts tend to be slightly ‘too short’ and are often worn very high up his mid-rift which serves to emphasise the wearing.
i expect better from you keith. i refuse to enter the debate until this heinous error is corrected.

Unread 21-04-2009, 11:05 AM
thee mighty ceaser

Quote:
Originally Posted by religiousred

Unread 21-04-2009, 11:11 AM
no fun

how can a thread about men in shorts fail to recognise

not that I find it attractive

Unread 21-04-2009, 11:11 AM
Gypsum Fantastic

Thumbs up

fair comment on angus, but then i feel that the strong antipathy towards showmen should perhaps have led to the the boys that are here to entertain us missing out..

anyway, im hoping for mears. off on a course with his bushtucker school in june, i can pass on the good news if he wins

Unread 21-04-2009, 11:13 AM
Father Christmas

Uriah Rennie self-proclaimed champ

Unread 21-04-2009, 11:15 AM
MrBishi

Let's not forget the sacrifices some men make in the name of wearing shorts. Including losing their job.

http://www.buryfc.co.uk/page/LatestN...252181,00.html
Closed Thread