United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 01-05-2013, 12:51 PM
Scabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe
is this why you wore waterproof pants and goggles?
Do you honestly think I'd go to a game looking like that in the 80s?!

Cream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scabs
Oi! That's my gif, you bumbag!
Actually, it's my gif but...

Ericca, what reading have you done outside of Fred?

Comes on here expecting us to write her essay then gets all pissy when we do what we actually come on here to do - avoid work.

Jez Quigley

Quote:
Originally Posted by irk
It's been appropriated and commodified by @#%&!s. It's played by arrogant entitled millionaire @#%&!s in front of an audience of clueless consumer @#%&!s.
United @#%&!dom.

@#%&!opia.

@#%&!chester.

We really are a nation of @#%&!s and I should know. I'm a weapons grade @#%&! tbf.

Unread 01-05-2013, 12:52 PM
Harri Jaffa

Throb used to be considered an expert

Unread 01-05-2013, 12:52 PM
boreez

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericcantona
On one hand you have the working class people watching the match, but on the other football largely relies on these middle class people looking for a prawn sandwich experience. Football is full of them these days. Then there's the players who in the past were no different to the men watching them. Now they're paid vast amounts and put on a pedestal which leads to the @#%&!s you see playing football now.
Alright, alright. No one wants to read your essay. Though I'd probably leave '@#%&!s' out of it if you want to do well.

Unread 01-05-2013, 12:53 PM
ericcantona

Part of it involves interviews with match-goers and non-match-goers. But I'm using artistic license for that part. So that's why I've come on here. Not something I'm gonna find in a book is it.

believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harri Jaffa
Throb used to be considered an expert
that was more than 30 years ago tbf

Buford

Quote:
Was hoping for people born before the 70s to contribute but cheers #@&%!s £#%&!ing hilarious stuff
Fat arse seen.

Unread 01-05-2013, 12:54 PM
ericcantona

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buford
Fat arse seen.
Shouldn't you be following Sparky around you weird @#%&!

Unread 01-05-2013, 12:55 PM
dunk

In terms of the way the game is played. The changes to the rules (pass back law and offside, number of subs etc) have changed it a fair bit, as hav the pitches, improved out of site and allowed a different type game to be played. Then there is the change in training, nutrition, rehabilitation etc. as education has improved, all these things have improved/changed.

Unread 01-05-2013, 12:55 PM
believe

Quote:
Part of it involves interviews with match-goers and non-match-goers. But I'm using artistic license for that part. So that's why I've come on here. Not something I'm gonna find in a book is it.
you'll struggle on here too sweet cheeks

Unread 01-05-2013, 12:56 PM
Mr Castro

I go to the odd game but can't afford it regularly.

ericcantona

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe
you'll struggle on here too sweet cheeks
Sweet cheeks. Don't be such a condescending #@&%! believe.

Barcabal

Brian Moores death left a terrible void that hasnt been filled.

Cream

Quote:

Gathered that sweet, sweet cheeks.

I would make the perfect interviewee given the huge gap in my OT attendances. Shame really.

Lazlo Panaflex

Quote:
He's so snidey lately IMO.

Unread 01-05-2013, 12:57 PM
believe

Quote:
it was meant to be a compliment ffs.

Unread 01-05-2013, 12:59 PM
Zorg

Quote:
Could at least have said thanks anyway, you ungrateful @#%&!.

rockored

Don't forget the influx of women into the sport too.

Ruining it for everyone.

Thanks.

elhombre

Quote:
Originally Posted by no fun
ok heres what happened

football was essentially a sport for the working classes.....affordable prices, kick off times to tie in with the saturday half day shift in the factory, and a culture of supporting your local team

in the late 60s and early 70s, youth culture became intermingled with terrace culture, and football hooliganism increased( it wasnt invented then, been with us for decades). This led to a decrease in attendances.

In 1979 a tory government with an overtly anti working class manifesto was elected. Thatcher hated football and its supporters, and waited for an excuse to gentrify the game and hand it over to the middle classes. In 1985 and 1989 the scousers gave her the 2 excuses she needed.

All seater stadiums, membership schemes, draconian banning orders......a flag of convenience to erode a traditional working class pasttime.

we then had "nessan dorma" at the 1990 world cup, and suddenly the opera loving classes had a reason to attend the "soccer".......cup of bovril and a meat pie wasnt good enough for them, so the corporate suite with egon ronay catering was created

we are left with sterile grounds catering for sterile crowds

I blame thatcher and the scousers
this.

working class barmies with banners, bobble hats, watney's party seven and a zest for life to tossers with ipads, poncey clothes, massive disposable income and bobble hats.

essentially the ellers -> carlo effect.
Closed Thread