United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 17-01-2009, 06:23 PM
Spaniard

Default Did today's game demonstrate why we should get rid of Tevez?

This isnt a thread slating Tevez. I appreciate his energy and enthusiasm, and obviously he set up the goal, but from what I saw and heard he was pretty poor today. Plus he was about to be substituted.

Obviously our midfield wasnt at its best, I think today shows why we need a genuine no.9 who will run past the last defender. At times Tevez can look scrappy, and shows a poor first touch.

I cant help but think that if we had a Saha-like player, (someone with pace) we would have won more comfortably.

Unread 17-01-2009, 06:26 PM
Stretlow

Benzema NFT

However I dont think we should sell tevez

Unread 17-01-2009, 06:28 PM
Crumps

I like him but his performances of late have been poor and we are seriously lacking pace and a physical presence up front, too much fannying about when you need the option to be direct from time to time.

Rhodzy

He's was about to be subbed for Welbeck until he set up Berbs.

Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaniard
This isnt a thread slating Tevez. I appreciate his energy and enthusiasm, and obviously he set up the goal, but from what I saw and heard he was pretty poor today. Plus he was about to be substituted.

Obviously our midfield wasnt at its best, I think today shows why we need a genuine no.9 who will run past the last defender. At times Tevez can look scrappy, and shows a poor first touch.

I cant help but think that if we had a Saha-like player, (someone with pace) we would have won more comfortably.
have you seen the goal yet mate?

mark o

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretlow
It is not a question of selling him as he is not ours, it is a question of 'should we buy him'?

Unread 17-01-2009, 06:30 PM
Rossi the Red

I think he done alright considering he's playing with a knock.

Unread 17-01-2009, 06:30 PM
Spaniard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretlow
Benzema NFT

Would love us to get him in. He's strong as hell, fast as hell too.

Would love us to get him in. He's strong as hell, fast as hell too.

Realistically, we wont get both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crumps
I like him but his performances of late have been poor and we are seriously lacking pace and a physical presence up front, too much fannying about when you need the option to be direct from time to time.
Yup looks like he's running in treacle. His game looks really scrappy at the moment and he isnt clinical enough.

Darren Bent?

Unread 17-01-2009, 06:33 PM
Spaniard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
have you seen the goal yet mate?
No my stream messed up, was it a good'un?

From what I saw though, he didnt look a real threat. Berbs may be a lazy git, but his technique is so good that he can send defenders into panic, plus he plays some superb through-balls.

Unread 17-01-2009, 06:33 PM
Whalefish

Thought he had a decent game overall. First half a bit iffy but worked his %@#$&!s off second half.

I thought that was a good away performance. Didn't win at a canter but played well just frustrating in the final third.

Unread 17-01-2009, 06:36 PM
Tiberian

He is a good player, at times in the second half of last season he was excellent but he is not an elite level forward, and although his energy and workrate( and important goals) make him a cult figure he could be replaced without too much fuss.

A Saha type would give Utd an excellent balance, playmaker in Berbatov, all rounder in Rooney. Both could flourish with a pacy, powerful direct striker. Especially away from home to give a counter attacking threat.

Crumps

Quote:
Yup looks like he's running in treacle. His game looks really scrappy at the moment and he isnt clinical enough.

Darren Bent?
Yep.

The complete lack of forwards with his physical attributes mixed with the ability to finish (albeit it a little erratically since he went to Spuds) and head a ball.

marlo

we should have spent our 30m on a no.9.

if we get rid of tevez and get a number 9. who does he start with??

tevez is our best striker imo.

Unread 17-01-2009, 06:43 PM
The Return of JC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhodzy
He's was about to be subbed for Welbeck until he set up Berbs.
Apparently he was about to be subbed at Stoke too.

Surely this means we should just be poised to take him off for 90 minutes.

Unread 17-01-2009, 06:44 PM
Spaniard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whalefish
Thought he had a decent game overall. First half a bit iffy but worked his %@#$&!s off second half.

I thought that was a good away performance. Didn't win at a canter but played well just frustrating in the final third.
But is he clinical enough?

Unread 17-01-2009, 06:46 PM
jem

Default tevez

has been in and out and knows he's second choice.

under the circumstances, you'd have to think he has more to offer than he can show at the moment - his form is poor. he'll never be a reliable goalscorer, but he works his %@#$&!s off. there has to be room for him in our squad if the likes of park and fletch can get a game.

on the other hand, we have been missing a number 9 for a long time. a player like saha be wonderful. maybe a fit one who doesn't scuff chances. and isn't a miserable @#%&! ex-gooner, apparently.

Unread 17-01-2009, 06:49 PM
Whalefish

Quote:
No but then neither Berbatov or Rooney are IMO.

It's Rooney and Berbatov when all fit and available. I'd probably prefer a more traditional number nine as an option off the bench.

I can't be arsed to go into a debate re a more traditional 10/9 combo save it can become very predictable. However at the moment are attacking contingent are largely predictably frustrating.

I thought the midfield today - until the end - was largely a pedestrian affair which certainly didn't help our attacking players. Very solid but lacking any guile of incisive play.

Edit: That was Tevez's 29th game for Utd today, so the commentator said. Is that 29 starts or 29 appearances. Even so, he's getting games.

Unread 17-01-2009, 06:50 PM
Crumps

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollowman
we should have spent our 30m on a no.9.

if we get rid of tevez and get a number 9. who does he start with??

tevez is our best striker imo.
He's really slow, his decision making has been pretty poor of late, his goal return isn't great although he has scored some vitally important goals. Looks a shadow of the player he threatened he would be earlier in his career where he was quick of the mark then used his strength to stay in front of defenders and scored goals for fun. His performance against Barca is up there with my favourite by a red ever and I love the way he selflessly works for the team and never gives up. Darren Campbell she be brought in or something as he could really do with sprint training.

Rooney has more in his locker imo and although I am hardly Berbatov's biggest fan his ability to bring others into the game and his ball retention is top notch. It's a shame about him having ME though.

Proper number 9 either needs to be brought in or Wellbeck/Campbell need to be given proper chances if deemed good enough by the management of course. If Wellbeck can develop physically in the right way it looks like we've got one hell of a player there.

Oh to have Andy Cole in his pomp in this team.

Unread 17-01-2009, 06:50 PM
The Return of JC

Quote:
Is Rooney?

Are any of our players?

Unread 17-01-2009, 06:51 PM
Rhodzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Return of JC
Apparently he was about to be subbed at Stoke too.

Surely this means we should just be poised to take him off for 90 minutes.
Fergie should try and take Tevez off at 65 minutes, would save us alot of heartache.
Closed Thread