United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 14-08-2017, 10:41 AM
Billy Redface

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberian
Yes. It felt like that 5-1 at home against Fulham in 2006/07 on the first day. A team that many were uncertain about, players with a point to prove. Loved the freedom in the attacking play, really hope that Mou retains that attacking push. Yes there will be games when a more tactical approach is required but there is more than enough talent in this Utd squad to make a serious push for the league.
It looked more like a mourinho side. Not the functional kind that wins 1-0 in bigger games, that his reputation is built on, but the more run-of-the-mill fixture where his teams ARE attacking.. they do play nice stuff. He builds the platform with the likes of Matic , has his focal point in Lukaku then let's his flair players do the rest.

He's bringing confidence to the group,but he also seems more confident in them. Picked an attacking side yesterday. Brings Martial on with a bit of fire in him. Gives Blind the license to push on.

As you say,there will be times when a little more pragmatism will be required but that's the set up and attitude I want to see for the majority of home games.

Unread 14-08-2017, 11:02 AM
AK14

Most enjoyable Nqat

Chelsea last season and the europa final are up there as the best performances

Yesterday's game reminded me of the home win against Southampton last season, unlike that game we need to build on it and improve every time we play

Also yesterday showed what taking your early chances does to a teams confidence.

Unread 14-08-2017, 11:03 AM
Buck

Bayer Leverkusen away was one of our best post-Fergie performances imo but obviously we all tend to white-wash that season

Unread 14-08-2017, 11:06 AM
dunk

Well let's be honest, it's not hard but yes, actually looked like a side with a clue how to attack for just about the first time in his reign. Thoroughly enjoyed watching a side not just going through the motions but actually looking to play and looking like they were enjoying it. It's been a long time since you could say that about a United side.

I £#%&!ing love Bailly btw. Him and Jones look a good combination, just need Jonah to stay fit

Unread 14-08-2017, 11:11 AM
Bunker Buster

The starting line up is arguably our best team...

It shouldn't be rotated for league football...

Unread 14-08-2017, 11:13 AM
AK14

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
Well let's be honest, it's not hard but yes, actually looked like a side with a clue how to attack for just about the first time in his reign. Thoroughly enjoyed watching a side not just going through the motions but actually looking to play and looking like they were enjoying it. It's been a long time since you could say that about a United side.

I £#%&!ing love Bailly btw. Him and Jones look a good combination, just need Jonah to stay fit
Jones really did play well, marshalled the defence well and looked like a leader out there. But as always can he be trusted not to fall down some stairs or get run over by a bus at some point during the season?

Bailey looks £#%&!ing incredible, Such an athlete!

Unread 14-08-2017, 12:44 PM
MagnificentSeven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck
Bayer Leverkusen away was one of our best post-Fergie performances imo but obviously we all tend to white-wash that season
swansea on the opening day of that season too. how we all thought it was going to be business as usual.

also that city game in the league cup was a crap match and we struggled big time in the first half.

Unread 14-08-2017, 01:39 PM
Tiberian

Jones is an excellent player when fit, might have the most balanced set of attributes of all our CB options. Still a long shot that he will get over these injury problems, but if he could? Only 25, could easily have 7-8 years of high level football remaining.

Hate to reiterate how much I loved the team selection, very attacking, none of the Darmian, Smalling, Fellaini types who while useful can disrupt and limit the play. Like he wanted to make a statement, Utd have a good run of fixtures, the confidence that match should generate could push us to a very fast start. Chelsea and Leicester have won the league recently in that manner, jump ahead and watch the rest implode.

Unread 14-08-2017, 01:47 PM
20 times

I think we're a couple of players away from being title favourites but that was also the case in 06/07

MourinhON

Unread 14-08-2017, 01:47 PM
My Name is Keith

Quote:
Jones is an excellent player when fit, might have the most balanced set of attributes of all our CB options. Still a long shot that he will get over these injury problems, but if he could? Only 25, could easily have 7-8 years of high level football remaining.

Thought he played very well yesterday - even that collision moment where the most obvious outcome was him delivering a permanent and life threatening injury to our own keeper passed off peacefully which must be a first for 'Friendly Fire Phil'.

Still looks more accustomed to being a farm hand to me but would be delighted to be wrong.

Unread 14-08-2017, 01:50 PM
Chris Quayd

Celta Vigo away doesn't get the credit it deserves, first leg of a European semi final and we go away and dominate from start to finish with Rashford leading the line. 3-0 wouldn't have flattered us, on the front foot throughout and was a demonstration of the balls the team has (on occasion). Pogba was on another level, they couldn't stop him even with 2/3 on him.

