United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 22-07-2018, 08:50 PM
£#%&! KFC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggyman17
It does not matter who we have as manager, as long as the gimps are owners we will never get back to the top.. The reason we won what we did after they took over was because we had fergie in charge and already had the likes of Rio, Vidic, Ronaldo, Rooney at the club as well as Scholes and Giggs.. Those trophies were won inspite of the gimps not because they were great owners. One only has to take a look at how shit and run down Old Trafford is looking to see the gimps priorities..
agree 1000 per cent on the gimps....but we can't say Mourinho hasn't had serious money to spend, doesn't help when he spends £30m on Lindelof who can't get in the team and another relatively big outlay in Bailly doesn't play in the final and you have that @#%&! Jones starting

let's not even mention £300k a week guy Sanchez

Unread 22-07-2018, 08:58 PM
Alex Jones was Right

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
Maybe that's what the club want. No wum either.
In case you didn’t notice he has given the glazers exactly what they wanted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by £#%&! KFC
agree 1000 per cent on the gimps....but we can't say Mourinho hasn't had serious money to spend, doesn't help when he spends £30m on Lindelof who can't get in the team and another relatively big outlay in Bailly doesn't play in the final and you have that @#%&! Jones starting
Do we want young players signed with an eye on the future or do we want older, more instant impact players?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vedder
Makes perfect sense to give up the chase for a right back because they want to sign a player in another position. The internet has destroyed credible journalism.

Unread 22-07-2018, 09:16 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammy Dodger
In case you didn’t notice he has given the glazers exactly what they wanted.
Hadn't noticed tbh.

Unread 22-07-2018, 09:17 PM
Buck

It's the discord between manager and club which is the biggest route to failure. Yeah we can keep hating the Glazers but ultimately they are in the backseat in their rule of the club. We need to focus on Woodward and his dealings. One positive I'll give him is that he is the wedge keeping Martial at the club. He knows Martial's value and potential value and won't want a Salah/De Bruyne to happen to us. The other side of that though is we have to concede Woodward isn't totally commited to the manager's blueprint. We're in his third season and he has had a lot to spend already yet he still doesn't know his best team. Mourinho's history would make it naive not to have concerns.

If Mourinho wants to trim the squad of what he thinks is expendable - what is expendable to him and what is ideal for him isn't what you typically associate with Manchester United, lets be honest. Another manager could get the best of players like Martial and Shaw. Another manager might bring through Fosu-Mensah and Andreas Pereira. Another manager might target younger players and develop them together while Mourinho's methods of 'tough love' requires more older heads to rely on (Willian, Perisic). 99% of managers would not have pleaded Fellaini to stay.

If we withdrew that contract offer for Fellaini we may well have signed another midfielder. The only reason the club would have kept the offer on the table for so long is Mourinho's influence. That's a squad place taken for a useless bastard and blocks the path of youngsters.

Unread 22-07-2018, 09:27 PM
Chris Quayd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck

If we withdrew that contract offer for Fellaini we may well have signed another midfielder. The only reason the club would have kept the offer on the table for so long is Mourinho's influence. That's a squad place taken for a useless bastard and blocks the path of youngsters.
That was exactly the issue, re-sign the useless @#%&! for free or have to spend 20-30m on a squad player. Can only hope whoever is the manager next summer wants him gone at all costs, but with next to no chance of winning the league and a chance of us not making top 4 the morale at the club will be rock bottom. The last thing we should be doing is lumbering the next guy with a load of over the hill players on astronomical wages that will be impossible to shift.

Sanchez has looked worse than the person whose position he took, it would take a miracle to reverse a 20 point swing with city and that's ignoring that Liverpool are looking a lot stronger. Focus on signings that will be useful in 2/3 years time.

Unread 22-07-2018, 10:01 PM
Alex Jones was Right

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Quayd
Sanchez has looked worse than the person whose position he took, it would take a miracle to reverse a 20 point swing with city and that's ignoring that Liverpool are looking a lot stronger. Focus on signings that will be useful in 2/3 years time.
That’s an argument that we can’t afford to wait on martial and shaw and need players now who can make an instant impact. It’s up to martial and shaw to compete against that. It is supposed to be a competitive environment after all. Survival of the fittest. We can think about the long term when we have a successful side.

