United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 23-01-2018, 09:04 PM
sub three hours

Quote:
Originally Posted by no fun
Once had a run in with the so called cool cats

We had been to the anti nazi league gig at Alex park (steel pulse, John cooper Clarke, Buzzcocks) and were getting the bus back to the garden city outside princess rd bus depot. The cool cats decided to show solidarity with their white brethren who had supported anti racism by attacking us with sticks. Fortunately some bigger boys off our estate came along and kicked their £#%&!ing heads in

Harlem Spirit played that festival too didn't they ? There's a realy good review of it floating around the Internet. I'll see if I can find it later.

Weird that the cool cats thought you were NF when you'd been to an anti racism festival. I'd have shit myself in the same situation by the way!

Unread 23-01-2018, 09:13 PM
no fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by sub three hours

Harlem Spirit played that festival too didn't they ? There's a realy good review of it floating around the Internet. I'll see if I can find it later.

Weird that the cool cats thought you were NF when you'd been to an anti racism festival. I'd have shit myself in the same situation by the way!
Don’t think they thought we were NF, we were just heading out of the moss towards home and they were generally being @#%&!s, doubt they had any idea what the gig was about. Probably about six or seven of them with those long narrow canes, fortunately some loons from harks estate came over the road and took them on

Unread 23-01-2018, 09:35 PM
92ToBury

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetleftfoot
Fantastic pictures. Bit too early for me, although I had a lot of them badges etc off my Dad.

The thing that strikes me is how young they all were. Reminds me of my own early days in the early 80s. Easy access to the match, not a lot of money to get in, and loads like you.

Nowadays its like Gods waiting room at OT...
Used to be £2.50 pay on the gate when I started going mid-80s, about 50p for a programme and a quid for the old man to park his car. Within ten years it was five times that for a ticket.

Unread 23-01-2018, 11:36 PM
Red Al

Scarves on each wrist

Denims full of badges

That was me going to OT in the 70s

Unread 23-01-2018, 11:40 PM
Cream

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92ToBury
Used to be £2.50 pay on the gate when I started going mid-80s, about 50p for a programme and a quid for the old man to park his car. Within ten years it was five times that for a ticket.
The price of tickets for anything these days is galactically high. Pictures, gigs, footy, £#%&! OFF.

Unread 23-01-2018, 11:48 PM
sub three hours

Quote:
Don’t think they thought we were NF, we were just heading out of the moss towards home and they were generally being @#%&!s, doubt they had any idea what the gig was about. Probably about six or seven of them with those long narrow canes, fortunately some loons from harks estate came over the road and took them on
I can't find the festival review nofun, sorry.

I don't mind admitting that I hated going to Maine Rd in the early 80's. All those terraced houses and alleyways, nowhere to run if you got sussed out.

Unread 23-01-2018, 11:51 PM
no fun

Quote:
I can't find the festival review nofun, sorry.

I don't mind admitting that I hated going to Maine Rd in the early 80's. All those terraced houses and alleyways, nowhere to run if you got sussed out.
Here you go

http://www.ukrockfestivals.com/rock-...cism-1978.html

Unread 24-01-2018, 12:05 AM
sub three hours

Quote:
What a line up, can you remember much about it?

I was 3 years behind you. This is the one I went to. £#%&! me there was a menancing atmosphere all day with locals and police. Moss side hadn't long since gone off, everyone was protesting the suss laws.

https://www.mdmarchive.co.uk/artefac...AL)_FLYER_1981

Unread 24-01-2018, 12:08 AM
no fun

Quote:
What a line up, can you remember much about it?

I was 3 years behind you. This is the one I went to. £#%&! me there was a menancing atmosphere all day with locals and police. Moss side hadn't long since gone off, everyone was protesting the suss laws.

https://www.mdmarchive.co.uk/artefac...AL)_FLYER_1981
Didn’t go on the March, just to the gig

Very hot sunny day, Buzzcocks were excellent, steel pulse also...could have sworn JCC did a couple of poems

Unread 24-01-2018, 12:11 AM
sub three hours

Quote:
Didn’t go on the March, just to the gig

Very hot sunny day, Buzzcocks were excellent, steel pulse also...could have sworn JCC did a couple of poems

I love the Buzzcocks....... but you'd have seen Steel Pulse at their peak at that time, Handsworth Revolution, in KKK mode.

