United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 08-12-2012, 06:40 PM
Neo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiffy
Our longest spell in the Premier League without winning it was with Keane as captain. When he left the club results improved immediately and we went on to win the league, unexpectedly for me and many others. He was a good player but he wasn't some supernatural being people often make him out to be. People will bang on about Turin in 99 but his legacy is tainted by his treatment of other players at the club. He was captain at the time yet acted like a selfish brat.
Disagree.

Isn't Keane the most successful captain in United history? How much did Robson win? Obviously Robson played in weaker teams, but I don't think it's a coincidence that we went through such a successful spell in the late 90s/early 2000s with Keane as the leader. I'd say we went through such a successful spell largely because he was the leader.

Also, he took on the captaincy after Cantona; that burden must have been huge and would have crushed 99% of players. Instead of hiding, Keane carried us onto an even higher level than Eric did. Without him we'd have won nowhere near as much as we did.

He was a @#%&! because he was a winner. It's also the reason why he won't be a good manager - because he gets frustrated by players who have less ability and less dedication than himself. As a captain on the pitch, he was incredible.

Unread 08-12-2012, 06:46 PM
Tiberian

Was Schmeichel the captain the year Utd won the treble?

Unread 08-12-2012, 06:49 PM
thenorthwillriseagain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberian
only in the cl final

Unread 08-12-2012, 06:50 PM
Zorg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo
He was a @#%&! because he was a winner.
Disagree, I think he was a winner because he was a @#%&!.

Unread 08-12-2012, 06:54 PM
Neo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberian
I don't think so.

He was captain for United for most of the 1997/98 season, but that was because Keane was out injured for most of the campaign. Officially Keane was club captain, though.

Noticeably we ended that season empty-handed. When Keane came back fully fit for 1998/99, he reclaimed the armband and we finished the season fairly well.

Unread 08-12-2012, 08:17 PM
zanzare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo
Disagree.

Isn't Keane the most successful captain in United history? How much did Robson win? Obviously Robson played in weaker teams, but I don't think it's a coincidence that we went through such a successful spell in the late 90s/early 2000s with Keane as the leader. I'd say we went through such a successful spell largely because he was the leader.

Also, he took on the captaincy after Cantona; that burden must have been huge and would have crushed 99% of players. Instead of hiding, Keane carried us onto an even higher level than Eric did. Without him we'd have won nowhere near as much as we did.

He was a @#%&! because he was a winner. It's also the reason why he won't be a good manager - because he gets frustrated by players who have less ability and less dedication than himself. As a captain on the pitch, he was incredible.
spot on.

Unread 08-12-2012, 08:47 PM
denis lawless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo
Disagree.

Unread 08-12-2012, 11:07 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo
I don't think so.

He was captain for United for most of the 1997/98 season, but that was because Keane was out injured for most of the campaign. Officially Keane was club captain, though.

Noticeably we ended that season empty-handed. When Keane came back fully fit for 1998/99, he reclaimed the armband and we finished the season fairly well.
Very well put
Closed Thread