Besides, if we have such good young players coming through, it makes more sense to sign 29 year olds who can make an instant contribution now and allow the young players to come into a successful team and replace them when they’re ready.

Unread 22-07-2018, 10:26 PM
Chris Quayd

Quote:
That’s an argument that we can’t afford to wait on martial and shaw and need players now who can make an instant impact. It’s up to martial and shaw to compete against that. It is supposed to be a competitive environment after all. Survival of the fittest. We can think about the long term when we have a successful side.

Besides, if we have such good young players coming through, it makes more sense to sign 29 year olds who can make an instant contribution now and allow the young players to come into a successful team and replace them when they’re ready.
Well if we’re going to fall short id say it would make more sense to fall short with players who will benefit from the experience and will be ready to challenge in a year or two versus 29 year olds who will have checked out by then.

Unread 22-07-2018, 10:34 PM
AK14

Quote:

Yep.

Does sound like we have a good crop of kids all around the age of 16-18 who should be ready to come into the squad over the next few years, So the timing should be about right tbf.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Quayd
Well if we’re going to fall short id say it would make more sense to fall short with players who will benefit from the experience and will be ready to challenge in a year or two versus 29 year olds who will have checked out by then.
Another way of looking at it is if we build a squad full of young promising players and we struggle, they may actually lose confidence and struggle to actually reach their potential.

It’s about getting the balance right and I just don’t see what the problem is with adding one or two quality 29 year olds tbh.

Unread 22-07-2018, 10:39 PM
Whalefish

Quote:
Maybe that's what the club want. No wum either.
I doubt it's what Ed will want tbh. That'll be his third appointment post Fergie that has failed, his head will hopefully be on the chopping board next.

After the Perisic %@#$&!s last Summer - papers being fed lies about multiple bids, Inter confirm there was just one a low ball offer - it wouldn't surprise me if he's doing exactly the same again and dragging his feet where outgoings are concerned too. Had very low expectations this Summer despite it being a very important window for the squad (IMO).

I think that's Jose's lot this Summer, transfer window shuts in just over a fortnight doesn't it? Not a lot of time left to get would almost certainly be some very costly deals across the line and they usually take time.

Unread 22-07-2018, 10:41 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whalefish
I doubt it's what Ed will want tbh. That'll be his third appointment post Fergie that has failed, his head will hopefully be on the chopping board next.

After the Perisic %@#$&!s last Summer - papers being fed lies about multiple bids, Inter confirm there was just one a low ball offer - it wouldn't surprise me if he's doing exactly the same again and dragging his feet where outgoings are concerned too. Had very low expectations this Summer despite it being a very important window for the squad (IMO).

I think that's Jose's lot this Summer, transfer window shuts in just over a fortnight doesn't it? Not a lot of time left to get would almost certainly be some very costly deals across the line and they usually take time.
I think if there's no more players coming in this summer then the writing is on the wall for the manager. Expect him to be gone by December. We'll struggle to make top 4.

Unread 22-07-2018, 10:41 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:

We replaced Martial, who was having an impact, with Sanchez who has not.

The decision itself has not even been justified on a short-term basis yet, let alone the reasoning.

Unread 22-07-2018, 10:42 PM
Whalefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
I think if there's no more players coming in this summer then the writing is on the wall for the manager. Expect him to be gone by December. We'll struggle to make top 4.
Yep.

Unread 22-07-2018, 10:44 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:

After the Perisic balls last Summer - papers being fed lies about multiple bids, Inter confirm there was just one a low ball offer - it wouldn't surprise me if he's doing exactly the same again and dragging his feet where outgoings are concerned too. Had very low expectations this Summer despite it being a very important window for the squad (IMO).