Unread 14-08-2017, 01:51 PM
utd99

Quote:

Hate to reiterate how much I loved the team selection, very attacking, none of the Darmian, Smalling, Fellaini types who while useful can disrupt and limit the play. Like he wanted to make a statement, Utd have a good run of fixtures, the confidence that match should generate could push us to a very fast start. Chelsea and Leicester have won the league recently in that manner, jump ahead and watch the rest implode.
Correct. Ability has never been Jones' problem.

Funny thing is, for as much as I have been critical of Smalling in the past, I wouldn't really have a problem with him staying and being fourth or fifth choice, not when you look at how poor the other teams first choices are. He's absolute gash on the ball and has one howler permanently lurking just below the surface, but he's probably a better pure defender than most of our rival's starters.

We might just have the deepest pool of quality cb's anywhere, particularly when Rojo gets fit.

Unread 14-08-2017, 01:54 PM
Tiberian

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Name is Keith
Thought he played very well yesterday - even that collision moment where the most obvious outcome was him delivering a permanent and life threatening injury to our own keeper passed off peacefully which must be a first for 'Friendly Fire Phil'.

Still looks more accustomed to being a farm hand to me but would be delighted to be wrong.
I think(hope) playing with Bailly could force Jones to play in a more studied way, love Bailly but he does have a certain level of rash impulsiveness in his game. It is what makes watching him so fun, never seen a ball he did not think he could win, but it does require his partner to play in a steadier fashion.

Also maturity, when fit in the last couple years he has played relatively well and has shown fewer of those Wreck it Ralph tendencies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by utd99
Correct. Ability has never been Jones' problem.

Funny thing is, for as much as I have been critical of Smalling in the past, I wouldn't really have a problem with him staying and being fourth or fifth choice, not when you look at how poor the other teams first choices are. He's absolute gash on the ball and has one howler permanently lurking just below the surface, but he's probably a better pure defender than most of our rival's starters.

We might just have the deepest pool of quality cb's anywhere, particularly when Rojo gets fit.
Been saying that for a while, it is not even close, Spurs have little to nothing in reserve, Liverpool's starters would not make our bench, Arsenal are having to cobble together a back-line, City have a fantastic collection of full backs and Chelsea have a squad in keeping with Contes' early hair escapades.

Still think we need to find space for Tunazebe though, he looks an exceptional prospect.

Unread 14-08-2017, 02:06 PM
Denis Irwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK14
Jones really did play well, marshalled the defence well and looked like a leader out there. But as always can he be trusted not to fall down some stairs or get run over by a bus at some point during the season?

Bailey looks £#%&!ing incredible, Such an athlete!
Love that bit when the ball was bouncing around heads in our area and Bailly, on his arse, suddenly popped up from nowhere and joined in.

Unread 14-08-2017, 02:08 PM
utd99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis Irwell
Love that bit when the ball was bouncing around heads in our area and Bailly, on his arse, suddenly popped up from nowhere and joined in.

Him and Jones cleaned each other out from a corner as well.

Unread 14-08-2017, 02:17 PM
Denis Irwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by utd99
Him and Jones cleaned each other out from a corner as well.

Sign of great things to come

Unread 14-08-2017, 03:34 PM
ZiggyStardust

Quote:
I think(hope) playing with Bailly could force Jones to play in a more studied way, love Bailly but he does have a certain level of rash impulsiveness in his game. It is what makes watching him so fun, never seen a ball he did not think he could win, but it does require his partner to play in a steadier fashion.

Also maturity, when fit in the last couple years he has played relatively well and has shown fewer of those Wreck it Ralph tendencies.
Bailly was great on the ball yesterday
Those two touches in the opening minutes

Looked less raw than at the start of next season

Our CB options gives Jose the luxury of leaving Lindelof out of the squad for the time being

Unread 14-08-2017, 03:44 PM
saffers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Quayd
Celta Vigo away doesn't get the credit it deserves, first leg of a European semi final and we go away and dominate from start to finish with Rashford leading the line. 3-0 wouldn't have flattered us, on the front foot throughout and was a demonstration of the balls the team has (on occasion). Pogba was on another level, they couldn't stop him even with 2/3 on him.
Chelsea dominant win was around that time aswell. But the place was overrun with Van Gaalettes whining so we couldnt enjoy it on this forum....

Unread 14-08-2017, 04:21 PM
MagnificentSeven

i still think our best performance since fergie was the 4-2 against city. it had been a long time since we gave that lot a battering, and weren't they just overdue one?

yesterday was definitely one of our best perfomances under jose, without a single doubt, but for me it's still chelsea at home last season.

we will witness performances better than any mentioned in this topic this season though.

Unread 14-08-2017, 04:59 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Still think we need to find space for Tunazebe though, he looks an exceptional prospect.
Agree, and I expect he will get playing time this season.
Closed Thread