United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 10-04-2011, 02:01 AM
J_RED

Quote:
Originally Posted by toseeunited
i don't compare pig to anyone else at united past or present, i take him for face value, and he is a good shot stopper, but nothing more. his distribution is the worst i've seen from a premier league goalkeeper, and certainly isn't up to the standards expected of a manchester united keeper.

it's him who wants to leave, so good luck to him.
Mark Bosnich's was far far worse tbfopinion

Unread 10-04-2011, 05:37 AM
borsuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by utd99
Which is probably why this has come up now, with Edwin retiring, rather than earlier. PiG doesn't strike me as a smacked-arse, but unless he was told when he came in that he was number two and that's that, then I can't blame him for wanting to move on.

Problem with offering him that shot now, is that you are unlikely to get the calibre of 'keeper you want unless they know they will be first choice.
he'd be given a shot at no 1 if his performances merited it but they don't. the flaws in his game - distribution, occasional handling, a tendency to panic at times - are not what united want and those aren't going to change.

it's a fallacy to say he's never had a chance to be no 1. since he arrived he's had the chance, he's auditioned numerous times, he's been watched every day, he's played sequences of games when vds has been injured and he's not been what we want.

he's done a good job for us but he's never a no 1, especially with his kicking and inability to control the ball. united's keeper has to be able to play with the ball at feet - vds is practically a sweeper a lot of the time - and not just slice it into touch in a panic.

the third best keeper of the last 20 years isn't kuszczak, btw, it's raimond van der gouw.

Unread 10-04-2011, 08:35 AM
ReligiousRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by utd99
Every single memeber of our squad should have the same opportunity to claim a spot in the first eleven if their performances merit it. It's the right and proper way to manage a big squad. I think if he were told you have the same chance as the guy coming in, he would stay.
I agree with this, so when you look at his distribution,kicking,cross catching ....He isn't good enough for the number 1 spot, great shot stopper but he couldn't catch a cold and safe hands is a basic must have for any number 1, he wants to leave so good look to him.

Not good enough to be the number 1 though imo, simple as that.

Unread 10-04-2011, 08:59 AM
irk

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppy
I was just talking to Willy van de Kerkhof and he was saying talks are at a pretty advanced stage for Big Ed to do another year.
Rene told me he's full of shit

Unread 10-04-2011, 09:07 AM
borsuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by irk
Rene told me he's full of shit
don't you talk about edwin like that

Unread 10-04-2011, 09:40 AM
irk

Quote:
Originally Posted by borsuk
don't you talk about edwin like that
not about eddy-baby, about willy. not very close for twins apparently.
Closed Thread