United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 31-01-2016, 02:20 PM
My Name is Keith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlestown Rouge
What do you think the potential future financing model should be for United?
Nice of pure to ask obviously and I'd hate to disappoint. tbf we've done this one to death over the years. The German model on the face of it looks far and away the best model to adopt. A proportionate fans owned model - sustainable, keeps the fans engaged, lower ticket prices etc.

Just can't ever see it happening at United - not whilst there's untapped tv markets and franchise shit to exploit. The saving grace is that those markets can only be exploited if we continue to be successful so the club need to invest back in the club to maintain that.

The stuff around the academy should concern every united fan who cares about the club. We should have one of the best academies in the world given how much hot air is given to the subject of youth and Mufc. Current debuts of youth players in the 1st team suggests we've done pretty well to date but the lack of investment (whilst others do) suggests that won't continue.

But whilst everyone should be arsed about it, I'm generally just not anymore. There's no point being that arsed about something you can't influence and the club and game has changed beyond recognition. A bad example but lots of the teenage lads in bury go to watch bury now because it accessible and affordable. When I was a kid, everyone supported either city or United and we could all go and afford to get in.

Even my own kids are far less arsed about United than I was at their age and I still take them. It doesn't bode well.

Unread 31-01-2016, 03:44 PM
andyroo

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Name is Keith
Nice of pure to ask obviously and I'd hate to disappoint. tbf we've done this one to death over the years. The German model on the face of it looks far and away the best model to adopt. A proportionate fans owned model - sustainable, keeps the fans engaged, lower ticket prices etc.

Just can't ever see it happening at United - not whilst there's untapped tv markets and franchise shit to exploit. The saving grace is that those markets can only be exploited if we continue to be successful so the club need to invest back in the club to maintain that.

The stuff around the academy should concern every united fan who cares about the club. We should have one of the best academies in the world given how much hot air is given to the subject of youth and Mufc. Current debuts of youth players in the 1st team suggests we've done pretty well to date but the lack of investment (whilst others do) suggests that won't continue.

But whilst everyone should be arsed about it, I'm generally just not anymore. There's no point being that arsed about something you can't influence and the club and game has changed beyond recognition. A bad example but lots of the teenage lads in bury go to watch bury now because it accessible and affordable. When I was a kid, everyone supported either city or United and we could all go and afford to get in.

Even my own kids are far less arsed about United than I was at their age and I still take them. It doesn't bode well.
The thing is those two approaches needn't exclude themselves. The huge commercial income means the club can easily afford cheaper tickets for matchgoers in the normal seats - while continuing to fleece the corporates of course.

Only we waste so much of the incomings on servicing the pointless debt.

Unread 31-01-2016, 03:47 PM
dunk

Love a good news story on a dreary Sunday

Unread 31-01-2016, 03:55 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
Love a good news story on a dreary Sunday
I was thinking just now how the tone of everything to do with United at the moment is negative. Every news story, every bit on sky sports or BT it's just blanket, non-stop negative coverage.

Now, i know i moan more than anyone and i lap it all up...and yes I admit i'm guilty...but I actually care and i'm not sticking the boot in just to sell papers/get views.

There's a real sense of 'playing to the gallery' about the media at the moment where United are concerned. Literally every story is either a)crushingly negative about the manager and/or club in general or b)transfer gossip about united buying someone.

You can tell how piss-poor the premier league has become this season because there is literally nothing else to talk about. Now that Jose Mourinho got sacked, his soap opera isn't there to take up headlines any more so United struggling is literally the only interesting thing about this league.

Unread 31-01-2016, 04:21 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
I was thinking just now how the tone of everything to do with United at the moment is negative. Every news story, every bit on sky sports or BT it's just blanket, non-stop negative coverage.

Now, i know i moan more than anyone and i lap it all up...and yes I admit i'm guilty...but I actually care and i'm not sticking the boot in just to sell papers/get views.

There's a real sense of 'playing to the gallery' about the media at the moment where United are concerned. Literally every story is either a)crushingly negative about the manager and/or club in general or b)transfer gossip about united buying someone.

You can tell how piss-poor the premier league has become this season because there is literally nothing else to talk about. Now that Jose Mourinho got sacked, his soap opera isn't there to take up headlines any more so United struggling is literally the only interesting thing about this league.
You've pretty much nailed it there. The other clubs and fans in this country don't like it, but without a strong United side, this country is without interest to the vast majority of people, including everywhere else in the World. Scudamore alluded to it in the Moyes season, the PL is less than half the 'product' without United at the top.

Unfortunately our demise has long been waited for, and we just have to accept that many people will wallow and savour in it, probably happier with that than any incidental success their club may have seen.

The problem we have is that the club that dominated for 20+ years with cast iron leadership qnd an infrastructure that was the envy of the World, is gone. It has to be rebuilt completely, and it's going to take ages with a plan and competent people to oversee the rebuild, neither of which we currently seem to possess

Unread 31-01-2016, 04:25 PM
Charlestown Rouge

Keith, Sparky and Dunkles nailing it - as does Jonathan Liew. Suck it up and take your medicine, the same one we have been giving out in large doses for twenty years - like a man.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/foo...vel-in-it.html

Has Pure come up with a solution to the ownership dilemma yet?

Unread 31-01-2016, 06:30 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cream
It's a process.
A glacially slow one, evidently.

Unread 31-01-2016, 08:25 PM
Tumescent Throb

just on the academy, it's understandable that the u-18s is likely to the the toughest part of LvG's work in getting the play-style embedded throughout all levels, especially with the results pressure he's had - largely brought on by himself maybe - with the 1st team.

if it works then long-term it will be worth it. the u-21s seem to be doing just fine. the key thing is that they all know if they do their work & are good enough the manager will give them a chance with the 1st team squad.

as with all long-term plans, it's not just the 18 month's work with the 1st team that would be at risk of being thrown down the drain if the manager is changed now.

Unread 01-02-2016, 10:34 AM
Denis Irwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Name is Keith

Doubt that's even enough tbh, Keith. The owners will be happy for us to arsenal-along for the foreseeable, as long as enough punters buy into it one way or another. Would love a new wave/punk awakening and everyone starts supporting Oldham, Doncaster, Huddersfield etc with standing, cheap admission, local boozer before and after etc. Pie in the sky though.

Unread 01-02-2016, 11:27 AM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis Irwell
Pie in the sky though.
wiganste's idea of heaven.

Unread 01-02-2016, 12:36 PM
Denis Irwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
wiganste's idea of heaven.
Wot? Pies?

Unread 01-02-2016, 04:11 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Doubt that's even enough tbh, Keith. The owners will be happy for us to arsenal-along for the foreseeable, as long as enough punters buy into it one way or another. Would love a new wave/punk awakening and everyone starts supporting Oldham, Doncaster, Huddersfield etc with standing, cheap admission, local boozer before and after etc. Pie in the sky though.
Which they might not be if Pep beings Messi and other superstars with him, and they really *do* start winning everything......

Unread 01-02-2016, 04:35 PM
Red Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by red in cumbria
Which they might not be if Pep beings Messi and other superstars with him, and they really *do* start winning everything......
He may bring one or two from barca but players like messi,naymar etc.wont be coming.

Take note woody

Unread 01-02-2016, 05:33 PM
jem

Quote:
Wot? Pies?
pie in the sky. yes. obvs.

Unread 01-02-2016, 08:40 PM
TheToppestRed

Why is anyone surprised. If you look at their heritage, it is par for course.

Unread 02-02-2016, 12:05 AM
red in cumbria

Thumbs up

Great username, pal.
Closed Thread