Unread 24-01-2018, 12:13 AM
no fun

Quote:

I love the Buzzcocks....... but you'd have seen Steel Pulse at their peak at that time, Handsworth Revolution, in KKK mode.
Think this is from the gig you went to

Unread 24-01-2018, 12:21 AM
HarkNowHear

Different Mancunia gig

Unread 24-01-2018, 12:31 AM
sub three hours

Quote:
Think this is from the gig you went to

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1HZBfN8-w5U

That's definitely it. My mate was into all that space rock shit like Gong and was gutted as Hawkwind didn't play but Harlem Spirit were really good that day.

Quote:
Different Mancunia gig
Wow! I've not seen that before.

I was just that little bit too young for the Electric Circus, shame really as it was on my doorstep.

Unread 24-01-2018, 12:32 AM
no fun

Quote:

That's definitely it. My mate was into all that space rock shit like Gong and was gutted as Hawkwind didn't play but Harlem Spirit were really good that day.

Wow! I've never seen that footage before.

I was just that little bit too young for the Electric Circus, shame really as it was on my doorstep.
Absolute shithole in one of the most dangerous areas I have ever visited

Saw some great gigs there

Unread 24-01-2018, 12:37 AM
zanzare

When we went there I cannot remember us not @#%&!ting the bitters in the back streets going for the buses, but maybe we always had the numbers there. Once went with a dipper fan and his lads, same shit, coins and bricks for two hours, but the bitters were organised outside with spotters on the top decks of the buses at the end of the back street, and loads of the mouthy scouse £#%&!ers got a real kicking. Good to watch, but not really be a part of.
My best memories of Maine road must be the semi final replay against the dippers after the draw at Goodison, which was a bit tasty all over the shop afterwards.
What a £#%&!ing night. Mayhem outside before the game, Robbo's goal, mental second half, then the dippers £#%&!ed off before the end to rampage around the ground, but got absolutely destroyed by the Moss Side locals who defended everything as if it was a war.
Only bettered by going to Queens penultimate concert there, followed by the last ever live concert the following weekend in August 86.
Happy days indeed.

Unread 24-01-2018, 12:43 AM
sub three hours

Quote:
Absolute shithole in one of the most dangerous areas I have ever visited

Saw some great gigs there

Collyhurst!

I can still picture it vividly in my mind. Google says It closed in 1977 and the MEN describes it as a ''dilapidated and foul-smelling former bingo hall''

I also regret not going to the Mayflowerr in Belle Vue.

To be honest most of my gigs were at the Band On The Wall or the The International.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zanzare
My best memories of Maine road must be the semi final replay against the dippers after the draw at Goodison, which was a bit tasty all over the shop afterwards.
What a £#%&!ing night. Mayhem outside before the game, Robbo's goal, mental second half, then the dippers £#%&!ed off before the end to rampage around the ground, but got absolutely destroyed by the Moss Side locals who defended everything as if it was a war.
Only bettered by going to Queens penultimate concert there, followed by the last ever live concert the following weekend in August 86.
Happy days indeed.
Yep, that was the FA Cup Semi-Final replay at Maine Road, utter £#%&!ing carnage!

I went to Goodison for the first game too. I'll never forget that either. We were on an early train out of Victoria that was absolutely loaded with Uniteds lads. I'm honestly not lying to you, someone on the train pulled the emergency stop chain as we were approaching Edge Hill. The train came screeching to a stop with everyone falling about and then everyone (probably about 500 lads) piled off the train, right there in the tunnel, and marched up the tracks to Lime Street shouting War!

Unread 24-01-2018, 01:07 AM
Cream

Quote:
Collyhurst

I can still picture it vividly in my mind. Google says It closed in 1977 and the MEN describes it as a ''dilapidated and foul-smelling former bingo hall''

I also regret not going to the Mayflowerr in Belle Vue.

To be honest most of my gigs were at the Band On The Wall or the The International.
Just read this from the flowery Paul Morley.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/20...21/popandrock3

Sad about his old man.

Unread 24-01-2018, 01:20 AM
sub three hours

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cream
Just read this from the flowery Paul Morley.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/20...21/popandrock3

Sad about his old man.
I Read a book called 'The North' written by Paul Morley. It was a good. It was a memoir about growing up near Stockport (Reddish I think.) I'd recommend it. There's a lot more to him than all the Joy Division and Mancunian music stuff.

Unread 24-01-2018, 09:37 AM
believe

Quote:
I Read a book called 'The North' written by Paul Morley. It was a good. It was a memoir about growing up near Stockport (Reddish I think.) I'd recommend it. There's a lot more to him than all the Joy Division and Mancunian music stuff.
You Reddish you?

Unread 24-01-2018, 09:44 AM
sub three hours

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe
You Reddish you?

It was Reddish, Wiki says;

Quote:
Paul Morley, music journalist, critic and author of The North (And Almost Everything In It) grew up in Reddish.
Closed Thread