United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 15-08-2011, 03:27 PM
utd99

Default Ushering the ball out of play.

Anyone else think that this is getting absolutely ludicrous?

My understanding of the rules were that if you made no attempt to actually play the ball, instead using your body to impede the progress of an opponent that this was deemed 'obstruction', and therefore a foul. It's one thing to decide at the last moment that to let a ball run rather than play it would benefit the team, but to body check an opponent 20 yards out and run behind a ball that's almost lost momentum by the time it reaches the byline is a £#%&!ing joke, yet it happens all the time now, in every game.

It's the sort of thing that if it happened on the halfway line would be a foul every time. I wouldn't mind if the forward was allowed a legitimate attempt to get the ball, but then it's a tackle from behind and a foul against the player trying to get the ball. Nonsense.

It's not the sort of thing that will ruin a game in the same way that diving does, but every time I see it, it winds me up because it further clouds the issue of what constitutes a foul and what doesn't.

Unread 15-08-2011, 03:30 PM
Jez Quigley

Default Re: Ushering the ball out of play.

Yeah, Yeah Yeah.....

Usher and Ludacris in the same post!!!

Unread 15-08-2011, 03:30 PM
Ginners

srsly?

Unread 15-08-2011, 03:31 PM
forwardirektion

Think you're taking it all a bit seriously fella.

Unread 15-08-2011, 03:32 PM
Bunker Buster

Thumbs up Re: Ushering the ball out of play.

Its kept me awake for weeks, but i just didnt have the Balls to post a thread about it.........

Thank you utd99.

Subscribed.

Sparky***

I'm gonna be honest, it's all I think about.

utd99

Quote:
Originally Posted by forwardirektion
Think you're taking it all a bit seriously fella.
Maybe.

I thought that pointless ponderings were the backbone of a good forum though.

Unread 15-08-2011, 03:35 PM
utd99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker Buster
Its kept me awake for weeks, but i just didnt have the Balls to post a thread about it.........

Thank you utd99.

Subscribed.
Come on you @#%&!s, is it a foul or not??

Unread 15-08-2011, 03:36 PM
Jez Quigley

Sod it - I agree.

It's not as bad as when someone brushes someone in midfield and a foul is given yet at a corner, it's bloody 2 falls and a submission for some people and the ref just puts it down to bantz.

I remember Michael Ballack on Ronaldo a couple of seasons back at a corner more or less suplexing him and virtually cleaning his clock for him as soon as he came on the pitch. As it was at a corner, the ref just continued pulling his plonker.

Inconsistency - it drives me flipping mad and I've never thought about the ushering out thing but goddam it, you're right.

Unread 15-08-2011, 03:37 PM
Bunker Buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by utd99
]

Unread 15-08-2011, 03:38 PM
Time For Heroes

Quote:
Dunno, I'm more concerned to whatever happened to the lesser spotted indirect free kick. Seriously, they're a very endangered species.

Unread 15-08-2011, 03:39 PM
utd99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jez Quigley
Sod it - I agree.

It's not as bad as when someone brushes someone in midfield and a foul is given yet at a corner, it's bloody 2 falls and a submission for some people and the ref just puts it down to bantz.

I remember Michael Ballack on Ronaldo a couple of seasons back at a corner more or less suplexing him and virtually cleaning his clock for him as soon as he came on the pitch. As it was at a corner, the ref just continued pulling his plonker.

Inconsistency - it drives me flipping mad and I've never thought about the ushering out thing but goddam it, you're right.
You've got too much time on your hands mate.

Maybe a hobby?

Just trying to get out of the firing line.

Unread 15-08-2011, 03:39 PM
borsuk

as long as the ball's within playing distance you can use your body to shield it iirc

Unread 15-08-2011, 03:42 PM
utd99

Quote:
Originally Posted by borsuk
as long as the ball's within playing distance you can use your body to shield it iirc
Seriously though, Fifa calls for an indirect free kick if you use your body to impede the progress of an opponent.

Unread 15-08-2011, 03:44 PM
forwardirektion

Quote:
Seriously though, Fifa calls for an indirect free kick if you use your body to impede the progress of an opponent.
Are you in control of the ball if you haven't touched it?

Unread 15-08-2011, 03:48 PM
The Return of JC

Quote:

My understanding of the rules were that if you made no attempt to actually play the ball, instead using your body to impede the progress of an opponent that this was deemed 'obstruction', and therefore a foul. It's one thing to decide at the last moment that to let a ball run rather than play it would benefit the team, but to body check an opponent 20 yards out and run behind a ball that's almost lost momentum by the time it reaches the byline is a £#%&!ing joke, yet it happens all the time now, in every game.

It's the sort of thing that if it happened on the halfway line would be a foul every time. I wouldn't mind if the forward was allowed a legitimate attempt to get the ball, but then it's a tackle from behind and a foul against the player trying to get the ball. Nonsense.

It's not the sort of thing that will ruin a game in the same way that diving does, but every time I see it, it winds me up because it further clouds the issue of what constitutes a foul and what doesn't.
Agreed. Pisses me right off.

Unread 15-08-2011, 04:01 PM
jem

Quote:

I will sign your petition.

Quote:

Yeah, Yeah Yeah.....

Usher and Ludacris in the same post!!!
:shakehead:

Quote:
Sod it - I agree.

I will also sign your petition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by borsuk
this should only be the case if you first establish possession by contact rather than proximity.

lampard should have been booked for diving.

Unread 15-08-2011, 04:03 PM
utd99

Quote:
Originally Posted by forwardirektion
Are you in control of the ball if you haven't touched it?
I don't know, but you don't have to be in control of the ball to be fouled. Their word is 'progress'.

Either way, it's just another example of giving an inch and taking a yard. No way should you be able to body check someone 20 yards from the byline and not even look at the ball while you are doing it.

Unread 15-08-2011, 04:13 PM
Alex de Large

The quick free-kick is also in danger of being wiped out of the game.
Opposition players not retreating ten yards quickly enough means all current quick free kicks are played sideways or backwards and I can't recall the last time a player was booked for not retreating quickly enough.
Bah.

Unread 15-08-2011, 04:25 PM
elephantstone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker Buster

Thank you utd99.

Subscribed.
Closed Thread