According to many sources Woodward has been reluctant to fire managers, probably because he sees it as his reputation being damaged. But he does answer to a board, so the feeling there we can only speculate. It's the same board that had reservations about Mou in the past. And in fairness they'll be looking at Sanchez and Pogba and wondering when the money starts to have more impact.

Unread 22-07-2018, 10:49 PM
Whalefish

Quote:
According to many sources Woodward has been reluctant to fire managers, probably because he sees it as his reputation being damaged. But he does answer to a board, so the feeling there we can only speculate. It's the same board that had reservations about Mou in the past. And in fairness they'll be looking at Sanchez and Pogba and wondering when the money starts to have more impact.
I would like to see someone like Poch in asap but is it that much of a step up now as it once would have been - club maybe, but quality of squads? I'm not sure. I don't watch much football anymore to suggest anyone else but I like how he has got that Spurs side playing although it's taken time. Something I doubt 'we' would afford him.

Whoever it is, bringing back entertainment would be nice. Football used to be fun.

Unread 22-07-2018, 10:51 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
I would like to see someone like Poch in asap but is it that much of a step up now as it once would have been - club maybe, but quality of squads? I'm not sure. I don't watch much football anymore to suggest anyone else but I like how he has got that Spurs side playing although it's taken time. Something I doubt 'we' would afford him.

Whoever it is, bringing back entertainment would be nice. Football used to be fun.
Another season of Valencia and Mata down the right hand side. There's your "Fun".

Unread 22-07-2018, 10:55 PM
AK14

Quote:
Another season of Valencia and Mata down the right hand side. There's your "Fun".

Unread 22-07-2018, 10:56 PM
Whalefish

Quote:
I will be watching very little of it.

Unread 22-07-2018, 11:07 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:

It's the key question for an appointment like that. Would the frustration over the football over the last 5-6 years mean someone like Poch would get time if the football was there and the results weren't? Hard to say. What if the football doesn't come that quickly either?

It's not easy to just go and create great football. It's much harder than making a team solid, which is obviously why the firefighter managers are usually defensive ones. But we saw under LvG that patience doesn't last long. Fans who are used to the best pay their money to be entertained and to win, not wait for three years for something to be built.

Soon United fans will probably become re-acclimatised to the sacking culture. We'll be calling for managers' heads all the time just like they do at Barca, Bayern and Madrid. Be nice if before that era someone could get the chance to reshape the club's ideology.

Unread 22-07-2018, 11:16 PM
Whalefish

Quote:
It's the key question for an appointment like that. Would the frustration over the football over the last 5-6 years mean someone like Poch would get time if the football was there and the results weren't? Hard to say. What if the football doesn't come that quickly either?

It's not easy to just go and create great football. It's much harder than making a team solid, which is obviously why the firefighter managers are usually defensive ones. But we saw under LvG that patience doesn't last long. Fans who are used to the best pay their money to be entertained and to win, not wait for three years for something to be built.

Soon United fans will probably become re-acclimatised to the sacking culture. We'll be calling for managers' heads all the time just like they do at Barca, Bayern and Madrid. Be nice if before that era someone could get the chance to reshape the club's ideology.
I don't think the football would come quickly. I think the process of getting rid of the deadwood has been that slow that even a manager like Poch would come in and need a few windows to sort out the dross and add his own type of player(s) to the squad. It'll no doubt afford those players who supporters know aren't good enough another stay of execution and that'll hamper what a new manager wants to do.

I've made my feelings clear re Martial elsewhere, I simply don't think he has it in him to be a top player and a consistent one. Not just Jose who seems to have an issue with him either. However if United aren't to sign anyone else this Summer I do hope players like Fosu-Mensah et al get a chance. Something to prove. Rojo, Darmian, Jones and a few others staying put depresses the £#%&! out of me.

Unread 22-07-2018, 11:23 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck
99% of managers would not have pleaded Fellaini to stay
One might think this is just common sense, but LvG also became very fond of him didn't he? And has everybody already forgotten the praise Martinez lavished on him at the WC??

He does seem to have this genuinely strange hold over managers
Closed Thread