United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 05-09-2012, 11:05 PM
utd99

Quote:
Originally Posted by borsuk
i'd be very surprised if they haven't already sounded out the idea with potential sponsors. if the response was positive and the amount was enough they wouldn't hesitate imo.
The Glazers were probably watching the situation at St James' with keen interest. The Arsenal and City situations were different because they are brand new stadia, but changing St James' into Sports direct was much more akin to what would happen here. I have to say the underwhelming reaction of the Newcastle supporters would only have encouraged them.

Unread 05-09-2012, 11:40 PM
wonky no

Quote:
Originally Posted by utd99
The Glazers were probably watching the situation at St James' with keen interest. The Arsenal and City situations were different because they are brand new stadia, but changing St James' into Sports direct was much more akin to what would happen here. I have to say the underwhelming reaction of the Newcastle supporters would only have encouraged them.
it'll be no different at O.T
imho

Unread 06-09-2012, 12:39 AM
utd99

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonky no
it'll be no different at O.T
imho
Possibly. It would be different for me though. This club would not get another penny out of me. Maybe I'm not that atypical.

Unread 06-09-2012, 01:00 AM
thenorthwillriseagain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
There would have been riots at somewhere like Madrid or AC Milan, The Directors would have been issuing grovelling statements to placate the fans. Instead we all got told to £#%&! off and support Chelsea.
just like in politics none of us have nay balls when it comes to social disobedience

Unread 06-09-2012, 01:07 AM
Sparky***

Quote:
No, there's a reason they haven't done it yet. The money has always been there if they had wanted to tap it. Old Trafford has to be one of the top five iconic stadium names in the world of football.

I really think (hope) that is they so overtly stole a piece of our history, the opposition movement would explode. I think the apathy you describe quite correctly (I'm guilty of it myself) would evaporate to a large degree with something like this. Then it would be crystal clear that we are in a battle for the soul of our club.

Unread 06-09-2012, 01:11 AM
utd99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
The "Ronaldo Summer" was the acid test. Which they flew through with barely even a murmur of discontent. Selling Ronaldo and getting in Michael Owen and Valencia. There would have been riots at somewhere like Madrid or AC Milan, The Directors would have been issuing grovelling statements to placate the fans. Instead we all got told to £#%&! off and support Chelsea.
I think there's a massive difference between personnel manoeverings and this. They say no one is bigger than the club, well this is not about Ronaldo or Rooney, this is about the club itself.

Unread 06-09-2012, 01:16 AM
tatty

There would be howls of anguish from some fans and the odd newspaper piece about the loss of tradition but give it a couple of months and the fuss would be forgotten.

I reckon a sizeable chunk of our support would consider £200m ample compensation for 4 years of watching the shirts in the 'Bud Bowl'.

Unread 06-09-2012, 01:20 AM
utd99

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatty
There would be howls of anguish from some fans and the odd newspaper piece about the loss of tradition but give it a couple of months and the fuss would be forgotten.

I reckon a sizeable chunk of our support would consider £200m ample compensation for 4 years of watching the shirts in the 'Bud Bowl'.
Well I really hope you're wrong, because that would be it for me. I would no longer consider us to be Manchester United.

Unread 06-09-2012, 02:14 AM
Grimson

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenorthwillriseagain
heard someone say the capital one cup for the first time the other day
didn't miss a beat

league cup in case you didn't know
It's been synonymous with whatever sponsor has been attached to it for well over two decades. I still think of it as the Milk Cup.

Unread 06-09-2012, 02:36 AM
utd99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimson
It's been synonymous with whatever sponsor has been attached to it for well over two decades. I still think of it as the Milk Cup.
Rumbelows.

Let's face it the league cup has never had a serious rep since it's inception.

Unread 06-09-2012, 02:41 AM
Sparky***

my first remembering of it is as the littlewoods cup

coca-cola cup

Unread 06-09-2012, 02:42 AM
bcred

I can remember walking past the cricket club,saying to a mate.

"if they ever put a sponsors name on our shirt,I'll stop going"

That didn't work either.

Unread 06-09-2012, 02:53 AM
utd99

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcred
I can remember walking past the cricket club,saying to a mate.

"if they ever put a sponsors name on our shirt,I'll stop going"

That didn't work either.
I think every true red has their breaking point though, but it won't be the same straw for everyone. Even though I didn't go the same route I do sympathize with the FC crowd. This would be mine.

Unread 06-09-2012, 03:05 AM
bcred

I understand and appreciate your feelings.

Unread 06-09-2012, 05:38 AM
believe

Quote:
Possibly. It would be different for me though. This club would not get another penny out of me. Maybe I'm not that atypical.
this is what happens when you wait and see.

Unread 06-09-2012, 06:32 AM
utd99

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe
this is what happens when you wait and see.
As opposed to....?

Unread 06-09-2012, 06:45 AM
believe

Quote:
As opposed to....?
well, not waiting and not seeing.

Unread 06-09-2012, 07:01 AM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe
that was kind of my point but in one simple sentence.
I was agreeing with you. perhaps I should just have said "true".

although I did add the point that naming rights would have been considered without the glazers and without the waiting and seeing because it's basically money for old rope. "this is what happens" would have sufficed.

Unread 06-09-2012, 07:06 AM
believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
I was agreeing with you. perhaps I should just have said "true".

although I did add the point that naming rights would have been considered without the glazers and without the waiting and seeing because it's basically money for old rope. "this is what happens" would have sufficed.
true

How would the name change of the stadium affect the SAF stand or whatever it's called?

Unread 06-09-2012, 07:38 AM
Scabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimson
Ditto.
Closed Thread